iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vancouver Island and BC mountains

Started by florida, May 09, 2019, 09:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

We are soon off to Vancouver Island,(not the city!)for 3 weeks.  We like to let the road take us wherever it goes and we try to stay away from places that tour buses go. Not always possible but we do our best. We stay in B&B's and sometimes will rent a house for 3 or 4 days.  We are having a terrible time finding places to go that aren't tourist traps so could use some guidance. We would like, if we have time, to get to the mountains of BC but have no desire to visit the towns of Banff or Jasper. We typically travel about 100 miles a day so we see as much as we can.  
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

tule peak timber

I fished black cod out of Tofino 30 years ago and boy was it a pretty area. Bring your camera !
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Bandmill Bandit

You could spend the entire 3 weeks just on the Island/s but if you want to do some of the interior head up the #5 from Kamloops heading to the #16 and catch Wells Gray Provincial Park. It is rugged and beautiful country and does not attract the crowds that the national parks do. 

Its been a few years since we were in there. Its great place to do a rental RV for a week or so.
The camping is some of the most spectacular in the Province and the roads are good.       
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

florida

Tofino is on our list and I think we already have a 3 day house rental there right on the water. It's a very popular tourist destination now though.

Wells Gray Park sounds like just what we're looking for! My wife agrees with you that we will never get off Vancouver Island!
Retired now!

sawguy21

What BB said! However, good luck finding accomodation without reservations well in advance. Once you leave Parksville take 19A, the old highway, north to Courtney/Comox. The scenery is spectacular and the seafood....
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tule peak timber

doc henderson

tule, that is a great pic, real shinny with a big ol belly and fish lips...  and the fish aint bad either! :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Another longline pic from up Tofino way, another pot belly !

Magicman

Looks like you have always been attracted to "slabs" Rob.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

That looks like the real deal.  You have been there and done a few things!  I bet there is still a faint smell of fish on your hands, no wonder your dogs all love you so much!  best regards.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

tule peak timber

Fishing yes.....From Alaska to Central America 

snowstorm

just outside of banff is a ski mt. you can drive up for free. the view is nice. the evening we went there. there was 3 black bear 20 or more goats and the same of sheep in the rd. in revelstoke there is a small logging museum up towards the dam. and a bigger one for the train. there is a big steam engine inside. vancouver is a big island . have been half way by road and all the way by boat

Stephen1

Head to Vancouver island, make your way to the north end, Port Hardy. Book the Ferry, book the 1st class lounge for 35$ more...you will not regret it. The ferry travels the inside passage to Prince Rupert. absolutly a life time trip,Takes about 16-18 hrs. It stops at 2-3 ports on the way, Haida Gai is a native island and yes a bit of a tourist area but only accessable by ferry. It is worth a day or two there if you can swing it.
Prince Rupert is a port town in the middle of no where on the coast. Book a fishing trip and see all the whales and marine life ( if you didn't see enough on your ferry trip) . Head to Smithers BC a beautiful little town at the base of a Mountain. 
On your way to Smithers is the "Alsakan Highway" Take it to Alaska, about an hours drive to see the Bald Eagles and Grizzlies fishing the Salmon in the Alaskan Rain Forest preserve. If the salmon are running it is unbelievable.
Drop in and visit Percy. I bet he knows more about the Salmon, 
come back down and head east on HWY 16 towards Smithers, Prince George and then Jasper. take HWY 93 from Jasper to Banff on the Ice Fields Parkway( do not miss this drive) It has been rated as the TOP ten Drives in the world. 
I lived and worked in Smithers and Prince George for a while and played tourist. 
I also lived in Jasper for 2 winters skiing the all the mountains. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

GAB

florida:
If you drop in and see Percy you will be in Nowheres, BC.
He is between Terrace and Rosewood on the E side of the highway.
He has an arched banner over his entrance that reads "THICK AND THIN".
Note: It is easier to see the banner if you are heading N.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

sawguy21

:D I have lived in B.C. most of my life and haven't seen anywhere near all of it. It is a big place and much is very remote. I worked in helilogging for a few years and got into some incredibly beautiful country hundreds of miles from nowhere.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rubberfish

Vancouver Island is 12,000 sq miles of greatness. A 3 week trip will be even greater. 
I know you guys will enjoy your holiday up here.
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

florida

My travel planner, wife, has now ruled out BC and says we'll have more than we can do on Vancouver Island. I'm a little bummed about BC but she always does such a great job planning our trips that I let her go. She does include lots of places she knows I'll love so it works out. The trip from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert sounds like something we'd both love. I'll pass all your tips on to her and see what we can fit in, everything sounds wonderful.  Our problem is time or lack of time. Too many places that we want to go but not enough years yet to get to them all. My advise to everyone is to go now, don't wait until you retire.  
Retired now!

btulloh

You guys will have a great trip no matter how you slice it.  There's a lot to see on Vancouver Island and it's a unique area.  You might even find time to work in a day trip ferry ride to the mainland.  Have fun and keep us posted!
HM126

florida

Looking at the ferry trip to Prince Rupert. Would we need or want a car when we got there? I'm going to guess that we would. This makes my head hurt! Lo! Too many places to go and too muc to see! Realistically this will be the only trip we'll make to western Canada as I had to agree to another trip to Scotland next summer and I'm trying to talk the boss into Alaska the year after that.
Retired now!

btulloh

Can't answer the car question.  Even if you stick to walking around for a bit in Prince Rupert, the whole ferry ride thing is worth it.  Mopeds maybe.  Bikes.

I think it will work out well once you get to the island and just let it unfold as it comes.  
HM126

Bandmill Bandit

If you go up to Rupert I May be able to get my son to show you places tourists don't even know exist. He's been up there for a 4 months and has found places his  brother in-law didn't know exist and he grew up in that region.  
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

florida

The boss is onboard with the inside passage suggestion!  I can't find what we want on the fare schedule so I'll be calling them as soon as they are open this morning.  BB- Even if your son couldn't show us around just some hints of where to go would be great!  What's he doing there for 4 months?
Retired now!

florida

Sadly it seems that the ferry to Prince Rupert only does daytime trips after 6/19  which is after we'll be back in Florida. We are now looking at a ferry trip to Ocean Falls or Bella Coola. Any thoughts on either of those?
Retired now!

Stephen1

Quote from: florida on May 13, 2019, 11:49:32 AM
Looking at the ferry trip to Prince Rupert. Would we need or want a car when we got there? I'm going to guess that we would. This makes my head hurt! Lo! Too many places to go and too muc to see! Realistically this will be the only trip we'll make to western Canada as I had to agree to another trip to Scotland next summer and I'm trying to talk the boss into Alaska the year after that.
A car in Prince Rupert might be usefull but you can rent one. It is a small port town. Get on the VIA train at Prince Rupert, take it to Jasper and then the train from Jasper back to Vancouver. about a 4 day trip. you will see some great mountains and scenery.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

florida

Stephan1

Thanks but Prince Rupert is out due to night only ferry trips until 6/19. Now Ocean Falls is out as well due to once a week ferry trips.  Looks like Bella Coola or nothing so we are working on that. Looks like an interesting place but even there it's going to be just an overnight turn around due to the ferry schedules. I sure wish we had more time!
Retired now!

Thank You Sponsors!