iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Komatsu Forest

Started by Riwaka, May 09, 2022, 08:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

I'm under 6k for hours but had very little down time a few hoses, two encoder wires for the measuring wheel, a set of measuring wheel bearings, and a cable for the head to boom most of which was replaced before they needed to be other then the encoder wire. 

chevytaHOE5674

Native sounds like you need to switch brands. That machine sounds like a lemon and its support isn't working for you being 16 hours and 1000 miles away. A local guy would have had a loaner machine on the job within a few hours in most cases and would have worked on trading that lemon off. Since you are not mechanically inclined and knowledgeable about the workings of the machine you need a local dealer who can guide you thru the CTL journey. 

I feel for your issues and can assure you that all brands of equipment of all types have issues and lemons right out of the box. (For instance a DEF pump for a cummins is/was a 6-8 month wait and in my podunk little town of 1400 residents I knew of 3 machines parked waiting for DEF pumps with less than 200 hours on them), (or the counties new Cat grader with 26 hours waiting 4 weeks on a new ECM and engine wiring harness). 

nativewolf

Really sucks when we poured our souls into our work.  Our forests are great, better than our pocket books.  Literally as I have been replying to messages, thanks all, I was asked to take on another 4K acres as a favor, ie we are doing them a a favor. 
Not sure what to do with it right now.  

Having a grader down with 26 hours is, I admit, worse.  

@Skeans1 that is what we expected for a million dollars.  
Liking Walnut

chevytaHOE5674

Not even joking the first Ponsse i ran with 19,000 hours on it had less downtime than your new one. 

In your situation if Pekka at Ponsse was unwilling to work out some sort of appropriate deal (ie new machine, or have a service guy on standby), I would be jumping off that ship.  

nativewolf

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 07, 2022, 10:29:26 AM
Not even joking the first Ponsse i ran with 19,000 hours on it had less downtime than your new one.

In your situation if Pekka at Ponsse was unwilling to work out some sort of appropriate deal (ie new machine, or have a service guy on standby), I would be jumping off that ship.  
Absolutely what I expected.  Not this ...
Liking Walnut

Dom

NW, you have every right to be frustrated.
You and your team did all the business analysis and risk analysis only to be failed by Ponssee and the dealer.

You know enough mechanically for a new machine. Would you rebuild a pump? Probably not, but that's for the pros. 

Sorry for hear for your son. I'm currently watching my 4 year old learn to skate. Sometimes wish I was elsewhere, but makes me think and re organize the list of priorities.

I really hope Ponssee will make it right for you. Sounds like you'll need to start negotiating.

nativewolf

Quote from: Dom on December 07, 2022, 05:08:30 PM
NW, you have every right to be frustrated.
You and your team did all the business analysis and risk analysis only to be failed by Ponssee and the dealer.

You know enough mechanically for a new machine. Would you rebuild a pump? Probably not, but that's for the pros.

Sorry for hear for your son. I'm currently watching my 4 year old learn to skate. Sometimes wish I was elsewhere, but makes me think and re organize the list of priorities.

I really hope Ponssee will make it right for you. Sounds like you'll need to start negotiating.
Cold butt now will deliver warm memories for years to come.  Thanks for the kind thoughts.  Enjoy the cold butt.  
I don't really have much ability or desire to negotiate.  
Liking Walnut

quilbilly

We have a log loader we bought with 400+ hours on it. John Deere 2156G. A couple hoses on the grapple are it. We are at 1700 now. The fuel tank gauge only works down to half a tank now, but that's not a big deal. It's not a harvester but that's quite bad luck. I know a company that bought all Cat loaders. 568's. All good except one. 5 machines all within two years of each other and one had a really similar story to yours. Only had 1400 hours bc it was always down getting worked on. The rest had 8000+. 

A buddy of mine runs a ponsse forwarder. He's down quite a bit chasing electrical issues. Phone support is good, but where we live you're often out of range and have to drive 10+ minutes from the landing, chat, then run back and try stuff. 
a man is strongest on his knees

Riwaka

Downunder further away from the place of manufacture for many parts. (processors made here Waratah 600 series, Satco, Woodsmanpro ) and various felling heads, grapples.

Australia - old Valmet tracked with logmax,   Kobelco  fixed grapple(bucket swap) rubber track pads - for street work? and Timberpro Forwarder.

Adelaide Hills Logging Video 4K - YouTube

Komatsu - have the Japanese factory built high and wides, factory rops forestry cab or local cab options  (2 models - 270 and 300) (there are only a few Komatsu yellow tracked tilters that I know of)  Timberpro tracked levelers still sell - repeat sales. Timberpro wheeled forwarders - very large, appropriate for where they are required.

Riwaka

The looming shortage of loggers in Idaho. Timberpro on the hill. Cats on the landing, 70 year old loader operator.

The University might consider changing their tagline handle. The publicity phrase "Educating the Vandals of tomorrow' might not be advantageous in the logging sector.

Idaho's logging industry struggles to fill jobs as demand for lumber continues to grow - YouTube

Firewoodjoe

Anything else on komatsu? I'm interested in just track machines. Like the xt430. Are the early xt430's basically a 425ex?

Riwaka

Chattanooga, TN Komatsu
Komatsu's Chattanooga Manufacturing Operation & Cartersville Customer Center Assist Power Equipment - YouTube

factory assembly line
VIRTUAL TOUR | KOMATSU | Video Production, Camera Crews & Animation | Chattanooga, TN - YouTube

I remember some loggers/ forest thinning changed from the Komatsu track 430 to the Komatsu wheel harvesters for better visibility/ tree selection.

Firewoodjoe

If I knew I'd stay in cleaner medium sized wood I'd try a rubber tired machine at some point. But I get into 20-30 inch oak and the power and ability a fixed head has I really like. The timbco I have is great. And would like one bigger or just maybe something to run to rebuild mine. It's just showing its age everywhere. I go back and forth from fixing what I have vs just updating like most people do. And there's starting to be some good used fixed head komatsu pop up for sale. It doesn't look like they changed a lot on the early ones. Basically a yellow 425.

Mountaynman

Most guys here have run the circle and back to timberpro not sure if its service or reliabilty
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

chevytaHOE5674

There was one guy still running a komatsu fixed head processor around here, I see he now has a tigercat fixed head processor running. I'm guessing a lot of that has to do with the service for Komatsu being less than stellar around here.

All the other tracked fixed head machines around here are TimberPro.

Firewoodjoe

I've heard mixed opinions on timberpro around here. I like the timbco design and crosstrac is supposedly going to be the the lower Michigan komatsu dealer. 🤷‍♂️

Firewoodjoe

And komatsu owns timberpro. I'm sure it's a hole different deal but still.

chevytaHOE5674

Timberpro is supported by crosstrac which is 90 miles from here, and tigercat is woodland equipment @75 miles from here. So service is fairly close.

Komatsu is Roland Machine which is 175 miles away and has left a pretty sour taste in everybody's mouths around here. The machines maybe good but if the support sucks then guys look elsewhere.

Our county just traded a nearly new (~50hrs) Komatsu end loader for a Deere because RMS has been unwilling and unable to fix some DEF issues that have left a brand new loader down in the middle of salt loading season when they need the machine to be available 24/7.

Firewoodjoe

I deal with Roland in escanaba a lot. Zero and I mean zero complaints. Whether it's parts guy or a mechanic on the phone. Great with pricing and working with me. Never got the wrong parts or pricing. (A new kid did once and they made it right the best they could)  Even offered to have a guy drive down. I can't say that for any other dealer. I've gotten wrong parts, ridicules pricing at times. No mechanics available and even gotten no call backs. I have nothing bad to say about Roland and wish they had a dealer down here.

chevytaHOE5674

Funny we have the same dealer as you but exact opposite experiences. I know of at least 5 ctl crews that have dropped their Komatsu equipment in the last 5 or so years because they had so much trouble with RMS.

beenthere

Good reason not to use the Forum to belittle a business. Two sides and reasons to many stories.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!