iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Excessive bar oil emitted

Started by MT-ED, May 13, 2021, 11:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT-ED

I have 3 Stihl chainsaws, all gassers. I recently purchased a battery powered Stihl saw. I recently replaced the timbers of a raised bed with 4X6 timbers, and used the saw to cut the lap joints. I was surprised how fast the saw went through the bar oil, and, I found that when I was cutting next to a wall, approx. 2' distant, there was a deposit of oil/sawdust being plastered there. Objects that were further away were covered with the oil saturated paste, splattered in smaller clumps. Additionally, the clutch and oil vent area, under the side cover, was jammed packed with a super oily sawdust mixture as well.

I have never experienced this much oil ejection, this much oil saturated sawdust, or oil/sawdust "constipation" under the side plate on any of my Stihl gasser saws? I wrote to Stihl and they said the bar oiler pump could not be adjusted. They also said to "try" a thicker bar oil as well. I use the same bar oil in all of my saws, and as I said above, have never had this problem using the same oil. These symptoms are more an annoyance than a problem, but the oil/sawdust constipation forming in the clutch area, under the side plate does require excessive attention.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this "condition" with either their battery Stihl saws, or for that matter, even a gasser Stihl saw?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Tacotodd

You could try to put some sort of restriction in the oiler tube (but I don't see good results from it). I just think that it's going to be a mess for you no matter how the situation is approached.
Trying harder everyday.

Greenhighlander

I asked my local Stihl guy about it when I noticed the huge amount of oil leaking out of the battery ones he had on the shelf. He said he checked everything on them because he had never seen a saw leak that much bar oil before and even had someone bring one back they had just bought because of it .
He said he couldn't find anything wrong that was causing it and when he asked Stihl they said they more or less " just do that"   

Thank You Sponsors!