iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree rescue

Started by charles mann, September 20, 2021, 11:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

Found this lil pecan and decided to rescue it from potential bonfire. The lady said many people stopped and asked for it, till they got up close to it and decided it was to big. Cutting the trunk from the rootball, i almost thought i had bitten off more than i could chew, but i prevailed. 

My wife questioned me numerous times as to why i spent $14,000 for 2 of these M936A2 trucks. She has no more concerns as to it being a wasted purchase when we loaded 5 logs in the time it took us to load 2 logs with my log arch on the same gn trailer. 

The single log pictured with my welder on the trailer is est at around 12,900 lbs. and will confirm or deny the weight with a cat scale ticket. 
I had to put my log getter in 6x6 low range to pull the trunk out of the hole it was sunk in to. 

The saw is a 661 w/ a 42" bar. 

Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Walnut Beast

Corley5

That's getting it done 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

That will keep you busy for a while. 
And the wood will be used for? Must have a plan for it, or you would not have taken the time to get it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

Is that truck what they call the deuce and a half? Boy I'd like to have one of those 
A1

GullyBog

Everything about this is awesome.  
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

mike_belben

Thats a 5ton. 

Nice work on that whopper of a tree.
Praise The Lord

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

charles mann

Quote from: WDH on September 21, 2021, 09:44:06 AM
smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil
Whats up with the devils??

@thecfarm

Plan is for cabinetry and counter tops for a co-worker and his parents in the houses they are going to have built. But im not apposed to anything else that comes to mind. I am going to have hustle to get my sawmill finished so i can start cutting up these trees i have in piles around the house.

@HemlockKing

As mike said, it is in the 5 ton family. There were deuce wreckers too, but not enough umph for my use. You can check the gov auction site for them, but the conventional hood/nose 2 1/2 and 5 tons are becoming almost as rare as hens teeth on the auctions. The cab overs are hitting the market though.
Temple, Tx

grabber green

Going to need more pics of both your dragonwagons. I always wanted a 5 ton wrecker of my own.

charles mann

Quote from: grabber green on September 21, 2021, 10:59:24 AM
Going to need more pics of both your dragonwagons. I always wanted a 5 ton wrecker of my own.
One is a control exchange truck. It has a bad allison xmsn, and iv removed the boom and drag winch, will eventually rmv the entire wrecker bed and start a modification of dropping a 10-13spd manual and maybe even swap the 8.3 cummins, for a big cam 350 cummins. Both the eng and xmsn swap has been accomplished in the 809 series 5 tons, but havent read anything on the 939 series. Im sure its such a pita that it makes it not worth it, except for the fact that these 936s with their weight, plus the loaded weight of trailer and loaded, would turn a 55 mph drive into 30 mph. They are as gutless as a politician after election night. 
Temple, Tx

wisconsitom

Heck of a stick of wood.  We drop lots of "stubs" that size in city forestry, but they're typically silver maples.

Good also to see you have a Miller welder on the trailer.  Made right here in this town.  Big, big employer.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Resonator

WDH is referring to Pecan as being an extra hard hardwood to saw, hence the mean nasty reputation.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

WDH

And to dry.  It kinks at the knots sometimes. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

charles mann

Quote from: wisconsitom on September 21, 2021, 12:47:09 PM
Heck of a stick of wood.  We drop lots of "stubs" that size in city forestry, but they're typically silver maples.

Good also to see you have a Miller welder on the trailer.  Made right here in this town.  Big, big employer.
Id love to get my hands on a couple maple trees that size but that is a heck of a drive. To Wausau, Wi, is a 19-20 hr drive pulling a trailer. 
But it could also be worth the trip is the wood is in usable condition. 
Temple, Tx

charles mann

Quote from: WDH on September 21, 2021, 02:12:43 PM
And to dry.  It kinks at the knots sometimes.
Oh yes it does. I had a 56+" pecan milled last yr and even though the lightening strike started drying it out, it sat for 3 yrs drying in log form, then 70 days under a black tarp with a fan pulling air across the slabs and 2wks in the kiln, it has some nice warpage near the knots. Good thing i cut them 3" think, plenty to shave off to get them flat. 
Temple, Tx

treemuncher

Quote from: Resonator on September 21, 2021, 01:44:43 PM
WDH is referring to Pecan as being an extra hard hardwood to saw, hence the mean nasty reputation.
If you think it's tough to saw, try mulching this stuff. I can run limestone riprap or concrete through the mulcher faster than I can Pecan. I did a couple acre job of that wood back in the spring. I would know when I was trying to mulch Pecan with my eyes closed because it would fight the machine so hard. I think it's worse than Elm or Hickory.
TreeMuncher.com  Where only the chosen remain standing

Resonator

QuoteTo Wausau, Wi, is a 19-20 hr drive pulling a trailer. 
Sounds about right, hauled a few flatbed loads from Wisconsin to Texas years back. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

charles mann

@treemuncher
Havent had the opportunity to saw any yet, except by csm, and it was old and soft/rotten enough, i didnt notice the difficulty. Iv got several big pecans to mill once im ip and going
Temple, Tx

johndozer

2 of those would make a nice pick under that big chopper you work on

charles mann

Quote from: johndozer on October 07, 2021, 02:16:49 PM
2 of those would make a nice pick under that big chopper you work on
We could probably sling the full trailer load (5pc) and that single log. We'd be a little over a 20,000# turn if all were choked together. 
Temple, Tx

Thank You Sponsors!