iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing outside deck boards

Started by JD Guy, August 08, 2022, 11:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Guy

Hey Y'all! 

We have a nice uncovered deck outside of our screen porch that faces South. About 22 years ago we did a renovation and some additions to the house. That's when the deck was built.
  Fast forward to now and the original YP Cox brand(they have since been purchased by Culpepper out of VA) treated 5/4 x6 is in need of replacement.
  Just wondering what might be a good alternative to treated YP that might be sourced from a sawmill here in Upstate SC or Western NC?
  Considered going to a composite deck product but it is expensive and fact is I'm a wood guy at heart 8) so would prefer to stay with a wood product.
  Any suggestions would be most appreciated!
Thanks Much, Ed

Wlmedley

You might check out black locust.I haven't used it for that application but have saw it advertised as a treated wood alternative for deck boards.I know it holds up good for posts.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

Tom King

If they are screwed down, you might be surprised at what the bottoms of them look like, and can turn them over.  We've done that a number of times on docks, and usually only have to replace less than 10% of them when we turn them over.  The "new" side won't last as long as the other side that been up for 20 years, but long enough to be worth the trouble.

JD Guy

The deck boards were nailed down unfortunately. I am actually surprised that they held up,as well as they did as I never used any preservative or treatment on them. Cox, if I remember correctly dried prior to treatment so it was significantly better than the wet stuff currently found at the box stores that squirt at you when nailing it :D.

As I'm now 71 if I got another 20 years from the deck I think I'll be good!

I will check around and see if there's any locust available in our area.

Thanks!

K-Guy

For bug and rot resistance try ipe or cedar. Ipe is strong as well as resistant but hard on tools, cedar has to be thicker as it isn't as structurally stong.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

aigheadish

I'm not sure when my house's deck was built but the house is 20 years old this year. We also just redid the deck and had to replace a couple of the boards. We haven't done any sealing to it in the 6 or so years we've lived here, though it was painted when we moved in. The wife refinished the whole thing and put a sealer stain on it and it looks great now. I still had some of the boards laying around in the shop from when it was built, so that was handy. I don't think they were treated, just 1/2"x6" I think. 

Beware, I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else but I just read about composite's ability to absorb and retain heat. Like it would heat up substantially more in the sun than a wood board right next to it. If I recall like 40 degrees hotter! In the winter maybe that'd be nice, in the summer it spells some burnt feet for a no-shoe wearing faux-hippy like me.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

JD Guy

Quote from: K-Guy on August 08, 2022, 01:19:39 PM

For bug and rot resistance try ipe or cedar. Ipe is strong as well as resistant but hard on tools, cedar has to be thicker as it isn't as structurally stong.
Thanks! I was kind of wondering if cedar would be a good alternative. IPE is probably more than I want to spend and it's a real booger to work with I've been told.

florida

I would just go back with PT deck boards just like what you have.  Sometimes the pragmatic solution is the best one. I much prefer synthetic decking with hidden screws but as you point out guys our age don't buy 30 year warranties. I put a new roof on my house last year. I'd wanted and planned for a metal roof for years but when the big day came I went with shingles because a shingle roof will probably outlast me and cost half as much as metal.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

beenthere

Also would go with PT SYP decking, Premium grade radius-edge decking. I bought 10% over what was estimated and stickered, after selecting out the heartwood boards. Returned what was not needed.
After a couple months air drying, then screwed them down for a deck. Very few shelled out and were replaced.
After 32 years with only two wood protector treatments, going to have the deck pressure-washed and stained (and not by me).

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: K-Guy on August 08, 2022, 01:19:39 PM

I went a little thicker ;)  6x12 sills holding up 5x17 joists, 22" OC and 4x8/4x10 deck "boards".  End fascia of 2.5x17 ;D

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

K-Guy

If my pockets were deep enough to afford it up here, I would only use red cedar for deck boards and rails. Unfortunate we only have white cedar and it isn't that attractive.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

JD Guy

Really too bad that sweetgum isn't a viable alternative. We have an abundance of it on our acreage and it would give me great pleasure to have them all gone :D

btulloh

If you've got a lot of sweetgum it could be a good choice for deck boards. (???). It would have to be replaced every year so you would use up your sweetgum trees quickly.  :)
HM126

Tom King

When my Wife and I got married, she was doing pottery, and used ashes in some glazes.  We decided we'd see if Sweetgum was good for anything, so burned some and tried the ashes.  It wasn't any good for that either.

aigheadish

I found some sweetgum spike pod seed things that have been in my freezer for years now that I've considered planting. I'd guess they wouldn't grow anyway but you guys make it sound like that's a bad idea. Between them and the locust spikes of death my yard could be a real hazard!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

sprucebunny

Much as I love wood of all kinds, if my pockets were deep I'd get fiberglass grating like they use on docks or industrial walkways. 

I put a steel roof of the house and the snow comes shooting off ( for the first 5-8 years...) and it would be good if at least some of it went thru. Less shovelling.

It would be good if it was barefoot friendly but they make outdoor carpets that would solve most of the problems in the summer.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

In addition to the spiral grain issues that cause it to be very difficult to dry without twist and warp, and in addition to being poor firewood, and in addition to its very poor rot resistance, and in addition to its proclivity to root sucker and take over a site, sweetgum has very little wildlife value  :).

However, big old sweet gum with a lot of heartwood and quartersawn is drop dead gorgeous.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Sure is fun to saw too. All them big wide boards beautiful grain, board feet adding up, Customer and helpers impressed.

Long as you can saws um and leaves um, sweet! :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

gspren

I'm sure I posted that we moved last year but not sue if I mentioned that the new house is on a short dead end road that can only be accessed from Gumtree Road so all directions to get to our place involve Gumtree. We do have some oaks and Hickorys but plenty of Gum.

PS: When I replace the decking at the beach house it will be some kind of plastic, hot foot is better than splinters.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Spike60

Want to post a sincere thank you to @Tom King on that flip the decking idea. Sure enough, I looked under one of my decks and just like you said, they are in surprisingly decent shape.

Never gave it a thought, but I know how it would have played out. Wouldn't have started pulling the boards until AFTER I went out and bought new material. Then I'd be standing there with a dumb look on my face when I realize that most of the boards are reusable. LOL
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

kantuckid

This tightwad had a few PT boards go bad on an outside deck 40' long. I took some 5/4 white oak boards and rounded the edges and used them for replacements. They will last longer than you or me. 
I've had mixed results from the 5/4 PT decking around my home. Some seems to last and last, other not so much. On my cabin project cost matters and I'll definitely use oak for my front porch floor. On my home the first porch flooring, under roof, was all mixed horse farm fence boards- all 4/4x 16' oak. It's now the subfloor under ERC. Not under roof I personally would not use ERC even if thicker as-#1, I have no trees and #2, costs too much plus the sap wood rots fast exposed.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

maineshops

I have been replacing my deck boards with "sho Sugi ban" wood. Spelling..
It is a process where you burn the surface of the wood. I used red pine to replace my front steps 3 years ago and it looks good so far. No finish.  It is supposed to last 100 years. I'll let you know. Just a thought. Dan
Phil:4, 13

petefrom bearswamp

SYP 2x6 treated by a local company in 1993 here.
Sure we get it scraped and stained about every 3 to 5 years but it looks like new.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!