iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boathouse Cupola

Started by Tom King, July 08, 2021, 10:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom King

I still had the bits in my router setups for making reproduction sash for an 18th Century house, so I just used them to make the window sash for it.  Probably the only boathouse cupola anwhere, with mortise, and tenon sash made from dry treated lumber.

Most that I have seen have a copper roof, but as much as I like copper roofs, the cupola roofs turn dark, and don't stand out much.  I decided that white could be seen from way up the lake.  

The roof is also framed with dry treated Pine, sheathing is Marine Baltic Birch, and "standing seams" out of scrap Heart Cypress.  All that has a couple of layers of fiberglass cloth, and West Systems epoxy, for longevity, and everything is painted with gloss Sherwin Williams Emerald.

Staying with whole numbers for proportions, the roof slope is exactly double the boathouse roof slope of 18 degrees.  No drawing were made.  I just built it.

The roof hinges to access the solar light.

I had put a standing seam roof on this owner's house, and boathouse a few years ago.  It's just a few hundred yards from our place.

The original one got blown off that louvered base (still Very solid) about a year ago, and I got tired of the guy begging me to build a good replacement.  This one is Way overbuilt.

Lots of Great Blue Herons here, and very few Bald Eagles.

Tom King

This saved me a BUNCH of ciphering, when I built the roof.  All I did was plug in the 31" width I wanted at the lower edge of the roof, and the 36 degree slope.  It gave me everything else I needed.

I used a Wixey cube to set the tilt on the table saw blade, and every piece fit perfectly, first try.

https://www.blocklayer.com/pyramid-calculator.aspx

Hilltop366

Very Nice!

Your neighbour should be happy.

doc henderson

makes a person want to stop and chat!  cool!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

Nice work on a very nice cupola.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!