iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st load in Kiln now what???

Started by whittle1, April 16, 2022, 09:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whittle1

I have 1700bdft of 4/4 SYP in kiln it had air dried down to between 14 and 15% I set the Nyle L200m dry bulb to 120 and wet bulb to 75 and final moisture to 9. Yesterday at 4 pm it reached final moisture, I turned the compressor and vents off set final moisture to 0 and dry bulb to 160. This morning I opened the man door and threw 5 gals of water on the floor. I think the sterilization and pitch setting should be complete tomorrow morning. Should be about 36 hrs at 160. Now onto my question how do I cool down, turn everything off and leave kiln closed? Open vents? Open doors. What do you guys do after sterilization cycle?
Thanks for your help.

Southside

Why did you dump the water on the floor? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

whittle1

Suggestion from Stan, helps equalize the moisture throughout the board from what I understand.

lumberjack1986

Yep, Stan recommended 5 gallons of water per 2k bdft for conditioning/relieving tension.

I'm interested to see what folks say about cool down.

K-Guy

Quote from: whittle1 on April 17, 2022, 06:24:40 AMSuggestion from Stan, helps equalize the moisture throughout the board from what I understand.

This is only for hardwood to release case-hardening if you have it and is unnecessary for softwood
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

whittle1

Thanks Stan I missed that little detail. What about the cool down cycle?

K-Guy

I have heard of operators just emptying it right away and reloading to save heat. Others prefer to do a cool down. I haven't seen any data on problems either way.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Thank You Sponsors!