iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kubota D722 diesel for sawmill use?

Started by Two Trax, May 24, 2019, 10:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Trax

Still looking to repower my B20 mill from the 25 hp Kohler to a diesel. Have not come across the right deal yet. But found something interesting today. 

A Kubota D722 3 cylinder diesel that currently is in a working lawn mower with low hours for a very fair price. 

The good:

Everything is there! Can simply cut the frame rails and it is basicly ready to mount, including radiator, hoses, belts etc. Control panel could be used, has ignition switch, gauges, controls etc. Motor is rated @ 3600 rpm so no playing with pulley ratios, just have to get a stub shaft made. Weight is not too bad, probably under 160 lb. 

The bad:

The motor is 19 hp. On paper the Kohler makes more hp and a bit more torque. I have been around small diesels enough to know they usually punch above their weight. But was actually looking for a bit more displacement and hp/torque. Of course that comes with the weight penalty.

Would appreciate any input members may have to share. Let's hear it!
Livin the dream!

Southside

Can't specifically comment on the engine, but increasing HP or torque by any appreciable amount is a great way to find the weakest link downstream from the engine, usually it is discovered in an eventful manner too.  Personally I think from a power curve standpoint you would do fine as a diesel will be able to maintain torque better under load than the gas so that alone will increase production without inviting weakest link opportunities.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

JRWoodchuck

I have a Kubota d662 on mine I believe it's rated at 19hp as well. Does pretty good. Always would like more power. Refer units generally have small/light diesels in them for relatively cheap. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

BigZ La

In the 3 cylinder Kubota also made  25, 26 and 28 hp versions. I have picked up a few for myself and friends over the years. They are in many different brand commercial mowers. I don't know about one in a sawmill but in mowers that diesel will outperform a 25 hp gas engine, very big difference.

ladylake

I'd get at least a 25hp diesel, with a 19hp I don't think you'd gain any cutting speed just way better fuel economy .  Those used lawn mowers are a good place to find a low hour used one.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Two Trax

Thanks for the replies. Good feedback. That is why I asked! I was going to go take a second look and see how the engine handled a heavy grass load. Called the guy before going to Sunday services and it had not yet sold, but there was a message on my phone when we got out a fellow had stopped and bought it, so.....back to looking.

I am having trouble finding a lower hour unit. The bulk of what I find has 3-4 thousand hours on. Would like to find something around 1000 hours or less. Not in a hurry so will keep looking. Have seen some lower hour units on Ebay, just a bit leary of something I cannot see and hear running.

Livin the dream!

ladylake

I have over 9000 hours on my 29 HP Isuzu , runs great and doesn't use oil.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Two Trax

Thanks Steve. Yep I am aware a properly maintained little diesel will likely run 10,000+ hours. And if I found one with a 2-3 thousand hours that I was convinced had been meticulously maintained, I would likely buy it. Have not found that yet. 

Original Kohler still working fine right now, gives me time to find one that suits me. While I knew this one could likely be a bit small, it met my criteria, and it was all there. Would have been a very easy swap.
Livin the dream!

Thank You Sponsors!