iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Setworks Calculator

Started by D6c, April 08, 2021, 08:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

I had a customer ask for some lumber to be sawed at an odd thickness and I don't have an electronic setworks.
I had to use a calculator to figure what the next scale setting for each cut and also had to figure from the bottom up so i would end up with the last board at the right thickness.....time consuming.

As an exercise I started playing with Exel and came up with a little spreadsheet to do all the math.
All it requires is for you to enter:
*  The desired thickness of the lumber
*  The blade Kerf
*  Nearest fraction you'd like it to round UP the setting (ie: round up to the nearest 1/32")
*  The thickness you'd like to leave the last board (for some mills that can't cut down to 1" on last cut)

The cut list can be easily printed out and stuck up on the mill for reference.

I don't know if it would be useful to anyone but you're welcome to it.
If you do use it, please verify the measurements a time or two before you trust it.  I don't want anyone cutting something wrong if I've made a typo somewhere in the spreaadsheet.

WV Sawmiller

That looks a lot like my Cheat Sheet only yours can calculate on the fly. I took the common sizes I cut and made a column for each and start on that mark for my last series of cuts and end on a finished board. For anything under 3/4" I plan on finishing on a 1" board. I use a standard 1/8" kerf for my planning and it seems to work for me.

Here is a copy I keep in a plastic ziploc bag under a couple of HF magnets on the inner cover of my setworks panel.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

D6c

It occurs to me that it might be useful if you change thickness in the middle of a log to recalc your settings.

WV Sawmiller

???   I don't understand what that would change. As I am cutting I keep an eye on the ruler to verify each drop lands where it is supposed to and they always do.

Come to think of it, I sort of do that in most cases because I stop and edge my flitches against the cant. For example if I am cutting 1" boards with my SimpleSet making 1-1/8" drops, and all my final boards will be 1X6 or wider, I will stop when I get finished with the 5-1/2" cut, turn off SimpleSet and go back to manual and edge my flitches, set my blade back on 5-1/2", turn my SS back on and resume cutting to the rails stopping on 4-3/8" then 3-1/4" then 2-1/8" then finishing on 1". If I don't stop to edge flitches the result is the same.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

D6c

Haven't thought completely through how I might use it.  Mostly I thought I'd use it for odd size lumber that I don't have a premarked scale for.  My old LT 40 has an aluminum scale for 4/4, 6/4 etc.
I've made up a couple off different scales but don't have everything.

WV Sawmiller

I agree the calculator is a great idea for those occasions when a customer wants an odd thickness. Every time they have done that to me I have had do go compute and add a new column. Sometimes I'd have to whip one out with my stubby pencil to finish that session then add the new column when I got home. 

What I like about the cheat sheet is when I make the final flip of my cant I can go to my mark and see  "Okay, I can't get a clean 8/4 but I can get a 4/4 or 6/4 or something else I or the customer can use" so I just add enough to make that cut and land on my mark, change my SS and continue cutting. It saves me cuts and maximizes my return. I swear by my cheat sheet and my SimpleSet. 
Howard Green

Magicman

"Sawmill Calculator Pro" App will do it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

D6,

Sorry - I was misreading you earlier comment. I assume you are saying if I change from cutting one thickness to another different thickness in midstream.  When I start my final series of cuts I already have them planned. Sometimes I have to change when my customer is watching the cant and changes his mind in midstream or the cant may bow due to stress. When that happens I usually have to make a trim cut to get to my new mark. Sometimes the trim cut is a usable size, sometimes it is not.
Howard Green

D6c

Quote from: Magicman on April 08, 2021, 10:10:47 PM
That's new to me.... might have to try it.

trapper

My friend wanted me to make 5/8 boards so I gave him an aluninum yardstick starting at 1 inch which is the lowst i can cut on my lt30 and make marks every 3/4 inch on it on the back side as a custom scale. also have inch and hardwood scales. only takes a couple minutes  to change.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Crossroads

Quote from: Magicman on April 08, 2021, 10:10:47 PM
I use this app and it's very helpful. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

RAYAR

I use an App called Sawmill Calculator by 2013 MicaPeak Solutions. Under "Cutlist", choose your specs and bingo, scroll down a little and you have a cut list to follow. Easy and simple to use.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Brooks1984

What i do if cutting say 3/4" boards i cut a board then trim a little piece off the end with chainsaw. Then I use the trim piece and  set it on top of the sawblade to set my thickness for every board. 

moodnacreek

The old time sawyers did this in their head without taking their hands off the crowd and the reach rod. Most never finished school.

Magicman

Quote from: RAYAR on April 09, 2021, 01:06:05 AMI use an App called Sawmill Calculator by 2013 MicaPeak Solutions.
This is the one I referred to in Reply #6.  Mine is the 2019 version.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

Quote from: Brooks1984 on April 09, 2021, 06:00:32 AM
What i do if cutting say 3/4" boards i cut a board then trim a little piece off the end with chainsaw. Then I use the trim piece and  set it on top of the sawblade to set my thickness for every board.
No, that would take way too much time.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

RAYAR

Quote from: Magicman on April 09, 2021, 08:47:08 AM
Quote from: RAYAR on April 09, 2021, 01:06:05 AMI use an App called Sawmill Calculator by 2013 MicaPeak Solutions.
This is the one I referred to in Reply #6.  Mine is the 2019 version.
I'm not using the Pro version. I currently have V1.1.1. I only see the Pro version available now which is V2.1.6... hmmmm
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (430,000 Km)

Magicman

I gave Grant Erickson some recommendation which were incorporated into the latest version:

Grant EricksonMar 12, 2019, 8:42 AM
Lynn, Are you using a specific table for weights? Considering wet and dry? Also are you using it on the board feet or log volume or both,
Grant EricksonMar 13, 2019, 9:21 AM
Lynn, Thanks for the input. Let me see what I can do. It sounds pretty easy.
Grant EricksonSep 25, 2019, 9:20 PM
I just updated Sawmill Calculator Pro to 2.0 and it should be live on the App Store. Please let me know if you experience any issues. Sorry for the delay,

Thank You Grant for incorporating those changes in the App.

Thank You Sponsors!