iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I bought a monster

Started by homesteading, April 23, 2020, 07:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

homesteading

A vallee green monster, anyone else own one? Any tips or thoughts for mods?

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

SawyerTed

Very nice!  Congratulations!

I would think that a powered log turner would be a great mod to start with.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

homesteading

homesteading

Quote from: SawyerTed on April 23, 2020, 08:04:21 PM
Very nice!  Congratulations!

I would think that a powered log turner would be a great mod to start with.
I was thinking that. It has their previous design of a hydraulic lift which is pretty limited in capability due to the design. So I do have some hydraulics on it to play with. Can see it in the video below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9xIj2P57F8

thecfarm

Never heard of these mills, than 2 members buy one in just a few days apart.
You will like sawing.
Looks like a nice place to keep it covered.
Buy a Logrite cantdog or peavey, sponsor on the left, nice people, nice tools.  logrite_cool
What's the plan for the lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quebecnewf

Canadian made mill . I've visited their shop a few times looking over their mills . I like a lot of what I saw . If I was in the market for a new bandsaw it would be one of theirs or one from SMG in Quebec.

My mill Enercraft ( now Baker) was made so well that I will never wear it out . 27 years old now and if you replaced the motor ( it still runs fine ) with a new one you have basically a new mill . 

Checked your profile . Where are you located and what are your sawing plans 

Welcome aboard by the way 

Quebecnewf 

Bruno of NH

The fit and finish on these mills looks very good.
They have alot of nice features.
Look like they push very easy.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

homesteading

Quote from: thecfarm on April 24, 2020, 05:45:48 AM
Never heard of these mills, than 2 members buy one in just a few days apart.
You will like sawing.
Looks like a nice place to keep it covered.
Buy a Logrite cantdog or peavey, sponsor on the left, nice people, nice tools.  logrite_cool
What's the plan for the lumber?
Unfortunately that is where I bought it, so I need to build a shelter for it. 

Yeah Vallee has been around for about twenty years I believe and are just starting to tap into the US market. I am only aware of three distributors currently in the US. One in Maine, NY and Florida. The gentleman in Maine went to Canada to buy one for himself and was so impressed with them and their operations that he left with a distributor agreement.

I'll try and do a review after I play with it a while. 

I was debating between this, norwood, woodmizer and a thomas. Even with all the options this has, 25 hp Honda, 24 ft trailer with double axle, hydraulic lift, power head, four back stops, four log levelers, four dogs, rollers whole length of bed, hydraulic tensioner, etc, it was cheaper than the others.

Lumber is going to be used for a cabin, barn and depending how the economy goes might start doing a little sawing on the side

homesteading

Quote from: Quebecnewf on April 24, 2020, 06:03:02 AM
Canadian made mill . I've visited their shop a few times looking over their mills . I like a lot of what I saw . If I was in the market for a new bandsaw it would be one of theirs or one from SMG in Quebec.

My mill Enercraft ( now Baker) was made so well that I will never wear it out . 27 years old now and if you replaced the motor ( it still runs fine ) with a new one you have basically a new mill .

Checked your profile . Where are you located and what are your sawing plans

Welcome aboard by the way

Quebecnewf
Thank you, we are in Maine. Initially going to build a cabin and a few outbuildings.

thecfarm

Distributor in Maine? Well in my travels I will be looking for that. I hope he gets to the woods expo in Bangor ME next year.
I see the dealer is in Etna.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

homesteading

Quote from: Bruno of NH on April 24, 2020, 06:17:48 AM
The fit and finish on these mills looks very good.
They have alot of nice features.
Look like they push very easy.
Yeah, I was really impressed with them. I struggled with which one to get, either this one or the Big Red XP in the video above, which is a lot of mill for around 9000 with taxes. But I think I'll be happy with the extra horsepower and cutting ability.

homesteading

Quote from: thecfarm on April 24, 2020, 06:38:14 AM
Distributor in Maine? Well in my travels I will be looking for that. I hope he gets to the woods expo in Bangor ME next year.
He's in Etna right off 95, super nice guy. All he has in stock right now is the big red and little blue, doesn't know when he will be getting any more due to covid lock down. He told me prior to this he had a 1-2 week lead time for orders, they are expecting 6-8 weeks after the restrictions are lifted.

K-Guy

I live in Etna and didn't even know he was there. I'll have to stop by. :laugh:
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

memopad

Yeah nice mill  ;D I'm curious how the log lift will work. I didn't consider it too hard since I have a loader and it didn't look like you could fit that large of a log on there anyway. Be sure to share your opinions once you've used in a few times! Have the hydraulic pump would sure be nice to play with though... I really like how they've tucked it away below the deck.

Did you get extra blades for it? I picked up a box of the blades that come with the mill and hope they're decent. I see they're 1.5" wide. Looks like woodmizer has some options for replacements at less cost.
Vallee Green Monster mill
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Hitachi 35U mini excavator
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

homesteading

Quote from: memopad on April 24, 2020, 03:57:44 PM
Yeah nice mill  ;D I'm curious how the log lift will work. I didn't consider it too hard since I have a loader and it didn't look like you could fit that large of a log on there anyway. Be sure to share your opinions once you've used in a few times! Have the hydraulic pump would sure be nice to play with though... I really like how they've tucked it away below the deck.

Did you get extra blades for it? I picked up a box of the blades that come with the mill and hope they're decent. I see they're 1.5" wide. Looks like woodmizer has some options for replacements at less cost.
Agreed, I see it for smaller stuff but I have a tractor with grapples. They have changed the design to a much better one for the same price. They were nice enough to take 1000 dollars off the mill for me because of it. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGVp7pVULrs
I did get the extra blades, I'll see how they work. Thanks for the heads up on the woodmizer blades,
Did you order direct from the factory?

memopad

I ended up ordering through the guy in Florida, but the mill will be shipped to me direct from the factory.
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

memopad

Those new loading arms look great!
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

homesteading

Cleared out the spot for the mill and hauled it out to the land

Used the side by side to back it down.

It took five minutes to level it out, cut stair treads for the cabin. My phone died while recording, will try and record a new one tomorrow with my initial thoughts . I lost a blade already :(. Not sure if it was user error, which I believe it was. 

homesteading

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: homesteading on April 25, 2020, 07:19:09 PMI lost a blade already :(. Not sure if it was user error, which I believe it was.
I think most of us would characterize that as 'user education' rather than error.  :D
 Wow, that is a big beautiful and SHINY machine. Better photos that the manufacturer has on their own website. Congratulations and best of luck with it. You are rolling along now!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

tacks Y

So did your blade break or jump off?

memopad

I ordered mine with single axle and now I'm second guessing myself lol. Do you think the double axle contributes anything major?
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

homesteading

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 25, 2020, 07:50:45 PM
Quote from: homesteading on April 25, 2020, 07:19:09 PMI lost a blade already :(. Not sure if it was user error, which I believe it was.
I think most of us would characterize that as 'user education' rather than error.  :D
Wow, that is a big beautiful and SHINY machine. Better photos that the manufacturer has on their own website. Congratulations and best of luck with it. You are rolling along now!
Lol, good point

homesteading

Quote from: tacks Y on April 25, 2020, 08:54:38 PM
So did your blade break or jump off?
Just jumped off, I think I figured out what caused it, going to try and replicate tomorrow 

homesteading

Quote from: memopad on April 25, 2020, 09:11:14 PM
I ordered mine with single axle and now I'm second guessing myself lol. Do you think the double axle contributes anything major?
It definitely tows good and turns awesome when backing up.  

Lostinmn

Nice machine! I've been looking at a couple of options, and this never even came across my radar.  I'm very interested to hear about how you like them as you get some blades in the logs.  

Please share your likes and dislikes as you start making sawdust!!

I looked up the three US dealers, and admit I was a bit underwhelmed by their websites, didn't seem like they were very well put together or set up.  How was your experience with them on looking at units, ordering and etc?

Happy sawing!!

homesteading

Quote from: Lostinmn on April 26, 2020, 08:17:57 PM
Nice machine! I've been looking at a couple of options, and this never even came across my radar.  I'm very interested to hear about how you like them as you get some blades in the logs.  

Please share your likes and dislikes as you start making sawdust!!

I looked up the three US dealers, and admit I was a bit underwhelmed by their websites, didn't seem like they were very well put together or set up.  How was your experience with them on looking at units, ordering and etc?

Happy sawing!!
Yeah the websites could use some help for sure, the manufacturer updated theirs recently which is better than it was but still is lacking.
The dealer in Maine was awesome, he had the top unit for each of the versions except for the green monster. He is very knowledgeable on the machines and we spent a lot of time go over each one.
I hope to get some sawing done over the next couple days and will give a review of it.

Ljohnsaw

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

homesteading

So been running some logs through the machine and am very happy with the decision of getting it. So the issue with the band jumping off was I have never used a hydraulic tension-er before. I figured once it was set at 2000 lbs I was good. Wasn't aware that it needed to be adjusted the first couple minutes after start up. When the blade jumped the pressure had dropped down to 1200. After keeping a closer eye on it have had no issues.

Simple log leveler design. Takes some force with the bigger logs but isn't too bad.

I like the long handles for the back rests, you can adjust them from the operator side without having to walk around the mill.

The full length rollers are a great addition for offloading.

A simple idea to prevent cutting into your back rests, there is a bolt welded to the blade guide that will hit the arm of the rest to prevent you from going forward. I don't depend on it but like tht it is there.

I love the scale, very simple to read and makes cutting consistent sizes easy.

A pic of the hydraulic loader that I haven't used. I will be swapping out for the new arm design as soon as possible.

Another simple design option for lubrication, they use a bolt and air hose nozzle, when you engage the engine, the bolt pushes the handle and starts the lube flowing.

Been Cutting some oak for stair treads

The only thing I wish was different was the back rests, more beefier, but they work. 

RAYAR

Nice mill, nice pics. Looks like you need to do a back-stop upgrade, they do seem to be on the light side.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

VooDooChikin04

I love these mills. I've been scoping out their design elements since you first posted this one.  Really interesting ideas they have used. 

I do have a question.  What is that serrated foot that lifts the log used for? (maybe a dumb question)

RAYAR

Quote from: VooDooChikin04 on May 08, 2020, 07:08:35 PM
What is that serrated foot that lifts the log used for?
That is the toe board to level the log.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

VooDooChikin04

ah...duh, seems obvious now. Thanks RAYAR

Vautour

QuoteWhoa what is this?? a simple idea to prevent cutting into your back rest??Man some of these manufactures are really thinking outside of the box... i guess people buying these mills won't be joining that "special club" eh 
the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

VooDooChikin04

@homesteading  hey, from your pictures I seem to only count 4 screw Jack's for leveling? Also those 4 corner legs, how well do they work?  

homesteading

@VooDooChikin04 yep just four, one on each end and two under axles, there is actually five legs, there is one between the axles as well.

They work good so far. Leveling took less than five minutes, dropped the front jack, then the back and leveled along the length, used the two between the axles to get side to side. Then dropped the five support legs, tapped them with a rubber mallet to make sure they made good contact and then just backed off the jacks a hair to make sure everything was making good contact.

homesteading

Quote from: Vautour on May 09, 2020, 06:05:23 AM
QuoteWhoa what is this?? a simple idea to prevent cutting into your back rest??Man some of these manufactures are really thinking outside of the box... i guess people buying these mills won't be joining that "special club" eh
Oh I am sure I will

Lostinmn

Quote from: homesteading on May 08, 2020, 06:48:14 AMA pic of the hydraulic loader that I haven't used. I will be swapping out for the new arm design as soon as possible.

Are you giving this design a test run with a log before upgrading?  

Farside Mike

@homesteading or @memopad  
  Any updates on how you're liking the sawmill or any issues to report?  This is my first post on the forum but I've been stalking for a few months.  I've looked at several mills and like the features on the green monster wide, especially the 42" width of cut.  I'm in southeastern NC and unfortunately the closest dealer is in the Florida panhandle but I have been in contact with him via email.  My neighbor operates a tree service and has been piling up logs since I mentioned buying a sawmill so supply is plentiful and varied.  I just hate that so much is piled up and burned when it could be milled.  I looked at sawmills years ago but I didn't have the convenient access to free logs that I have now. 

alan gage

Quote from: Farside Mike on November 11, 2020, 12:18:58 PMI looked at sawmills years ago but I didn't have the convenient access to free logs logs full of nails that I have now.

Fixed it for you. :)

Sorry, I've had run of bad luck with logs in the past few weeks. Most of them from the tree service.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Barrye

Hello
I have just ordered a 24ft Green Monster.
There is a 4 month lag time.
According to their web page they are sold out for 2021.
Next years model has a 5% price incease. 
I was also looking at the Logosol 1001.
Their lag time was 12 weeks.
It comes as a kit and was $5000 more for the same length and components.
The main reason I bought Vallee is they are a Canadian company.
I live in BC.
It has a solid steel ridgid  bed.
And it comes totally assembled.
Barry

Will M

Hello I pick my Green Monster Wide XL up this Coming Friday is there anything I should ask about or doublecheck ? We looked at many, many mills and thought this was best built mill, so what do you think after having one for a while. I am going to install hydraulic log stops, dogs, taper pistons and carriage feed myself. Have log deck already built and a David Brown tractor to facilitate loading and offloading. Very excited to receive mill have had it on order since February. Have lots of logs sitting in yard waiting in yard, lots of Ash, Black Walnut and Beech, some real large logs which is why I went to the wide model.Any thoughts or suggestions would be very much appreciated..Thanks Will

memopad

I've milled a fair amount with my green monster so far and don't have too many complaints. My early cuts were on the wavey side but I cut everything pretty straight now. I'm sure that was a learning curve on my part because I haven't changed anything.

I do have an issue with the blades riding pretty far back on the wheels, just about touching the teeth or getting very close anyway. The back of the blade rides on the guide even when not in a cut. Reading online and on these forums I don't think this is correct. It hasn't given me any issues that I'm aware of but I would like to correct it. That's where the biggest downside of this mill is for me... lack of customer and tech support. The "dealer" I placed my order with for the mill wasn't any help on any questions I had after purchasing. The few times I've called Vallee it was hard for a non French speaker to navigate their phone tree and find someone to talk through. This is mostly on me being a beginner and just needing to figure things out on my own, and it's worked out so far but if I had or have any major issues in the future I can see it being kind of difficult to resolve.

Part of me wishes I would've payed the premium and got a woodmizer just for the dealer support available. They really don't have a mill that fits what I wanted (I can cut 25' and still trailer) but I think it would've been worth the compromise. 
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

DesertHobo

@memopad I'm not familiar with these mills, is there a way to adjust tracking on the band wheels? From what you're saying, I'd think that'd remedy the blade sitting too far back on the wheels and the guides. Are the guides adjustable?

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

memopad

Quote from: DesertHobo on December 09, 2021, 02:51:16 PM
@memopad I'm not familiar with these mills, is there a way to adjust tracking on the band wheels? From what you're saying, I'd think that'd remedy the blade sitting too far back on the wheels and the guides. Are the guides adjustable?
It's been working well enough that I haven't looked in to it yet. I want to say it is adjustable, it looks like most things on the mill are. I wouldn't know where to start on adjusting the tracking.
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

Guido Salvage

As a prelude, I sell adult toys (tractors, farm equipment, trailers, ATVs/UTVs, boats, mowers, hand held OPE, etc.). A couple of weeks ago a guy walks in mid afternoon and asks for the sales manager. I saw Vallee on his jacket and asked if he sold mills. He looked surprised and indicated he did. I totally floored him when I told him I owned a Green Monster.

I debated on the Wide and should have spent the extra $4K to get it. Mine cuts 21', is on a tandem axle trailer and the new style log loader. I got mine at the beginning of the pandemic and have been pleased with it. Since my purchase they have changed the fender and log clamp design.

Guido Salvage

This is how it looked on delivery day...

How it looks now...

Magicman

You won't be running out of something to do for a while.  8)

Add your sawmill and location to your profile so that we will know and remember. :P 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

memopad

I'm surprised the log loaders are on that side of the mill, seems backwards.

I recently had the idle side band wheel bearing go on my mill. Heard the engine start to bog down and smoke started coming out of the rear blade cover before I could disengage the drive. Happened really quickly! I was hoping I could get by with just replacing the bearing but when the bearing self destructed it damaged the spindle as well. Could have it repaired but I'll order a new assembly from Vallee to have a spare on hand. I have about 35 hours on the mill.
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

fluidpowerpro

I'm pretty sure that I have read other threads on here about bearing issues on new Vallee Mills. Must be something with the design.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

bigblockyeti

35 hours for a bearing failure does seem way, way premature.  I would be very interested in what Vallee has to say about that and what's being done to make sure something like that doesn't happen again.  Real bummer that it managed to damage the spindle too.

memopad

I'm not sure if other manufacturers do the same, but it looks like Vallee is using a standard trailer style hub and wheel bearings with a custom spindle to carry the band wheel. Not sure what the wheel speed and load compares between the mill and a loaded trailer. 
Case JX65 tractor/loader
Stihl 021, 241cm, 361

bigblockyeti

Quote from: memopad on December 28, 2022, 08:25:32 AM
I'm not sure if other manufacturers do the same, but it looks like Vallee is using a standard trailer style hub and wheel bearings with a custom spindle to carry the band wheel. Not sure what the wheel speed and load compares between the mill and a loaded trailer.
I know Wood-Mizer, Oscar & Cook sure as heck don't use trailer spindles, that's a bit disappointing to hear.  The sustained loads would be higher than if a small ~1500lb trailer hub were used but a larger hub off of a 5200lb or 7000lb axle would be more appropriate for the load, the speed is likely way high and would necessitate different grease and a different lube schedule.

They do look well built but if they're not also well engineered, it means very little.

barbender

I think bandwheel speeds are similar to trailer wheels at 60 mph. Band speeds range in the area of 4000-6000 feet per minute.
Too many irons in the fire

rusticretreater

Sounds to me like cheap chinese bearings.  I would be searching supplier catalogs for suitable replacements.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

bigblockyeti

Quote from: barbender on December 28, 2022, 11:21:40 AM
I think bandwheel speeds are similar to trailer wheels at 60 mph. Band speeds range in the area of 4000-6000 feet per minute.
Yes, but riding on 19-20" band wheels vs. 24-27" trailer tires.  I guess the little tiny trailer tire riding on 8" rims could be similar, I would also plan on failure around 35 hours with those at constant highway speeds.

Thank You Sponsors!