iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade sharpener for hobby mill

Started by Nathan4104, December 01, 2020, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan4104

My father has a SMG mill, it's a simple mill, works great for a hobby mill.  
He's thinking about a blade sharpener as one of his locals retired.    I saw the woodland mills sharpener, snd setter. I have their chipper and am happy with it and dealing with them.   There are higher priced units out there, and lower.  
He runs 156" bands.  
While the unit would likely never pay for itself, it would be convenient and add to the fun! 
Being in Canada the woodland mills is also easier to get than some from cross border.....
Any real world advice is appreciated!!

bushhog920

I had a Norwood manual sharpener and setter that came with my mill. I fought with it too many hours just to get poor results. Soo mad at it one day I broke down and got a cooks sharpener and dual tooth setter which cost more than I paid for the mill. Best thing I did now i enjoy sharpening and get very good results. It takes a heavy machine with power to grind with precision. Cooks sharpener weights 150lbs and will cut the band in half no problem. If it don't work out for you resale is good on the commercial equipment, the light duty stuff you just give it away.

Brian_Rhoad

Check out the Dinasaw sharpeners. They have a dealer in Canada.

HOME | mysite

Durf700

woodmizer has a new smaller automatic sharpener..  looks well built..  I think its around 700 dollars US.

alan gage

Quote from: Nathan4104 on December 01, 2020, 10:45:07 AMWhile the unit would likely never pay for itself, it would be convenient and add to the fun!

Convenient? Yes.
Fun? No

I use a Timberking sharpener and Cooks single setter. I'm happy with the combo.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

goose63

I have the woodland sharpner and setter I'm happy with them

As you can see I've done a lot with mine
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Durf700

Quote from: goose63 on December 01, 2020, 03:35:54 PM
I have the woodland sharpner and setter I'm happy with them

As you can see I've done a lot with mine
dang... thats a whole bunch of bands!

Jeff

Hah!  Someone show him @customsawyer  s sawblade stash...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

trapper

could he buy the used sharpener from the guy that retired
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

customsawyer

Jeff are you referring to one like this?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Jeff

I remember seeing even more then that the last project!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Southside

Someone has spent a LOT of time cleaning in there!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

What's that little go-kart with a log on it?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

offrink

customsawyer

I've even thinned the herd more than what is in the picture. Had the scrap yard bring a roll off and I filled it up. I had originally called them to see what they were paying. On a whim I asked if they would bring a roll off and what they would charge for it. They said $5.00/day. Well I'm not super smart but I can do math good enough to know that I can't haul it myself that cheap. So when they parked the roll off, I stuffed it with well over 5000 blades and a few broken appliances. They came and picked it up the next day. A week later they mailed a check for around $250.00. It was some where around 9000 pounds of mostly saw blades.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

kantuckid

As a hobby mill owner, I can think of far more logical uses for $700 than a sharpener! In my own case I'd have to like sharpening mill blades? Sounds like a boring task IMO with little payback. My money has gone toward ways to continue to saw and be active in my hobbies well into my senior years. That said I am a certified tightwad who appreciates my saw blade service company. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!