iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with identifying

Started by Unisyco, April 01, 2021, 07:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unisyco

Cut some logs into slabs and looking for some help identifying the species. Trees are from Illinois, roughly 1hr east of St Louis.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=10118

Let me know if any other pictures would help

SwampDonkey

Hackberry is my guess based on this one. The heart grain is elmish looking.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Here is a closeup of American elm.

The living room in the old house was panelled in elm.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

I see two different species. One is red oak and the other is sweetgum.  The red oak is the one that SwampDonkey posted for you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

I can't see ray wood in the end, just saw marks. But could be red oak to, looks like grain in plywood. Seemed more feathery like elm.

Unisyco

Okay so 1 is sweetgum, after looking into I can see that. The first could be red oak. The color was just not close to all the other red oak I have cut before which is why I was curious. 

And possibly Hackberry? Hm. I appreciate the help and any other ideas 

WDH

That red oak is definitely a red oak :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!