iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Style Stihl Bar Oil and Gas Caps?

Started by GaTrapper, May 21, 2021, 10:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

Are there any companies out there or a guy with a 3D printer that do or can make the old style Stihl gas and bar oil caps?

I absolutely hate these new ones and I would love to go back to the older style. 

Ianab

I don't think the tanks have a regular thread that would take a normal screw in cap. They are more like a 1/2 turn to get under some tabs then lock in place. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tacotodd

Does anyone know of any kind of adapter to be able to run the old style caps. It's at least something to think about 🤔
Trying harder everyday.

HemlockKing

A1

Tacotodd

Those caps have been more people's complaint about Stihl than almost anything else (that I can think) 😶

They've been a bane for more people than I can recall. That's probably why I'll never get an M-tronic saw from those folks, even though I've been really tempted to do so. 

I understood one of the reasons that it was done (for commercial hand cutter for speed) but "I" never heard of anyone complaining about the speed aspect. If Stihl just wanted to be different (which they are good at being so) they already were as far as the external thread for the caps that they used.
Trying harder everyday.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Tacotodd on May 23, 2021, 02:09:44 AM
Those caps have been more people's complaint about Stihl than almost anything else (that I can think) 😶

They've been a bane for more people than I can recall. That's probably why I'll never get an M-tronic saw from those folks, even though I've been really tempted to do so.

I understood one of the reasons that it was done (for commercial hand cutter for speed) but "I" never heard of anyone complaining about the speed aspect. If Stihl just wanted to be different (which they are good at being so) they already were as far as the external thread for the caps that they used.
I've mastered them now and have no troubles, still over engineered imo, more stuff to break. 
A1

Al_Smith

The Buna-N o-rings harden up .You can buy a bag full of o-rings for the price of a new cap .I've got several bags but without looking forgot the exact size .Saying that obviously everybody has access to the internet and remember "Google " is your friend .

gspren

Really, after you get used to the flippys there not bad. Keep clean and don't fill quite full!
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

Just for general information those o-rings really cost a lot, you'd have to take out a second mortgage to pay for them ,sarcasm intended . ;)
Now as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story .McMaster -Carr metric o-ring 25x 3.5, A bag of 25 $5.92 .E-bay 5 for around 6 bucks plus 3 to ship .Under Stihl o-ring about 6 bucks pop .Google ,I'm telling you can find anything . 8)

hedgerow

When I first got my 261 last year I didn't care for the flip caps. We always have a air tank in the saw trailer and always blew off the saw's before refilling oil and gas any way. After I got in the habit of leaving the level of oil and fuel down a little when filling the flip caps have been alright. We'll see how long they last. 

realzed

As I've mentioned previously (going apparently against the flow of opinion here somewhat) I do like the caps but I seem to be in the minority, for some reason..
After having two Stihls with them and a few other Stihls with the older style threaded caps, I really confess in all honestly that I much prefer the convenience of the flip versions! 
I am concerned though.. that I must be doing something wrong! 

Thank You Sponsors!