iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LARGE T-BEVEL

Started by badger1, May 11, 2022, 07:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badger1

Hey Fellas, 

Is anybody aware of a place to buy a LARGE sliding t-bevel? I have a 6" and 9" but I was looking for something like a 12" or larger. 

Brand doesnt matter, I actually dont even care if its standard or metric measurements as Im just basically looking for the angle ability..I remember about a year ago I saw one someplace and thought I saved it but now I cant find it. I've even checked Ebay for vintage ones if they have them, I think stnaley used to make a variety of sizes, one of them pretty big, but havent found anything. I guess I could always make one, but if I had a choice and it was relatively reasonable I'd rather buy one. 

So far this is the largest one I have found: https://www.amazon.com/Shinwa-62596-Japanese-Stainless-Sliding/dp/B0016V7J9M/ref=asc_df_B0016V7J9M/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309802506143&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14893934261062076966&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019514&hvtargid=pla-421535654130&psc=1

This one is longer, but it doesnt have good reviews to lock the angle, and I dont need the digital function, was looking for a simple angle finder likes the above...:https://www.amazon.com/Inches-Stainless-Digital-Goniometer-Definition/dp/B01K9WXSFC/ref=sr_1_40?crid=22QS57TCCFOM1&keywords=sliding%2Bt-bevel&qid=1652269510&sprefix=liding%2Bt-bevel%2Caps%2C213&sr=8-40&th=1

Thanks! 
Contact me via PM, willing to help with projects for more experience
1986 Woodmizer LT30, STIHL MS261C, 1997 Dodge 2500 CUMMINS

Don P

I was going to suggest the japanese one. I have a Scale of Chords, if I'm remembering the name right. It came from @Jim_Rogers , it does not lock but I've used it to transfer angles. By setting a pair of dividers to a marked point on each leg and then putting the dividers on a scale etched on one leg it gives the angle, which is the purpose of that tool. I've used it to transfer angles more than finding them tho. Square nuts is another in some situations. 

beenthere

Years back, I purchased something similar from member @Jim_Rogers
Maybe Jim will remember if it something that would work for you. I do not use it, so if it would work, I'll send it to you.

Edit: Now I have to find it, as it isn't where I thought it hung for a long time.  :P
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

doc henderson

what is the application?  may be some other ideas.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

badger1

@beenthere I appreciate the offer, I would be interested if you eventually find it, I would of course pay shipping etc

I actually use a t-bevel quite a bit I find, transferring angles I like it better than my large speed or framing square for some things (obviously use those all the time), also unrelated to timber/log building I work on old wooden boats that many times have "interesting" angles and often wish that the t-bevel I use would be just a little bit longer. 

For 90 or 45 you cant beat the squares but for other angles I like to use a board that I have all angles on, set the bevel and then use that rather than the pivot point on the speed square just because I feel like I can be more accurate and consistent that way.

My guess is that there probably isnt enough demand for the big guys to mass produce them so maybe it isnt a cost effective thing to offer, just thought I would check here to see if anyone knew of something I missed. 

Like I said before I suppose a fella could just make one, couple thin strips of aluminum, drill a hole with a wing nut, I dont need the measuring capabilities, just the ability to lock in the angle and then I can always transfer that to a board, timber or pattern etc. 

Not one of those tools you'd use daily, but when you need it, would be nice to have. 
Contact me via PM, willing to help with projects for more experience
1986 Woodmizer LT30, STIHL MS261C, 1997 Dodge 2500 CUMMINS

Don P

Quote from: beenthere on May 11, 2022, 09:54:27 AMEdit: Now I have to find it, as it isn't where I thought it hung for a long time.  :P
I can't imagine what you're talking about :D

beenthere

That's my shop, sans the windows..  

But this one didn't have a lock on it to hold an angle. So may not be what the OP is looking for here. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

My thought is if a bevel can slip its a worthless toy.  I've have several different size shop made bevels that didn't take much time to make, are accurate, and most importantly will not slip.  For the hinge I use a 1/4 or 5/15" carriage bolt glued in with ca glue with a nylok nut.  To tighten I use a wrench.  The nylok nut is the secret to not slipping.

Of course a Chris Vesper bevel would be nice, be prepared to pay $500 or so and be on a waiting list.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!