The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Best firewood saw on the market?  (Read 5593 times)

Offline Spike60

• Share Post
Re: Best firewood saw on the market?
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2021, 09:24:08 AM »
spike ,theres nothing wrong with using any size chainsaw that you have  to cut firewood  ,especially if your just doing it for fun or a hobby . You really don't even need a chainsaw. Axes and crosscut handsaws actually work pretty good. But the original poster ask about recomendations on a faster more powerful saw so he could make some money ,not just because he wanted to be macho.  I'm just glad there are still a few people that wan't to be out in the woods or around a sawmill, it seems like its a dying hobby and /or profession around here in my neck of the woods.
I'm with ya there GG. I did address the OP's situation in some earlier comments. But the thread moved in a direction of more personal preferences so I went along with that as well. Now if you want to add hand tools, that's cool too. I do sometimes use an axe to strip off the small limbs; say an inch or less. Sometimes it's nice to work in the woods without the noise of a chainsaw. Have some old crosscut saws, but my attempt to put an edge on one of them was a comical flop, so no crosscut action for me.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Offline Dave12

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2021, 07:39:35 AM »
To me if you're bucking logs on the ground you need a 70+ cc saw with a 25+" bar.  Lots of power and less bending.  Unless you're at the stage in life of your physical ability doesn't allow you to hold the extra weight of a bigger saw.  If you're only cutting smaller stuff and you have equipment that will lift the logs up for you then a smaller lighter saw will work but I find once you get used to the speed and power of a bigger saw it's hard to go back.  I have a 462c and 362c.  I usually use the 462c but was cutting with the 362c and the difference was very noticeable.
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS261c and MS462c

Offline Old saw fixer

• Full Member x2
  • Grumpy old man!
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2021, 11:36:55 AM »
@Dave12-  I agree with your thinking on bucking with a longer bar and a 462, but my back is on the other side of the argument!
Stihl FG 2, Stihl 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Offline Dave12

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2021, 06:27:30 PM »
@Dave12-  I agree with your thinking on bucking with a longer bar and a 462, but my back is on the other side of the argument!
I watch guys on YouTube bucking logs on the ground with a 261 with a 18" bar and they're bent in half and taking a longer time getting through a log because of lower power output on the saw. It hurts my back watching them.  To me the perfect set up would be something that could get the log between knee and waist height where you could let your powerful heavier saw just melt through the wood....Lather, rinse, repeat.  ;D
Just a small time firewood cutter using a Stihl MS261c and MS462c

Offline bulldozerjoe

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2021, 09:10:38 PM »
Been a stihl guy my whole life, got 021,210,029,029 super, and a 066. Just bought a husky 572.. love it.. man is that thing smooth 
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000
Sthil 021-028super-029-066

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
firewood market

Started by treechopper40 on Forestry and Logging

30 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 05:38:21 PM
by timberjack 450
xx
Firewood market

Started by Onthesauk on General Board

23 Replies
Last post November 20, 2008, 06:19:44 PM
by Onthesauk
xx
Firewood business...big enough market to run a business?

Started by burnwood on Forestry and Logging

60 Replies
Last post August 15, 2014, 07:04:27 AM
by timberlinetree
xx
Just Getting into Sawmilling! How to market wood? What Market?

Started by Ohio Logger on Sawmills and Milling

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 07:58:19 AM
by Ohio Logger