iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372xp or 390xp

Started by Watrboyo1, January 28, 2022, 08:01:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watrboyo1

Trying to decide which saw to get if I get 372 I'd get a 24" and 28", but I'm seriously leaning towards 390 with 24" and 32".  Will be my felling saw(which will Not be often), but bucking mainly. Biggest saw I have now is a Timberwolf. I'll be bucking a lot of oak(all kinds),walnut n some cedar. Thanks for your input I feel I've made up my mind but if someone can convince me to go with 372 I dunno.  
Live for the outdoors

sawguy21

How  often will you need the 32" bar? That is a lot of extra money and weight for occasional use.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

What is a Timberwolf? I have both of those saws, if I was bucking rounds all day I'd take the grunt of the 390xp every day. You start lugging it around the woods and limbing with it you lose so.e of the appreciation for it. Have you ran large saws like this before?
Too many irons in the fire

Greenhighlander

Midas well go with a 395 and be done with it .    But I do have to add that a good friend of mine has worked the hell out of his 372 for years now and she is a great all around saw.  

Watrboyo1

Timberwolf is an echo 59cc saw I also have a echo 49 cc saw and the 59cc is largest I've used in a regular basis. Have used a friends stihl 461 a few times. I will not be using for limbing just feeling and bucking around the sawmill.
Live for the outdoors

Watrboyo1

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 28, 2022, 11:39:01 AM
How  often will you need the 32" bar? That is a lot of extra money and weight for occasional use.
I feel I'll use the 32" fairly often. Probably 30% of the time. Will keep a 24" on majority. I have a several trees I want to fell on my property. And a giant white oak that I need to buck. I just cut up a white oak that was 20-28" and I was definitely wanting something bigger
Live for the outdoors

Dave Shepard

I'm a big fan of the 395XP/24" combo. A 32" is a lot of bar for felling if you don't really need it. I've cut a lot of trees that were 45" at the stump with just the 24", and it works well.
Kinda makes the 395XP look small!

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Walnut Beast

The 28" bar on the 372 would be nice

sidehill6

I own both and would definitely go with the 390 for the extra grunt bucking on the landing.

chet

Quote from: sidehill6 on January 29, 2022, 04:06:24 PM
I own both and would definitely go with the 390 for the extra grunt bucking on the landing.
I own both too, but at this point in my life my body tells me it likes running a 372 much better.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Greenhighlander

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 28, 2022, 09:15:01 PM
I'm a big fan of the 395XP/24" combo. A 32" is a lot of bar for felling if you don't really need it. I've cut a lot of trees that were 45" at the stump with just the 24", and it works well.
Kinda makes the 395XP look small!

I agree that the 24 is a great bar on the 395

Watrboyo1

Went with 390. Only about 30 minutes on her but I love it. Currently only 24" bar will either get 28 or 32" to carry as well
Live for the outdoors

Skeans1

Quote from: Watrboyo1 on February 05, 2022, 01:13:21 AM
Went with 390. Only about 30 minutes on her but I love it. Currently only 24" bar will either get 28 or 32" to carry as well
In years past we've ran the 385/390's with 42's on them without issues. A 32 or 36 is what mine normally sees I personally wouldn't want anything shorter, if you're using one for limbing learn to walk the tree well limbing it helps with longer bars.

barbender

You guys have to remember the Skeans only speaks "PNW", and cuts massive softwoods that the rest if us will never see. I have a 40" bar for my 390xp for trimming packages of lumber, I can't wait to get that son of a gun off of it when I'm done. I usually leave a 24" on it, if I was falling big pine all the time I would maybe get a 28" for it. Some of the big gnarly oak I hand cut this past fall, no way I would want to try to work on those things with a long bar. Limbs going every direction and even a 24" gets unwieldy.
Too many irons in the fire

Oddman

For your use I'd say you made the right choice. For an everyday do everything saw its hard to beat a 372 with a 24" in hardwood, ran one for years falling and limbing mostly oak here in the Ozarks. 
That said, few years ago i bought a 390 and sent it to Jack Beelar to "get it zipped". It lives with a 32" bar and I never again want to be without such a capable saw. It is awesome.

Thank You Sponsors!