The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Excessive bar oil emitted  (Read 198 times)

Offline MT-ED

• Member*
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Excessive bar oil emitted
« on: May 13, 2021, 11:47:39 PM »
I have 3 Stihl chainsaws, all gassers. I recently purchased a battery powered Stihl saw. I recently replaced the timbers of a raised bed with 4X6 timbers, and used the saw to cut the lap joints. I was surprised how fast the saw went through the bar oil, and, I found that when I was cutting next to a wall, approx. 2' distant, there was a deposit of oil/sawdust being plastered there. Objects that were further away were covered with the oil saturated paste, splattered in smaller clumps. Additionally, the clutch and oil vent area, under the side cover, was jammed packed with a super oily sawdust mixture as well.

I have never experienced this much oil ejection, this much oil saturated sawdust, or oil/sawdust "constipation" under the side plate on any of my Stihl gasser saws? I wrote to Stihl and they said the bar oiler pump could not be adjusted. They also said to "try" a thicker bar oil as well. I use the same bar oil in all of my saws, and as I said above, have never had this problem using the same oil. These symptoms are more an annoyance than a problem, but the oil/sawdust constipation forming in the clutch area, under the side plate does require excessive attention.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this "condition" with either their battery Stihl saws, or for that matter, even a gasser Stihl saw?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
Re: Excessive bar oil emitted
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 05:46:31 AM »
You could try to put some sort of restriction in the oiler tube (but I donít see good results from it). I just think that itís going to be a mess for you no matter how the situation is approached.
Trying harder everyday.

Offline Greenhighlander

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
Re: Excessive bar oil emitted
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 05:59:43 AM »
I asked my local Stihl guy about it when I noticed the huge amount of oil leaking out of the battery ones he had on the shelf. He said he checked everything on them because he had never seen a saw leak that much bar oil before and even had someone bring one back they had just bought because of it .
He said he couldn't find anything wrong that was causing it and when he asked Stihl they said they more or less " just do that"   

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Excessive head movement

Started by cwersk on Sawmills and Milling

6 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 03:48:51 PM
by MartyParsons
question
540T excessive gas in air filter ?

Started by losttheplot on Chainsaws

2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 07:05:24 PM
by Reddog