iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oil time

Started by Peter Drouin, August 02, 2022, 10:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

With the salt in NH a truck won't last 5 years. This 2006 is the last 5 speed GM made. Just turned 100,000 miles, My one ton 2005 is a 5 speed too with 77,000 miles on it.
Don't want to spend 50,000 on a new truck. The 1 ton is 70,000 new.

I did try this junk, and it did not stay on, back to oil.

But, the can to put the oil on works well with 165 psi. :D
Anyone knows how to clean the light?

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Southside

I have tried those DIY headlamp kits - results are pretty good, but only for a short time.  Best results we have had was to bring it to Sams club.  $25 and they would warranty the work for several years, brought it back once or twice during that time and was happy with the results.  Shop while they do the buffing.  I am sure other shops do a professional job. My pickup needs it now and I will just bring it in.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rusticretreater

Auto parts stores sell a polishing kit, but you better be patient and prepared for a lot of polishing,  If you try to use a power polisher, its gotta be low speed because a higher speed can melt the plastic and make it a total smear.  I just buy new ones.  No need to scrimp on safety.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Peter Drouin

I will look at new ones. But all my $$ are going into the HOT ROD now.

;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

kantuckid

I've never had much of a great result from polishing a HL. I have however, bought many of them from salvage yards, ebay and repaired the ears on lots of modular HL's. Either buy a good one from Asia or a salvage yard. 
 Liquid wax works OK in rocker panels if the timings good, meaning not after rust has already set in them. It's a preventative not a fix. It comes in several brands but is a wax which you spray in, then it congeals and protects for many years, new vehicle mfg.'s use it. 
One of my fellow tech school teachers put used crankcase oil in his rocker panels. He was a top mechanic trained at the well regarded Nashville Auto Diesel school but a hardcore, old school wrencher. His entryways in his cars always had dirty oil dripping. :D Jack was also computer wary and would not own a puterized vehicle but his rocker panels were solid! 
My beer can Ford F-150 is a 2015 model, 1st year of the alu body trucks. Not rusty rockers on this baby.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

barbender

That aluminum will corrode too, I've seen it on old Mack truck cabs and van trailers up here.
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

To polish dull plastic headlamps get Diamond chrome polish. If you have a buffer use a foam pad. I have had great luck with this metal polish. After I painted my truck I wet sanded and foam buffed the whole thing with Diamond. That worked much better then anything I had on the shelf and the water based stuff I had bought.

GRANITEstateMP

Peter, I've had great luck with NHOU in Chichester. I like there products...and hate rust, and truck payments!  I found it easier in the long run to buy new headlamps when I had my 05 vs try to polish them

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

47sawdust

The product mentioned by GranitestateMP gets my vote as well.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

Is that the black stuff?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

The stuff will not set up. So when you work on the truck, your arms, hands are black.
I look at that stuff and I'll past.
With all things I change oil in, I have a bunch. :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

kantuckid

Waxoyl->look it up! ;)
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

bodagocreek2

I can,t remember where I read it but the article  mentioned using wd40 on plastic headlight covers.

peakbagger

My Mercedes Unimog's come equipped from the factory with waxoyl, they still rust. Not much works in areas exposed to abrasion from grit on the road getting blasted at the steel like in wheelwells. Make it hard enough to stay in place and it can debond and form corrosion pockets. Fluid Film and Woolwax are basically the same product and they both require annual cleaning, inspection and reapplication in areas exposed to erosion. The problem with these products and spray on oils is on used vehicles. They can hide a lot of surface rust, the rust just soaks it up and makes it look like factory. No matter what it may look like, the rust has already started and unless the cleaned it thoroughly there are corrosive chemicals trapped on the rusty surfaces which will soon start rusting again and form corrosion cells. In many cases these spray on rust systems are worse in the long run for the vehicle if not maintained.

Bruno of NH

I use Krown under coating or heated bar and chain oil
Used oil is acidic and can cause corrosion. 
One off my good older friends had a mechanic shop in West Lebanon for years made lots of money hot oil undercoating cars and trucks.
Side note him and his main helper that sprayed the hot oil (bar and chain oil)
Both got cancer my friend died and the other guy is still in the cancer fight. 
They just wore dust masks. 
I think the spraying was the cause of the cancer. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Greenie

I've used Fluid Film before with limited results with rust prevention. I applied Fluid Film to a 2004 pristine Florida Grand Am one time and we ran that car for 15 years but still had to replace the brake lines. Fluid Film does help snowplow rigging (the physical connection of the plow to the truck amazingly well).
I've used Rust Check - a Canadian product - on a 2019 Equinox since new. The work is done at a franchise and then reapplied once a year for $175. The Equinox is still too new to rust even without any treatment so it's still unclear whether Rust Check works any better than other products.

moodnacreek

Spraying oil/wax mix in the seams works for a long time but what is needed are plastic shields from the drive shaft hump to the wheel opening, rocker panel and bumper edges and slightly beyond. These would need to be attached in a way that would not cause rust. I am told some high end European cars have this. The first person to work on the car would leave these off.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

47sawdust

Bruno,
Did that happen to be Kidder's garage in West Leb?
Mick

Bruno of NH

Quote from: 47sawdust on August 06, 2022, 08:54:58 AM
Bruno,
Did that happen to be Kidder's garage in West Leb?
No Orin's Citgo just down the road
But I know the Kidders as well They use hot oil as well . Now fluid film 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

customsawyer

This is just one more reason folks don't retire and move up north. :D Someone pass the grits please.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Bruno of NH

Quote from: customsawyer on August 07, 2022, 07:37:14 AM
This is just one more reason folks don't retire and move up north. :D Someone pass the grits please.
You would like it in the fall it's beautiful. 
And great working weather  :D :D

240b

cosmoline on frame an under cab/bed. fuild film in cavities, sprayed at 30psi max. 

Thank You Sponsors!