iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CSM'ing some long 2x12's

Started by Don P, April 14, 2021, 09:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

We needed some 26' long 2x12's for the job. I figured somebody might be able to use the method sometime for lumber or beams so took some pics along the way.

First we drew a level line from heart to bark at each end, drove a screw into the bark on the center line at each end and stretched a string down the length of the log as a reference line. We then shimmed and leveled my 16' ladder the same distance from the string and secured it to the log. We established the height for the opening cut and ran to the end of the ladder. When we reached the end of the ladder we moved it down and repeated maintaining the same distance from the string and leveling as we resecured it.

Wala;

We then took a couple of full width 1-3/4" slabbing cuts till we got to 6.5" from the centerline, unedged flitches. We also set the initial slab back up on the log flat face up and grabbed another flitch. We then set the CSM to 13" created a cant, rolled it upright and secured it.

I then snapped a line down the center of one face as a reference line and set up "yokes" to hold the ladder a consistent height from the line.

As the CSM gets to each yoke we tick both uprights with the saw to make a mark, unscrew the yoke, move it behind the saw and resecure it to the log, lining our tick marks up with the kerf.

When we reach the end of the ladder we set up the yokes again, measuring from the top of the yoke to the reference line on the reference face first

Then use a framing square to align and secure the opposite upright

Finish the rip and we have established the 3 sided cant. Set the saw to 1-3/4 and start ripping 1-3/4"x13" wide rough dimension lumber.

As the cant gets shorter we can brace with just a couple of lags through boards on the ends, drop the side props and keep motoring

As we worked we strapped the lumber together in packs of 4 or 5 pieces and drug them out of the woods on the winding pig path back to the trailer, which was a good time to let the saw cool and stretch our backs out. If driving that path was a stretch  :D. Anyway, we've used that method to make long beams before and I've posted pics of that, figured it might be useful to show how it works for making oddball lumber. We'll borate and sticker this till ready to frame then I'll hopefully be able to plane to 1.5" thick, snap lines and edge them down to 11.25" wide to match factory lumber.

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Dang Don, that is impressive.  Kinda makes me feel guilty about the way I do them.  ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Bring em on, I'll gladly cut the other logs shorter and drag em to my little mill  :D

There's a Frick on the property too but like mine he's limited to about 14'.

The rafters are 21', we can get them on the swingblade.

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

Patrick NC

Great explanation and nice lumber
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moodnacreek

I think I would build an extension and a trailer carriage before I would do all that ???.  But I suppose once you got your width it went pretty good. Glad you mentioned the borate. I stopped cutting tulip because of the ppb problem.

mike_belben

you are one slick son of a gum don. 
Praise The Lord

Tom King

I like it.  Did you use gauge blocks to set the ladder to the line, or measure?

cbla

Don P

Quote from: Tom King on April 15, 2021, 09:05:11 AM
I like it.  Did you use gauge blocks to set the ladder to the line, or measure?
We set a level across the ladder and measured down to the stringline, shimming under the ladder at each of the 3 attachment places, using plumbers tape and screws, 2 on each of those 3 rungs. Once the ladder was level, secure and parallel to the string we slipped wedge shaped wood shims between the rungs and bark wherever we could to help firm up the support more.
We cleaned up that woods area this morning and got the 2 shorter upper logs out to the trailer and then moved over to the pasture where there are 3 more trees down and bucked with 2 more 26'ers to CSM. Better view but gravity is stronger over there, as was the wind today. I drug this down to the "flat" area. We got this one slabbed down to a cant by quitting time and will take the 2' CSM and super skip chain to blow through it in the morning.

I wandered around behind a rock at lunchtime and took this pic. @Jeff , it isn't quite a pudding but it is a conglomerate. This was a creek bottom at some point. We are at about 4,000ft here but at one time it was thousands of feet higher here. Funny thinking about a good sized creek running on what is now almost mountaintop. Apples are just starting to bloom.

Jeff

I loves me some conglomerates. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

moodnacreek

Don, 
I have an extension for your Bell saw.  A sawmill near by used to do 26' timbers on a 16' carriage. I presume all the side lumber was thick and thin with all that bouncing but they sold pallet.

mike_belben

I always like seeing that little old loader doing big old work. 
Praise The Lord

Don P

Well we finally got everything from that part hauled, borated and tucked away to dry. I'm one whipped pup. We ended up with 40 2x13-14 x 26' rough boards. 18 of high enough grade full length, we needed 15 so should be good. We had to manhandle them in a good bit of the way into the pavillion at work off the trailer then onto the bobcat forks. From what it took to tip the machine they weighed around 250 lbs each. I sure hope they lose about half of that before we take them back out!

Someone was asking about ridges and chainsaw milling last week. I took a few picks of the small alaskan we used to break down the cant. With the oregon hyper skip chain it is as rough a cut as you'll get but for this rough breakdown that isn't a problem. We were making the 26' rip in a little under 5 minutes. With no bark it would make about 10 rips between sharpenings. Kinda cute with the little rig on, I think the opening is about 25", that must be a 32" bar.

Hard to get a good shot of the teeth but I circled a pair. To my knowledge this is the widest skip available. It was really developed for slabbing bars on machines like the Lucas or Peterson but works ok for this.

And there's the whack. We have a couple of 21'er's stuck on the hill till a friend can get his skidder reassembled, we'll saw them with the Lucas. We brought some shorter stuff back I could bring out with the little loader. But everything is buttoned up for a few days. We're off to the big city in the morn to get Michelle a bionic knee. I'll stay there till they cut her loose and then play nursemaid here till she kicks me out :D.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!