iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post Disc Mulcher Clean Up

Started by JDowns71, October 13, 2021, 06:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDowns71

Looking for tips on post mulching cleanup.   The brush and shrubs here are/were heavily overgrown and I will have a bit of mess when everything is said and done which is to be expected.  I'm going to have a few acres where I want to re-forest, create walking paths, etc.   What is going to be the best method to perform some cleanup?  Deck mower? Tilling? Rolling?   Or do you just not worry about it and let Mother Nature take its course?

I'll have a Kubota L4060 next season and I'm preparing what attachment besides a bucket, grapple, back-hoe with thumb to get ordered early.

For some areas the brush will be allowed to grow back in and maintained over the years. But right now the Cat simply disappears in the brush, its that tall and thick.   :D

Stoneyacrefarm

A York rake or drag rake will help a lot as well. 
Drag what you want and re seed. 
It's amazing how fast things will grow in. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

JDowns71

Quote from: Stoneyacrefarm on October 13, 2021, 09:30:38 PM
A York rake or drag rake will help a lot as well.
Drag what you want and re seed.
It's amazing how fast things will grow in.
Thanks for that info.

A lot got cleared today and allowed me to freely walk from the top of the property to the bottom.  What a difference!   The guy doing the clearing has done an amazing job leaving large shrubs in between tree stands and has captured what I wanted to accomplish to the "T".

The guy doing the clearing will also be the guy teaching me felling next year (meaning I'll watch and learn...he will do the cutting  :D).  But as we were talking I mentioned a future tractor and his polite response was... "I wouldn't drive a tractor down here".  

So time to rethink equipment and attachments.   I'm leaning towards a Cat 259D3 or the Kubota SVL65. He mentioned the 239 would do fine but I want to be able to get logs onto a future mill so I'm leaning towards a machine with a higher ROC.  Both are comparable on specs with the Cat slightly higher on total cost.   Both have good dealers close by.   The more I talked with him and my needs up here it became more evident that a track loader would fit my needs much better while also being much safer to operate due to the steep terrain.  Now that things are getting cleared I can see I drastically underestimated how steep the terrain was.

Any input on Kubota vs Cat for a track loader?

Thank You Sponsors!