iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Viking rubber boots - what size to get?

Started by OliG, January 29, 2017, 10:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I know about wet feet.  :o 
I worked for a National park for 2 summers, lots and lots of hikers. This was back in '78-'79 when hikers wore shorts and high heavy socks. No idea what is being worn now. There I was dumping foot powder and changing my socks through out the day trying to keep my feet dry. My feet would almost parboiled.  :o
I asked the hikers how they kept their feet dry. 2 pair of GOOD socks, the outer pair a GOOD HEAVY sock. I just could not believe it. That would make my feet hotter. I kept asking and getting the same answer, but I could not get my young brain around it. Finally I just tried it, how could 50 hikers be wrong!!!  Been using 2 pairs for more than 40 years now!!!  
As Jeff says, you need good socks.  :)
I all ready posted I wear the vikings boots year around. If I am outside working, I have the viking boots on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Greenhighlander on March 11, 2021, 06:55:57 AM
They are also rubbing my shin raw and not very comfortable in general.  They do seem to offer great protection but I will be saving up for a more comfortable pair of chainsaw boots.  
I really hate not being able to wear bamas  
I wear 11's, same size even in sneakers, hiking boots and work boots. There is also different models of Viking. I can't wear anything except a FVW69 model and chaulk bottoms. I've tried the 68 and it cramped the top of my foot. I asked others and same results I had. Local shops don't carry the 69, so like 100's of other stuff you have to order online to get the good stuff. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Greenhighlander

I have the VW 58-1 Bushwacker.   They were way too tight and have terrible arch support . But they have stretched a tad so they at least don't hurt my feet anymore.  But ya not a chance of fitting half insoles or bamas .  

SwampDonkey

I order my 69's from Deakin Equipment in Vancouver. I've bought them there for 25 years. :) Used to be able to get them local, but have not seen them in 10 years. It's like Stanfields wool, out west they had shelves of it in the department stores, haven't seen it here in 30 years. You can buy the lighter white stuff in a couple men's shops in Fredericton, but not up here in Woodstock area anymore. Made in NS, but can't buy local. ::) Also have to buy Canadian made work boots and hiking boots from Winnipeg. Like Mark Bernstein in ND (youtube channel) , buy all I want first before you tell anyone else. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HolmenTree

Quote from: thecfarm on March 11, 2021, 07:15:04 AM
I know about wet feet.  :o
I worked for a National park for 2 summers, lots and lots of hikers. This was back in '78-'79 when hikers wore shorts and high heavy socks. No idea what is being worn now. There I was dumping foot powder and changing my socks through out the day trying to keep my feet dry. My feet would almost parboiled.  :o
I asked the hikers how they kept their feet dry. 2 pair of GOOD socks, the outer pair a GOOD HEAVY sock. I just could not believe it. That would make my feet hotter. I kept asking and getting the same answer, but I could not get my young brain around it. Finally I just tried it, how could 50 hikers be wrong!!!  Been using 2 pairs for more than 40 years now!!!  
As Jeff says, you need good socks.  :)
I all ready posted I wear the vikings boots year around. If I am outside working, I have the viking boots on.
Good point @thecfarm about double socks.
My whole family wear double layer low and high top socks in our running shoes or all shoes for that goes. 
We buy these double layer socks and they are the most comfortable  socks available.  The 2 layers take up the friction in the shoe to your foot.
Another advantage is the kids wear them right out with a big hole in the bottom of the outer layer but with the inner layer intact can still wear them for months after :D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

chainsawnewbie

Quote from: thecfarm on March 11, 2021, 07:15:04 AM
I know about wet feet.  :o
I worked for a National park for 2 summers, lots and lots of hikers. This was back in '78-'79 when hikers wore shorts and high heavy socks. No idea what is being worn now. There I was dumping foot powder and changing my socks through out the day trying to keep my feet dry. My feet would almost parboiled.  :o
I asked the hikers how they kept their feet dry. 2 pair of GOOD socks, the outer pair a GOOD HEAVY sock. I just could not believe it. That would make my feet hotter. I kept asking and getting the same answer, but I could not get my young brain around it. Finally I just tried it, how could 50 hikers be wrong!!!  Been using 2 pairs for more than 40 years now!!!  
As Jeff says, you need good socks.  :)
I have had the same experience. In both my work boots, and rubber chainsaw boots,I wear a thin wool/poly blend liner sock, and a heavy woolen pair of work socks over that all year round. Works like a charm.

chainsawnewbie

I have always used my Dunlop Purofort boots until having a close call last year .  I bought a pair of the viking rubber boots with the laces at the top in back , from my local co op .  
I usually wear 10 1/2 and always wore size 12 dunlops so I could also wear a pair of bama socks . A must to not end up with trench foot by the end of the day with how much I sweat. Especially tripping pipe in summer lol  
Anyway I bought size 12 vikings which were the largest size they had and I can't wear anything other then a thin sock in them and even then I have a helluva time getting them off.  
They are also rubbing my shin raw and not very comfortable in general.  They do seem to offer great protection but I will be saving up for a more comfortable pair of chainsaw boots.  
I have the Vikings and I had to get a size 13 . The twelve wont go on with two pairs of socks for me either! Hello from another Caper btw! 

Greenhighlander

Quote from: chainsawnewbie on June 09, 2021, 06:25:53 PM
I have always used my Dunlop Purofort boots until having a close call last year .  I bought a pair of the viking rubber boots with the laces at the top in back , from my local co op .  
I usually wear 10 1/2 and always wore size 12 dunlops so I could also wear a pair of bama socks . A must to not end up with trench foot by the end of the day with how much I sweat. Especially tripping pipe in summer lol  
Anyway I bought size 12 vikings which were the largest size they had and I can't wear anything other then a thin sock in them and even then I have a helluva time getting them off.  
I have the Vikings and I had to get a size 13 . The twelve wont go on with two pairs of socks for me either! Hello from another Caper btw!
I got mine at the local co op and they told me that 12 was the biggest size they can get them in . I wish I would of known that they do come in larger sizes.  Not being able to wear my bammas is my only complaint now .  They have worked in to actually be fairly comfortable. 
Welcome to the forum :)  

Thank You Sponsors!