iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree selection for replanting

Started by Busy Retire Guy, April 24, 2008, 11:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Retire Guy

We are going to clearcut 30 acres in Clare county , Mi which contain 10 acres of seasonal wetlands. The area now has poplar and mixed hardwoods. We will cut in August to reduce to Poplar regeneration.

We are considering planting white spruce or red pine leaving the wet lands clear and a estabishing couple wild life food plots. I am told that the deer do not favor these two varieties resulting in less wildlife tree loss. I are looking for advise to determine which tree has a better economic return when the crop is timbered.

BaldBob

I don't know that much about either red pine or white spruce, but if both are adapted to that site, plant a mix of both for diversity.  As to which will have the better economic return when the trees are harvested, no one has a crystal ball that good.  It is extremely naive to think that the market conditions that exist today will bear any relationship to what they will be when the trees you plant now reach harvestable age.  The best course of action is to plant the mix of trees that will do best on the site, is diverse enough to best weather any biological or physical "catastrophes" that may occur over their lifetime, and will best meet your near term goals.

Jeff

Welcome to the forum.   :)

I'd have to say that the Red Pine is going to be your best selection for timber purposes. There are plenty of specific markets. Its impossible to say whether those markets will be as available in 50 to 70 years, but odds are good. Pole trees and cabin logs go for premium.

Spruce on the other hand is slow growing in comparison to the Red Pine and I don't know of any specific markets for it in or around Clare county other then the Amish, or lumped into a sale to one of the mills. I could name several for the Red Pine. 

Do you have a Forester involved that can help you with site specific information and pending timber sale?  Where are you located? I've most likely driven by since I've lived and worked in the Forest Products industry in your (our  ;)) county my entire working life.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Clark

Spruce and pine are both good choices for the lakes states and deer tend to avoid both.  As Jeff posted, red pine has more markets and is definitely the "bread and butter" of the lake states timber industry. 

Since you don't plan on planting any of the wetlands, I would be careful with the red pine around the wetter spots.  While they may do fine for many years, it only takes one or two years of high water on your land and they'll be dead.  Spruce is slightly more tolerant of wet conditions, but not much.  I think you'd be wise to throw in a species more tolerant to water levels, maybe tamarack or even silver maple.   I would recommend tamarack as it grows very well on higher ground, pretty good on low ground and looks great in the fall.  ANd if you get the inkling to plant more of the wetter area, you will know how the tamarack does there.  Just something to consider.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Phorester

Welcome to this forum.  (Retirement.... what's that??   ;D)

Clearcutting is not a goal all by itself.  It's the means to reach a goal.  So the first question I ask is, why are you doing the clearcut?  That will probably have a bearing on what to plant.  Beyond that, as already suggested, go with the particular tree species best suited to the site and to your ownership goals in this 30 acre area. 

SwampDonkey

Deer and moose like red pine tops. The deer like to pull newly planted pine out of the ground, in the process of ripping off the new spring pine candles. Mmm, yummy.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

straightree

At reading Busy Retire, the same idea as Phorester puts down, has come to my head. Why clear cut? I am far away from your country, and therefore my opinions have to be considered in the light of this distance. Nevertheless, I would consider if anything already there is worth keeping. Poplars have not much economic value in my country, and suppose is the same in the States. Hard woods may be a different story, depending on species and shape. Also, poplar is a pioneering specie that gives shelter to some hard woods to be established under them, if they are shadow tolerant. 

Thank You Sponsors!