iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can this safely be cut down?

Started by sumpnz, September 15, 2021, 07:16:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

I watched a video one time about dropping a hazard tree (I think it was a back leaner), he dug and cut the roots off on the back cut side of the tree the pulled it down.

Looks like it pulled over rather easily with the roots cut off yet the remaining roots controlled the direction of fall.

Iwawoodwork

Southside, On the puny little tree in question a good chain is not going to do any of the things you mention,  also in my life around machinery, 40+ years, have had quite a few chains break and have yet to  have anything like you promoted, happen, so as you can tell my experience has been different than yours.

sumpnz

Quote from: trimguy on September 17, 2021, 11:32:25 AM
I don't know how well it would work, but I like the shotgun idea. ;D
Tannerite and a round sufficient to set it off would be fun.  Probably would get me in more trouble than it would be worth though.

Lostinmn

tell your least favorite relative there's no way they could do it, then stand back.....  ;D 

sumpnz

My patience was rewarded!  Weather station in my backyard recorded a 27.3mph gust.  Guessing that's what did it.  So glad I didn't have to try to cut myself or spend the money on a pro to do it for me. 1st picture was from this morning and shows how the cracks had grown.  Other 2 are, obviously, after it fell, showing the extent of the rot.

samandothers

Good things come to those that wait!

B.C.C. Lapp

I read all the posts in this thread and decided I'm either pretty good at what I do for a living, OR, I'm a moron not smart enough to be worried by this tree.   I don't really want to know which it is. :D  
And don't get me wrong I dont post this to brag, its just what I see and thought.

Because from what I can see in the pics I would have cut that tree down without any hesitation at all.  Would be a bit trickier than some but since it was not a high value tree so I wouldn't be concerned with fiber pull and it seemed like it had its direction decided and nothing to hit.  With the center broke and splits already there a barber chair would be pretty likely so I may or may not have opened it with a shallow face cut and would not have tried to bore it at all.    I would have made a T cut starting on the worst side then cut the more solid looking side.   Not much to it. 
But then I cut about 7000 board feet of timber a day with a chainsaw and have for decades.  
Its the first few thousand trees that's hard.   After that you start to get the hang of it. smiley_thumbsup
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

bitternut

In my younger days, I would have just made sure that I had a sharp fast cutting chain and cut right through that horizontal crack from the backside of the lean. Judging from the picture the tree had a pretty good lean toward a clear hole to drop into. I would not have bothered with a bore cut or worried about a barber chair. That's because I did not know what either was when I was younger.

Today I am a little older and wiser and would most likely have wrapped the trunk with one of my 2" ratchet straps but made the same cut as my younger days. Probably would have had my arms extended as much as possible to keep me off to the side out of harm's way.

B.C.C. LAPP could you explain what a T cut is.

Skeans1

@bitternut 
A T style back cut or a coos bay are where the two sides are taken first then you go right through the center both of which would of gotten that on the ground.

Southside

@Wudman showed me a printoff of an incident which happened in New Zealand recently.  Co-dom tree and a tracked forestry harvester.  Amazing example of just what can go wrong, even when you have all of the correct gear.  Maybe he can post it on here.  Describing the carnage does not begin to do it justice.  You simply can not out run a falling tree, nor duck a butt that has jumped at you.  Lucky is all you can be, and that runs out.  

Have we all cut stuff we really should not have?  Yup, I have.  Have I gotten lucky and known it? Yup.  Even got lucky when a widow maker hit me as it was maybe 2" in diameter, dead, and hit my hard hat.  Collapsed the suspension and split my head open, but after getting my feet under me I did walk away.  Completely my fault - I missed the fact it was hanging up there.  Spent the next month with a massive concussion that resulted in me getting lost on my own farm and thinking I had discovered fields I didn't know we had.  Did I mention I got lucky? Very lucky.  I knew a couple guys who didn't get that lucky.  

The tree is on the ground, the OP has no health issues as a result, and there is zero property damage.  He did the exact, right, thing.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sumpnz

@Southside - I have cut down a lot of trees on my 5 acres.  But that's what a pro would call a good few days.  I'm at that stage that people are either the proverbial dangerous 2nd Lt with a map and a compass, or smart enough to know their limitations.  I like to think I'm the latter. At least in this case I'm pretty sure I was.

About 6 years ago I got diagnosed with young onset Parkinson's Disease (38 at the time).  One aspect of that I never expected is anxiety.  Never had the slightest problem with that before, but after cutting down probably 8-10 trees (after a full day at my day job) I had a full blown anxiety attack.  It happened again after another evening (post work) of cutting down 6-8 trees.  After that I caught a clue.  Seems that combo of physical exertion and mental stress due to the dangers is what does it. It's forced me to be more thoughtful about things like falling trees.  The meds for PD help a lot but only so much. 

Max is now 3 trees in a day (and no more than 3 days running at that pace), and maybe only 1 tree if it's a difficult/stressful one.  And sometimes I look at a tree and just say "hell no".  Thankfully the vast majority of the trees that needed cutting are done by now.  So it's just the occasional tree like this one that I have to deal with for the most part now.

I could *DanG near feel anxiety swelling just looking at the tree in the OP.  And I didn't even have the chainsaw out.  

Mind you, I can run the saw all dang day limbing, bucking logs, running the CSM, and whatnot.  It's converting trees from vertical to horizontal that gets my stress levels up.

bannerd

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on October 26, 2021, 01:33:57 PM
I read all the posts in this thread and decided I'm either pretty good at what I do for a living, OR, I'm a moron not smart enough to be worried by this tree.   I don't really want to know which it is. :D  
And don't get me wrong I dont post this to brag, its just what I see and thought.

Because from what I can see in the pics I would have cut that tree down without any hesitation at all.  Would be a bit trickier than some but since it was not a high value tree so I wouldn't be concerned with fiber pull and it seemed like it had its direction decided and nothing to hit.  With the center broke and splits already there a barber chair would be pretty likely so I may or may not have opened it with a shallow face cut and would not have tried to bore it at all.    I would have made a T cut starting on the worst side then cut the more solid looking side.   Not much to it.  
But then I cut about 7000 board feet of timber a day with a chainsaw and have for decades.  
Its the first few thousand trees that's hard.   After that you start to get the hang of it. smiley_thumbsup
I was thinking the same.. I don't know.. I would have just cut the back side and walked the other direction.  If it had a 40" base and was perfectly vertical I might have question it... but that lean!

Wudman

The incident that Southside mentioned happened in our New Zealand Operations.  The safety alert is attached.  The operator of a TimberPro tracked feller was cutting a tree with multiple leaders in the top.  He heard the tree snap overhead and slid forward in the operator's seat and looked up.  One of the leaders fell straight down and entered the cab of the machine through the escape hatch.  If he had been in the normal operator's position, the stem would have hit him in the head and driven his body through the seat.  As it was, he walked away with minor scratches.  See attached safety alert for pictures. The escape hatch on these machines have been redesigned and reinforced.  His angel was with him that day.

Wud 
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Old saw fixer

Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

newoodguy78

That's unreal, you aren't kidding about his angel being close that day.
As someone with a plate and five screws in my forearm without the full use of my left hand from a tree landing on it, I cringe when someone gets overly lax when cutting trees especially questionable ones. There's nothing wrong with being confident in one's abilities but things happen fast and when least expected. 

Skeans1

It's not the first time I've seen that sort of picture is the bad part to the flat style sky lights vs the old style that were pop up style windows. We've seen limbs go through 1" without an issue.

mike_belben

i think that one was above angel pay grade!
Praise The Lord

B.C.C. Lapp

Quote from: bitternut on October 26, 2021, 03:36:01 PM

B.C.C. LAPP could you explain what a T cut is.
Quote from: Skeans1 on October 26, 2021, 03:44:52 PM
@bitternut
A T style back cut or a coos bay are where the two sides are taken first then you go right through the center both of which would of gotten that on the ground.
Skeans, bitternut covered it spot on. 
  Sometimes with a T cut I make a face cut and then open my notch, then bore cut the fiber behind the notch.   I do this with hard leaning trees that are also good lumber trees to avoid fiber pull or splitting.    Once you have removed enough wood as you can you release it by coming across the back side from the right then left depending on which way has the most pressure.   You always cut the side with the most pressure first.
Hard for me to explain in type.   Would be much easier to show you. 
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Thank You Sponsors!