iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lifting log on top of walls

Started by Iommi, August 23, 2021, 08:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iommi

Hi Guys,

I am currently building a log cabin, and since my wall start to reach my height, I will need to find a way to hoist them log on top of the walls all alone.

I have no time to build a big complicated system, I am looking for something simple that can be easily moved out of the way by myself . I only have acces to 2 sides of the house, so the system has to be moved out so i can roll the logs on top of the walls after each lift.

If you have pictures, i would appreciated it.

Thanks a lot.

Don P

Does the site and elevation lend itself to parbuckling up a couple of poles set up on each of the 2 access sides then rolling across?

logman

I built a small log cabin by myself.  I strung a cable overtop the cabin and used a chain hoist and come along to get the logs up.  

LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Iwawoodwork

Stand up a long pole in each corner and tie/strap it into the corners and hang a rope block system on them and bring your logs to the outside and lift away, I saw one done this way on you tube .

jasonwarford

I came across this YouTube channel and I thought his lift system was pretty slick. Going to build one myself.

Setting Wall Logs, Rounds 1 and 2, Paradise Point - Ep 4 - YouTube

His channel name is "The Bearded Carpenter" and I believe there's a build video for the lift and a smaller version as well.

canopy

If working alone, the simplicity and ease of use of a tripod with a chain hoist is ideal. Lash 3 poles using a suitable knot found on the net and hang a chain host at the top.

Joe Hillmann

This is what I built.  It is about 15 feet tall.  It is built out of two floor joists and one rafter lashed together to make a lopsided tripod.  Then all three are lashed to the sled on the bottom.

So far I have only used it to drag logs up onto their drying piles.  The idea is to build the cabin until the first floor floor joists are in place then winch this thing up so it sits on top of the joists.  Then I can slide it around as necessary to lift the logs into place.  The cinder blocks keep it from tipping over on small logs.  Big logs require a rope being tied tightly to something behind to keep it from tipping over.  The chain hoist works well for  lifting logs straight up. The block and tackle works well for sliding the logs up ramps.

In your case, once the logs are up at the top of the wall you can remove the cinder blocks, remove the back rope and lay the entire tripod down then roll the log over it and start the process over.

I had looked into all sorts of gin poles, trolleys, booms, derricks and so on.  And this is what I felt was the easiest to build with what I had available, versatility,  will meet my needs and I can safely take it down once the cabin is built around it.  The ability to take it down safely when I am done with it is why I decided against a lot of other methods.  I already had all the material on the site for other uses so I didn't have to buy anything to build it so that was a plus as well.

The biggest down side is it takes two people or a machine if you want to move more than a few feet at a time.

Don P

When you put something on the floor be sure to look down and do whatever is necessary to reinforce the floor or joists. Someone I know real well has poked through the floor, more than once, slow learner  :D

Y'all have seen my wide ugly mortar joints recently. That's Ed on the chainfall working over some of his work in the sandstone that was on site. He's a real stone mason.

Thank You Sponsors!