iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What the H E double hockeysticks??

Started by Jeff, October 15, 2021, 08:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

I am not totally sure but I have a good feeling what you have found there is a Stinkhorn Mushroom in the development stage. That you were digging when you found it is a good clue. This specimen is still growing and what you have there is the underground stage before it pops up into the daylight. That stem will grow to full height in just 2-5 hours time. I will be sending this off to my guru to get confirmation but he is in the meddle of leading a 3 day mushroom retreat (yes, there is such a thing) so it may be a while before I get and answer. Pretty neat. Probably not an edible and some versions of this are poisonous.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

That's what it looks like. Gets a slimy, brown, pointed, dunce cap on the top. They grow incredible fast, I swear you can see them get taller, and they sure do stink.  I bet if you dig more around the same spot you will find them.  I usually find them in composting wood chips.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

The woods up here have had an abundance of mushrooms this year. I don't know one from the other, but it looks like a smorgasbord this fall for anyone who knows their 'shrooms.  8) The peek to me, was back in September. The grey jays up this way hide mushrooms in fir branches. But they are not around settlement areas.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aigheadish

Well, I don't have sound on this computer to hear any description that may have been made but barf! 

It's not nearly as gross thinking it's a mushroom. I thought it was an egg of some variety and wondered (still wonder) why you were touching it!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Roxie

I was watching and the minute you squeezed it, I was outta there!  
Say when

Sedgehammer

That's a great big zit that fell of a giants face. Geez guys, you didn't know that....... sling_shot
Necessity is the engine of drive

Jeff

I gotta think Old Greenhorn's got this one. That thing had laid there at least an hour and had dried up a lot.

Old Greenhorn

Don't hang your hat on my opinion yet Boss. I hate mushrooms and know very little about them but I do spend time with mushroom folks and some of it rubs off on me (I clean that off with alcohol). My guru hadn't gotten back to me, might not be until Monday or so because I know he is tied up.  Just be happy you found it in the phase that you found it. When it emerges it looks like, well, um, ah, sort of, well, you know, kind of a phaliyic thing, sort of.  :D :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

As soon as I saw this I thought it was something that OG needed to see and then I saw that he was the first person to comment.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

It looked like, well ,THAT to me as well. 

Thank You Sponsors!