iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Sharpening Service in/near CT

Started by james04, December 16, 2008, 10:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

james04

Hi Guys,

I have not done any milling since last winter. But I am ready to get going again. I have ten of the Cook's Sharps and one of the blades that Norwood sent with the mill. 8 of them need to be sharpened. Can anyone recommend a service in or around the Connecticut area that can do these blades? Sending them down to Cooks is cost prohibitive. I believe it will be $30 each way.

Regards,
James

Tom

With that few blades, you might find a thin kerf sawmill owner who sharpens his own that would do it for you.  I doubt that you will get the same profile that Cook put on the band unless you send it to Cook. Still, they can be sharpened to saw wood.  

Menominee (look on the left margin here) might be able to help for less shipping.

Sometimes the place to look for sharpening locally is at an Industrial supply. Many sell woodworking equipment and blades.  Some have contacts and contracts with sharpening businesses.

Captain

James you should look up Bandmiller2 in Franklin, MA.  May not be all that far from your location...

Captain

MartyParsons

Wood-Mizer Resharp would be $ 10.00 one way shipping with a ARS label  Authorized Return Shipment.UPS ( Special Rate) And the return would be around $ 14.00. If you have not used WM ReSharp we can even get you a cupon for you first time. What is the tooth spacing of your blades? We can do 5/8, 7/8 1 1/8 and in a couple weeks 3/4" spacing. Most blades we see are 7/8. They will be ground to WM spec. We also will not guarantee any other manufactured blade against breakage. Some blades when we set the teeth the teeth fall off. This is because the teeth are so hard and brittle.
Here in PA we are doing about 90 blades daily. ( A little slow for the holiday this week)
The Closest ReSharp center for you is Hanibal New York. 315-564-5722
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

james04

Thank you for the responses. I have sent Bandmiller2 a PM.

Has anyone one on the forum had there Super Sharps sharpened by a service other than Cooks with success? Were they ground to the original profile?

Marty,

Do you know if your program has had success with the Cooks "Super Sharps"? When you say to Wood Mizer specs. Will the blades still have the same profile such as rake angle or will that be changed?

Has anyone one the list had there Super Sharps sharpened by a service other than Cooks with success? Were they ground to the original profile?

James

bandmiller2

James, sent you a PM might have been complications logon timed out if you didn't get it let me know. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

james04

P.A. RESHARP

Hello, in response to the question about the woodmizer specs, woodmizer resharp uses the same machines for resharp that they do in the production of the blades. We do all types of blades and profiles, but after they go through our process they will be a woodmizer 10, 4, 9,or 13 degree, whatever your needs would require.Once the blades are done we like the customer to use woodmizer bands, because it is hard on the grinding wheels to keep doing differnt type profiles from other bands. At woodmizer resharp we give the blade a rough grind, then it goes to the washtank where we take the burr off of the blade, and all the dirt and pitch. then the blade is computerized set to within a 1 thousands tolarance. and then after all of that it gets a final light grind for a super sharp blade. Most blades with normal use will yield 5 to 6 sharpenings.

hope this helped you out.

james04

P.A. RESHARP,

Thank very much. It sounds like a nice program. It certainly sounds reasonable to me.

James

mike_van

James, just a few thoughts on blades - I sent mine back to Cooks for years, before I bought one of their sharpeners. Everyone that came back cut like new, although the entire profile was not always ground. Sometimes I could see where only the face of the tooth & a small amount of the back angle had been ground. But they were sharp. Besides the right cam, a lot of the profile has to do with how the grinding stone is shaped.  I don't think Cooks [or anyone?] is going to reshape a stone for every different blade profile?  I try to swap off between 3 blades that are pretty equal, that way to sharpen them, only the smallest bit of adjustment  on the grinder is needed. On the SuperSharps, I believe they recomend that the first few sharpenings, you only grind the face, not the back.  I tried [only two] and could not see the extra money over the Simonds Red Streaks which I've used for years. Buying my own grinder was like "sawmilling just got 100% better"  As I used to run the blades way past dull, knowing I had to ship them out.   If you use enough blades, a grinder & setter are worth their weight in gold, as they say.   
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

MartyParsons

Just a quick response. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

We do not shape stones. We use a CBN grinding wheel which grinds the complete profile with one drop of the grinder. ( No more drag grind!) We have different wheels depending on the hook angle 4 degree, 9 degree, 10 degree and 13 degree, and some new ones coming soon. 7 degree is the new one. (The CBN wheel fits the profile like a puzzle piece. ) If we get another manufactured blade we try to match it up as close to our profile (WM) as we can so we do not grind any more metal than needed. We get some requests to change a 10 to a 4 etc and that takes more time and give you less sharpenings on the blade. In the grinding process we grind it with a heavy grinding wheel, clean, set ( the set is different for the hook angle) and do a finish grind with a smother CBN wheel. The CBN wheels can be resurfaced with new diamond material once they get worn but this does not happen often the wear for a long time.
Floyd or Rich can add more later. Hope this helps.
If you are using a grinding service and the complete profile is not ground you are loosing. Every tooth should look exact, our shop is so bright so we can see if there is any dull spots in the profile.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

taw6243

I am trying to sharpen 4degree woodmizer blades after they have come back from Woodmizer Resharp and been dulled again. I find that the Resharp profile for 4 degree has change from the way it used to be and it now takes about 5 runs to properly sharpen the whole profile. I have the cbn  shop series sharpener from woodmizer and the auto setter
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

terrifictimbersllc

Are you saying your Woodmizer 4/32 wheel isn't the profile that you get back from ReSharp?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

taw6243

Yes their cutter is different now for the same supposed profile
4500 hours on my 2004 LT40HDG28, CBN sharpener and auto setter, 25" woodmaster planer with 9'auto leveling bed and trac vac chip handling system, 1998 L3010 kubota, 2010 L3200 kubota Festool TS75 rail saw with 42", 75" and 106" rails.

taw6243

taw6243

Their cbn wheel is not the same as mine

Magicman

I am wondering what profile CBN wheel that you have??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

taw6243

Magicman

4° only tells a portion of the profile.  I understood 4° but apparently the gullet or something else is different.  ??  The best answer could possible come from Wood-Mizer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Both you and Woodmizer re-sharp would have to be using the same CBN wheel. Just because it's 4 degree doesn't mean they're the same. Woodmizer will be using one that is labeled 4/32. It will also be a Woodmizer brand wheel and have a serial number on it. If this is not the one you are using, then you can't expect them to be the same. You would need to purchase one from Woodmizer, the cost is $140 last I checked.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

taw6243

That is pretty messed up if at their whim they decide to change a profile then we can't resharpen a resharped blade from woodmizer like I used to unless I buy their newly changed 4 degree  profile. Sounds like job protectionism from Woodmizer. I have noticed attitude changes at Woodmizer since the company went to employee owned ( sort of like when consumers power company I worked for for 16 years changed to consumers energy it became What is referred to as a corporate mentality. Less of an inclusive family atmosphere and a sort of hardening of the heart type of thing)

taw6243

I know they're a sponsor but if things are censored then how are they to know that they are getting so far away from their customers interests and loose touch with their great traditions that attracted me to them in the first place

taw6243

Our reputation here at Silverwood Sawmill is our lifeblood and what has kept us alive as a business. Great value, service and attitude builds loyalty and commitment between customers and business. We want to use resharp services

Magicman

You made your Reply #11 on May 2nd which was a Thursday. (work day)  Did you make a call to Wood-Mizer to express your concerns? 

Obviously, to me anyway, either you have a CBN wheel that is other than a 4°, or ReSharp inadvertently resharpened your blades on the the wrong machine that had a different (wrong) profile wheel.  Whatever happened, I feel that your call should have gone to Resharp.

terrifictimbersllc

I agree, their 4 degree profile hasn't changed. The suspect blades returned from resharp could be checked with the woodmizer blade gauge which has the 4degree profile on it to see what profile it matches.

Also, a technical point, but it may be affecting this conversation, taw6243  hasnt stated that he is using a woodmizer wheel.

Thank You Sponsors!