Sponsors:

Fun cutting down a large tree.

Started by axeman2021, May 15, 2021, 10:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

Nice view but I don't want to work in a dead tree. :o
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

sent that to @Cardiodoc and offered to be the guy holding the rope.  we do not have those trees here.  some 150 foot cottonwoods, but branching out all over.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

JohnW

Looks like that would require tons of experience.  How'd the camera men get those pictures?

axeman2021

Quote from: JohnW on May 15, 2021, 01:59:32 PM
Looks like that would require tons of experience.  How'd the camera men get those pictures?
That is a really good question.

Andries

i would guess that the arborist wasn't scared of heights - or of drones.
@slider @chet 
Such as well done video, and cool to see that a lot of the same climbing gear is used the world over.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

axeman2021

Quote from: Andries on May 15, 2021, 05:45:25 PM
i would guess that the arborist wasn't scared of heights - or of drones.
@slider @chet
Such as well done video, and cool to see that a lot of the same climbing gear is used the world over.
Chet many years ago i took a summer job with a yard mowing guy who dabbled in some tree limbing work, being young and not knowing much he introduced me to using ropes to getting up into the trees.
I had jut seen guys with spikes strapped on their legs, like you see people climbing phone and power poles, i learned you don't use spiked on a live tree you rope up and down them.
Never knew anything about having a climbers harness and saddle or what type and strength ropes was needed.
If someone would have said the word Arborist don't think i would have even then understood what the word meant.
I look back today and wonder how lucky i am not to have fallen to my death, just throwing a rope over a limb and dragging yourself and a chainsaw up, with no type safety items and no plan as to what to do if things went really wrong.
Today if someone asks what is needed to get into tree climbing work, i tell them get an Abborist's training started and get a WesSpur or Sherrilltree Catalog, and checkout the prices of the equipment you are going to need.
Then a good idea is to find some real climbing training and get into it.
That man in the video was not just a weekend amateur trying to make a few quick dollars, am fairly sure he was a skilled Abborist with many years of tree climbing.

mooleycow

WOW! Enjoyed your video.  Unbelievable strength to foot lock up the tree.  How did he set his line in the top at that height?  Alternate lanyard or redirects would have taken too long.  Wow no mechanical hitch(knee, foot, or chest ascenders)just a distal hitch and one lanyard.  He came down without being on a rope.  He pulled that chainsaw to that height, wow.  I wonder how much bounce he got out of bombing those blocks.  Glad he had a large enough drop zone to be safe and no buried water lines to break.  Thanks!

Ianab

Quote from: JohnW on May 15, 2021, 01:59:32 PMHow'd the camera men get those pictures?

I'm guessing a pro grade camera and long lens from a nearby hill? Sort of stuff they use for wildlife / sports filming. There are some wide angle shots where they seem to be looking out over a valley? Then the closeup shots of the guy working has the definite "look" of a long lens shot, mostly the way the background appears closer than it should. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Quote from: mooleycow on May 15, 2021, 07:01:32 PMHow did he set his line in the top at that height?

At a guess he set lines as he climbed up? Removing branches as he went\. Would have taken time, to both set the lines and drop the limbs. Get rope set 20ft further up, lop off another dozen limbs, repeat. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

axeman2021

Quote from: Ianab on May 15, 2021, 07:17:06 PM
Quote from: mooleycow on May 15, 2021, 07:01:32 PMHow did he set his line in the top at that height?

At a guess he set lines as he climbed up? Removing branches as he went\. Would have taken time, to both set the lines and drop the limbs. Get rope set 20ft further up, lop off another dozen limbs, repeat.
It would have been pretty hard to try rigging a targeted slide line that high up, just dropping them right to ground and then skidding them large logs off was the best choice.

chet

Most times it's best to go right to the top first, tie in, and set some of your required work lines on your way back down to them first parts to be removed. This is especially true for large crowned hardwoods. The higher you are tied from your work area, the better maneuverability you have. Having them wide open areas to freely drop big wood and large limbs looks great on video, but in reality, tight urban areas rarely offer that scenario. The best looking drop zone can have hidden drain fields, sewer lines, water lines, electrical and communication lines, or gas lines.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

chet

Quote from: doc henderson on May 15, 2021, 12:18:34 PM
sent that to @Cardiodoc and offered to be the guy holding the rope.  we do not have those trees here.  some 150 foot cottonwoods, but branching out all over.
I used to tell the new guys dat the only difference between really tall trees compared the short ones, was you had more time to think about it on your way down if you messed up. But either way, it was going to really hurt.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

axeman2021

Quote from: chet on May 15, 2021, 10:38:18 PM
Quote from: doc henderson on May 15, 2021, 12:18:34 PM
sent that to @Cardiodoc and offered to be the guy holding the rope.  we do not have those trees here.  some 150 foot cottonwoods, but branching out all over.
I used to tell the new guys dat the only difference between really tall trees compared the short ones, was you had more time to think about it on your way down if you messed up. But either way, it was going to really hurt.
I quickly noticed the tree i was about to climb looked not to high to the limb i was trying to reach, but after getting up there the ground sure looked a long way down.

JohnW

Right, that's the special theory of relativity.  Trees look higher from the top, or any part of the way up, than from the ground.

doc henderson

I am a lot braver on the ground than up high.

Philmont Scout Ranch @metalspinner @Old Greenhorn @WV Sawmiller 
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

olcowhand

Quote from: mooleycow on May 15, 2021, 07:01:32 PM
WOW! Enjoyed your video.  Unbelievable strength to foot lock up the tree.  How did he set his line in the top at that height?  Alternate lanyard or redirects would have taken too long.  Wow no mechanical hitch(knee, foot, or chest ascenders)just a distal hitch and one lanyard.  He came down without being on a rope.  He pulled that chainsaw to that height, wow.  I wonder how much bounce he got out of bombing those blocks.  Glad he had a large enough drop zone to be safe and no buried water lines to break.  Thanks!
....... Hauling all that stuff, plus the added weight of the parts of him that must be made of Cast Iron or Brass (trying to maintain a "Family Friendly" site); probably added another 20-30 lbs!
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Thank You Sponsors!