iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Butternut Seedlings

Started by SwampDonkey, July 17, 2006, 05:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Quote from: metalspinner on April 12, 2021, 04:37:29 PMHang in there, Swampdonkey. You're half way to 25 years now. 😁
That one the mice girdled. :-X But I have had them produce in 12 years, probably 2-1/2" diameter at the base of the tree. A tree I planted at my uncle's.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 12, 2021, 04:59:35 PM
@SwampDonkey you need to send me some of those seedlings so I can grow it and show the guy that tried to sell me cottonwood as butternut.  They may not survive the trip though.
Probably near impossible as a seedling. They'd also never let a live plant cross the border, and especially not an endangered one. Nothing says nuts can't cross. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

firefighter ontheside

Maybe if it came across while dormant they would be convinced its just a stick.  And before Covid, I'm pretty sure nuts were crossing everyday.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

I'm pretty protective of these to trees, planted from @SwampDonkey nuts in 2012. The last two years they finally took off. Must be it took a decade to get roots through that clay.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Those are about the size of the one I trans-planted 3 years ago in the yard. I have one that is near big enough to flower, have not checked it out this spring up at the woodlot. I have several in the Arthur blow down area, and others here and there some get over taken for other trees, others are kinda in meadow openings. Neighbors have one of mine to, it's the size of yours also.

WhitePineJunky

I got 2 butternuts to plant I was gifted, about 3 foot tall. A guy in town has a nice mature one very nice looking trees

thecfarm

I would plant them way away from each other.
The nuts will fall off and grow new ones. Or the squirrels will bury the nuts.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Your neighbor or someone else has probably planted one from New Brunswick, as it is the only Atlantic province with native butternut. They are also self pollinating. :) Plant in full sun.

WhitePineJunky

Yes I see it's range is a small strip west- east southern NB. Got them planted. 2 white ash and a Chinese ginkgo tree as well

Thank You Sponsors!