iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best firewood saw on the market?

Started by gman98, May 06, 2020, 06:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys, how's it going?  I'm looking to start a small firewood operation to make a little extra cash on the side.  I've got saws already but I'd like to pick up a new one for firewood.  In everyone's opinion, what's the best firewood saw on the market?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

sawguy21

Opinions are like armpits, everyonne has them and they all smell. :D Are you looking new or used? What length of bar? Are you wanting a pro model or a farm/ranch saw? Do you have a servicing dealer with competent people and a good stock of parts nearby?  Stihl, Husqvarna or Makita will serve you well if you pick the right model for the job. A 50cc with 16 or 18 inch bar would be my choice for firewood, I don't want the weight of anything larger and it will all be smaller deadfall.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

gman98

Quote from: sawguy21 on May 06, 2020, 06:22:24 PM
Opinions are like armpits, everyonne has them and they all smell. :D Are you looking new or used? What length of bar? Are you wanting a pro model or a farm/ranch saw? Do you have a servicing dealer with competent people and a good stock of parts nearby?  Stihl, Husqvarna or Makita will serve you well if you pick the right model for the job. A 50cc with 16 or 18 inch bar would be my choice for firewood, I don't want the weight of anything larger and it will all be smaller deadfall.
Preferably new.  I never seem to have much luck with buying used saws.  I'd like something with a little more torque than a 50cc saw.  Thanks for your input.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

lxskllr

How about money? The obvious choices are Husky/Stihl if money isn't a problem. If you're on a budget, an echo 590 would be a good choice imo.

gman98

Quote from: lxskllr on May 06, 2020, 07:05:58 PM
How about money? The obvious choices are Husky/Stihl if money isn't a problem. If you're on a budget, an echo 590 would be a good choice imo.
I don't want to break the bank with a $1,000+ saw, but I want something quality.  I've already got the 60cc pro saws from both the big manufacturers and an echo 590.  I like all three of them, but I'm seeing if there's something better out there.  I don't need a new saw, but I'm always looking for an excuse to buy one.

Evanguy

Ms291 is a nice firewood saw for the price when they go on sale, but if you have a 60cc pro saw id use that. If you wanted to spend a good chunk a ms362 would be an awesome saw for firewood production

sawguy21

Doesn't sound like he would be happy with a 291. The next step up would be an MS462 or Husky 575 XP with a 24" bar, now we are getting into serious power

thecfarm

You don't have your age available.
I myself would have a 50 cc and a 70cc. I had both for years. I won a Efco 50cc chainsaw on the FF. I had no idea that 70cc was the reason for my sore shoulder. ::)  Shoulder hurt for years, dummy me, kept swinging that 70cc saw. Used the 50cc for limbing and took a while but the pain started to subside. Took awhile for it to sink in why too.  ::) I use the big saw to cut down anything big and the small saw for limbing.  All was good until the crank broke off on the Efco. Need another small saw again. Might even drop down to a 40cc this time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

gspren

Since you already have 60cc pro saws you will need to give more info like you want bigger or smaller or just want permission to get a new saw.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Pine Ridge

Was looking at the saws you have listed, you already have the best firewood saw, 562xp, set it up with whatever length bar you need for the size wood your cutting. Light, very nimble and great power for a 60cc saw, with an 18" bar they cut fast.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Eddie Southgate

Stihl MS 261 C-M . Less than 11 pounds , 50 cc , 4.2 HP , does well with 16"-20" bars . With the RS chain they are cutting demons . Under $600.00 . 
1997 Husqvarna 272xp 24"
1998 Husqvarna 136 12"-14"
2019 Stihl MS261 CM 16"-20" wearing an 18"
1966 ? Remington Super 754
2019 Stihl MS261CM  20"
Stihl 0041av 20"
Stihl 041av Electronic 20"
Stihl 044av
Stihl 056 Magnum II
1963 Ford 2000
801 Ford
Woodchuck

Ianab

Also depends what you are lopping up for firewood. Many folks are slicing up 12" dia thinnings and tops and a 50cc saw does that just fine.  

Locally you might expect to be slicing up 3-4ft dia Eucalyptus, and a MS660 isn't a silly choice. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

celliott

Gman,  If you're gonna be blocking firewood off a log pile, to sell, you want something fast. You already have the 60cc choices. You will be disappointed doing this with a 50cc. I'd say 372/572 or stihl 462. 
But honestly if I'm cutting on a log pile I prefer my 2188 jonsered. 20" bar, cuts real fast. A 372 may not be that much of an improvement over a 562, 20" bar, purely log pile blocking.

My 2 cents, get a 390xp and rock and roll  8)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

gman98

Thanks for the replies guys.  I guess I should have added some more details.  Like celliot mentioned, it'll be piled tree length or semi tree length wood.  I have a 562xp and 362 right now, but I was wondering if anyone here knew of a better option.  I'm doing firewood part time on nights and weekends, so I don't have a lot of time to cut.  Therefore I'd like something with some power.

Thanks

doc henderson

sounds like fun.  You have 3 great saws.  are you missing a size?  are you going to be a one man show, or is the additional saw for employees of family to use.  how big an operation are you planning, or is this just to bring in some extra cash.  I like my 261 pro saw. light and powerful.   I use it on the mill.  I assume you are talking about hardwood.  what size logs.  I occ. split up old elm, that is 36 inches round.  I use a crane on my track loader to get it on the splitter.  I have an older 046mag,  and an 880 for really big stuff.  If you have all the saws you need, maybe a good sharpener to keep the chain sharp.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

The 60cc saws you have are good ones. If you want faster, then you need more cc's, and that  means more money and weight. 

I'd throw a Makita / Dolmar 790x into the choices, just because it's a 79cc pro grade saw that doesn't weight a lot more than a 60cc saw.

But saws in that cc / power range are all "pro" grade, and cost accordingly. They will all "get the job done" too. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

homeheater

You have fine choices in 60cc saws.  "Firewood saw"  is a term with so many variables.   60 is almost all I ever need to get the job done.  Can get by with 1-2 tanks per year on my 24" saw.  I would think you are getting awful close to the $1k you don't want to spend for a significant upgrade to what you have to get one new.  I could very well be wrong though because I am not in tune with the big saws.  I am loaded at 50-55cc and that's just what I need.

Tom King

Al_Smith

First of all you'll never get rich by selling fire wood .That said every chainsaw ever made will cut the stuff .A 70 cc saw is a nice mid sized saw .For all intents they all cut about the same regardless of what anybody brags them up .Then it's how much you want to pay and how available is service for one .

reride82

Gman,

When I started firewood about 15 years ago, I was using a 455 husqvarna, then about 9 years ago I stepped up to a 372xp, and this past few years I have been using a 395xp husqvarna. I cut and drag tree length to my processor and cut everything on the landing. If I had to pick just one saw, it'd be the 372xp, but the 395xp really speeds up the whole process. As a background I'm cutting dead standing lodgepole pine, 35 years old, 6'5" and 235lbs.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Fishnuts2

You already have some of the best firewood saws already.  I'd second the idea to lay hands on a Dolmar or Makita 79XX.  Put a 20" or 24" bar on it and have at it.  They have a good power to weight ratio and can lay waste to a pile of logs.

SwampDonkey

I like a $1000 saw (Cdn dollars), that's when you get more than a plastic saw. It has a magnesium case. I use a Husqvarna 555 with 16" bar. Cuts faster than the lower end saws I used for years. It's 60 cc.

Husqvarna Chainsaws 555

Great saw for firewood. I don't have big wood since it's 30 year old second growth Acadian mixed wood forest, but I keep thinning the ground for firewood. She all burns and she makes heat. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

FairFrank

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 10, 2020, 08:10:12 PM
I like a $1000 saw (Cdn dollars), that's when you get more than a plastic saw. It has a magnesium case. I use a Husqvarna 555 with 16" bar. Cuts faster than the lower end saws I used for years. It's 60 cc.

Husqvarna Chainsaws 555

Great saw for firewood. I don't have big wood since it's 30 year old second growth Acadian mixed wood forest, but I keep thinning the ground for firewood. She all burns and she makes heat. ;D
Hm... Thinking about exactly this model or 460 Rancher. What do you think about Makita's saws pals? In comparison with Husqvarna

mike_belben

Dolmar is a good saw.  I dont think dolmar makes any homeowner junk but husky does. 
Praise The Lord

sawguy21

Husky's cheap homeowner saws were made by their Poulan division which is gone. The Swedish built product is very good. Unfortunately Makita (Dolmar) is moving out of the gasoline power market so only Stihl, Husky and Echo will be left to meet professional needs. Due to environmental concerns and changing needs the market for saws is dying.

Thank You Sponsors!