The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Just the Facts, the Crown virus.  (Read 89299 times)

Offline Don P

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Calculator Index
Re: Just the Facts, the Crown virus.
« Reply #2660 on: September 27, 2021, 04:57:07 PM »
I think that was one of those statistics we hear tell of that are made up on the spot  :D.

A couple of weeks ago 100% of the covid patients in our hospital were unvaxxed. A woman my wife works with has CF. She needed to get to the ICU, she was closing up and coughing up blood. Two days later they got her in. That has never happened.

I don't recall that with smokes or alcohol. In the US we are at 680,000 deaths last I heard, from my memory of the body count I think the variant has taken more lives. The undertaker here has been quite busy.
The future is a foreign country, they will do things differently there - Simon Winchester

Online HemlockKing

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2661 on: September 27, 2021, 05:53:11 PM »
I think that was one of those statistics we hear tell of that are made up on the spot  :D.

A couple of weeks ago 100% of the covid patients in our hospital were unvaxxed. A woman my wife works with has CF. She needed to get to the ICU, she was closing up and coughing up blood. Two days later they got her in. That has never happened.

I don't recall that with smokes or alcohol. In the US we are at 680,000 deaths last I heard, from my memory of the body count I think the variant has taken more lives. The undertaker here has been quite busy.
680 but is also been over 1.5 year… the data for smoke and liquor is just per year 
Building the land of my dreams.

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
  • Unofficial Team Physician
    • Share Post
« Reply #2662 on: September 27, 2021, 06:37:09 PM »
Hemlock:

Covid:  680,000 deaths in 1.5 years

Smoking:  

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.Mar. 23, 2020

Alcohol:  

An estimated 95,000 people (approximately 68,000 men and 27,000 women) die from alcohol-related causes annually,15 making alcohol the third-leading preventable cause of death in the United States.

So smoking and Covid have similar annual death rates.  Alcohol is certainly a serious cause of death, but is not statistically close to those two.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #2663 on: September 27, 2021, 08:44:14 PM »
   My 9 y/o gd caught Covid last week. She has been quarantined with her 2 older sisters. She had no smell was how they became suspicious. After 2 days she was feeling normal and running around. No others have symptoms so far. My son and SIL had it last November. I think the 9 y/o can go back to school later this week but the older girls have to wait another 4-5 days.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #2664 on: September 27, 2021, 08:46:06 PM »
Some of the areas pushing the passports the hardest have legalized or at least de criminalized almost every street drug.

Yup, all for your own good. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2665 on: September 27, 2021, 10:07:07 PM »
Today I was at our local Amish store and an older woman was filling  up a cart with  canning  supplies.  I joked with her to leave some for others and she told me she was loosing her job tomorrow and would  have time to start  canning.  A friend  had told her about our store so she drove out from Rochester.  Turns out she is an ICU nurse  loosing  her job for refusing  the vaccine.  She worked 12 hour plus days for over a year now dealing with  people very sick  from covid and also reactions from the vaccines. Had no problems all that time following procedures but now will be fired. She said more staff from her hospital at all levels will also be fired tomorrow.  At that point  her hospital will have too many beds filled for the number of staff left. Also said the state  is refusing  unemployment benefits for anyone  fired tomorrow but felt lawsuits would  change that. I wouldn't want  to be in a hospital  in NY tomorrow. My body my choice is no longer  being  honored in NY and I could tell she was going  to miss nursing but looking forward to some time for herself. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2666 on: September 27, 2021, 10:31:44 PM »
Filled hospital beds is a result of those who make the choice. Not hard to understand that bottom line. 

Sad that hospital administrators are having to require their nurses to be vaccinated, but the same is happening in many hospitals and other institutions and businesses. 
There are other patients with a need for hospital beds beyond just those going in with Covid. They deserve to be in a safe (as possible) environment which to me would include vaccinated staff. 
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
  • Evil Prevails when Good Men Standby and Do Nothing
    • Share Post
« Reply #2667 on: September 27, 2021, 10:52:46 PM »
i think there should be an exemption also if you already had the disease.  i do not know that i have had it.  i am tired a lot, but i am 60 and working more than i like.  If you have antibodies you should not need vaccinated.  If i can stick tubes down very ill patients airways with my face 10 inches away and not get it, surely asymptomatic nurses with covid can keep it from patients.  i think cancer or heart transplant units would have to be an exception.  i guarantee we have a job in Kansas for anyone who wants it as a nurse.  we do not yet require it at the hospital, but my corporation/company does.  no vaccine after nov. 1 or you are fired, or at least cannot work.
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
« Reply #2668 on: September 28, 2021, 02:57:13 AM »
Numbers from NZ today. In the Delta outbreak, only 4% of the adult cases were fully vaccinated people, and none of them have ended up in hospital. 78% was people with no shots, and the balance would be only one shot, or too recent to work properly. An additional ~25% has been in children too young to be vaccinated currently, but fortunately usually less severely affected. 

Deaths from, the vaccine? So for it's ONE. From ~5 million shots. I don't know anyone locally that's had a serious bad side effect. One lady fainted, some felt like crud the next day, plenty of sore arms, but nothing "serious".

Deaths from Covid is now 27, from ~4,000 infections. 

I'm now in the "fully vaxed" group (got shots early due to health issues). Lil and Ms 14 got theirs over the weekend, and get 2nd shots next month. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline firefighter ontheside

• Senior Member x2
  • I like trees.
    • Share Post
« Reply #2669 on: September 28, 2021, 07:40:11 AM »
My wife and I are going to get our booster on Friday.  We both qualify as we are both in high risk jobs.
Hopefully my parents will manage to get it this week too.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025 and MS291
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2670 on: September 28, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »
We had a BSA meeting last night.  social distancing.  got a text this am that one fully vaccinated asymptomatic adult, test + this am.  it is everywhere and delta is more contagious.  you will get the vaccine, or the disease, or both.  The hope is that you will survive if you have the vaccine first.  you are young and healthy and would prob. survive, but we need you able to work, and you might spread it to others.  And there is a chance you could have long term consequences or worse.  Our daily contact with the disease also keeps our immunity up.  Godspeed folks!
timberking B 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor 12 volt tarp motor

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2671 on: September 28, 2021, 08:35:56 AM »
now comes RSV and influenza season.  with less mitigation (after the vaccine) then we may see a terrible flu season.

Offline Claybraker

• Mostly New!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2672 on: September 28, 2021, 08:44:43 AM »
 i am tired a lot, but i am 60 and working more than i like. 
Just a thought, but after 18 months of brutal hours the temptation to get a break has got to be powerful among folks who have reached a certain age. If their portfolios performed half as well as mine the idea of taking the winter off and spending some of the profit in a warmer climate or even just taking the winter off and doing nothing has got to sound pretty appealing. Probably tempting even for younger folks. It's not like they can't go back to work if they want to. The immortal words of David Alan Coe "Take this Job and Shove It." Might explain the reported vax hesitancy among healthcare workers.

Online doc henderson

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2673 on: September 28, 2021, 09:00:55 AM »
Amen!

Offline samandothers

• Senior Member x2
  • Been learning on FF since 1/20/12
    • Share Post
« Reply #2674 on: September 28, 2021, 09:23:08 AM »
Doc,
Prayers for you and other front line folk working to assist those that are sick, not just for your knowledge, skill and compassion but for your well being!

As you often say Godspeed!

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #2675 on: September 29, 2021, 09:18:20 AM »
   We spent a week in Colorado 13-20 Sept and my wife said is the first time she has not gotten a cold or sinus issues from such a trip and says she figures wearing the mask helped and says she may wear one from now on when she flies anywhere.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #2676 on: September 29, 2021, 10:10:10 PM »
Crazy as this may sound, and I do not intend this as a political statement, but maybe we should consider vaccinated and non-vaccinated health care facilities. Have those health care workers who choose not to be vaxed work at a hospital together, which accepts all patients, but would be the preferred facility of those patients and health care workers who choose not to be vaxed.  The hospital workers would be able to exercise their choice and keep employment.  The patients in the vaxed hospital would feel safer, (and yes, they probably would be).  And those that are non-vaxed would be treated by like minded people and be removed from any stigma of their choice.  

Would any non-vaccinated people have strong objections to be shifted to the care of non-vaccinated health care workers?

Now this falls under the broad heading of discrimination, but by choice.  Is anything like this possible?  Just free-form spit-balling an idea here…..
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Offline Southside

• Administrator
  • Have a plan to saw every log you meet.
    • Share Post
    • White Oak Meadows
« Reply #2677 on: September 29, 2021, 10:15:54 PM »
So lets further divide our society.  Did you think that through before posting it?  How about folks who have STDs work in their own facility? Those with a limp go to only one doctor so they don't feel oppressed by "normal walkers".  Where does natural immunity fall into this?  Those folks get treatment at a FEMA camp? 

Seriously, I didn't expect you to say something like that.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Offline doctorb

• Administrator
    • Share Post
« Reply #2678 on: September 29, 2021, 10:36:34 PM »
Of course I see that end of it.  My intent was to have dedicated healthcare workers not lose their jobs, and have people who need all types of care continue to have access to it.  Under this current system, we have both  negatives….people out of work and people whose care is diminished because of Covid.  Obviously, this would be a temporary fix for the good of a community.  Geesh!  We are already so divided on the vax issue that I was merely proposing a potential win win.  People don’t have STD’s by choice.  People are vaccinated or not by choice.  There is a difference.

Offline 21incher

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2679 on: September 29, 2021, 11:04:21 PM »
That sounds like a good idea. I definitely would rather  have a properly educated nurse with 40 years of experience following procedures that is unvaccinated than what NY is starting  to do bringing in untrained National guards and nurses from third world countries without  proper  credentials to fill the gap because they are vaccinated.  They also have closed all walk in care offices and pulled any vaccinated employees  to staff hospitals that will put a big load on emergency rooms in our area. Along with forcing more covid positive to visit er's. Meanwhile the mailman that doesn't  have to be vaccinated and followed no procedures touches everyone in the areas mailbox and mail with  the virus being  able to survive days on paper and cardboard can easily  contaminate a whole neighborhood.  There is no explanation or science for the divisive rules being implemented at this point. 
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, and a logrite cant hook.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Crown

Started by kenfrommaine on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post July 12, 2016, 07:13:16 AM
by Czech_Made
xx
Crown or step

Started by Treehuggers on Sawmills and Milling

10 Replies
Last post March 02, 2020, 05:59:15 PM
by Treehuggers