iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Who on here owns an old Kubota?

Started by StorminN, September 02, 2010, 01:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StorminN

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying an old Kubota, it's an L200. From what I can find, it's the first model they imported into the states, from 1969 to 1973. From what I can tell, this one is around a 1972? It has the lights on the fenders, not the in the grill...

My question is for the guys on here that have owned an old Kubota L200 or a similar (L175, L210, L225, L260) older two cylinder Kubota diesel... I went to check out this tractor the other day and when the owner started it, it took a while to start... he had to crank it over for a bit. This was with a brand-new battery, on a 60F day. He used the glow plugs, but I didn't pull them to confirm that they were actually working.

If I recall correctly, it smoked as it turned over, and smoked black smoke once it started to catch. I'd have to pay more attention next time. I don't have any experience with these two cylinder diesels, just newer three cylinder Kubotas and bigger stuff like six cylinder John Deeres. The only two cylinder diesel I've run was a little Yanmar (and it made a racket!)

Anyway, it seemed like this thing cranked over for too long for my liking, and when it did get going, it ran noisy and rough for the first little bit, like you would expect on a cold day, not a 60F day. So my question is... is this normal for these little engines, or should they start up quicker and not have so much rattle and clank? The one little Yanmar I have run in the past did clank like crazy – it sounded like a rod was loose, but the owner of that Yanmar told me that sound was normal...

Second question is - if this slow start / clanky behavior indicates something wrong with the top end on the engine, are these sort of parts still available for Kubotas of this age?

FYI, The owner is asking $1,200 for this tractor, which does start and run and shift and get down the road, and cosmetically looks good... it's not beat up, the tin is straight, looks like it's been kept mostly under cover, etc... it comes with about a four foot Rankin PTO brush mower, too...

Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

D Hagens

I bought one of these used, it was the only thing that would fit in between the posts in the chicken barns. Mine was four wheel drive.
Yes their starting can be a pain, sometimes they start right away, sometimes they smoke first. The smoke is nothing to worry about.
The engine can be noisy as in sounds like a knocking but that's normal.
I never spent a dime on it and I ran it hard at cleanout time. No let me rephrase that, I ran it hard all the time.
I still have it and it always runs great and does what it's spose to. The engine is spose to be a hard kill one and I've proven that a few times!
Oh yeah one last thing, check the PTO and make sure it runs the right way. Some of the first ones out the PTO turned the wrong way.

snowstorm

Quote from: StorminN on September 02, 2010, 01:11:52 AM
Hi guys,

I'm thinking about buying an old Kubota, it's an L200. From what I can find, it's the first model they imported into the states, from 1969 to 1973. From what I can tell, this one is around a 1972? It has the lights on the fenders, not the in the grill...

My question is for the guys on here that have owned an old Kubota L200 or a similar (L175, L210, L225, L260) older two cylinder Kubota diesel... I went to check out this tractor the other day and when the owner started it, it took a while to start... he had to crank it over for a bit. This was with a brand-new battery, on a 60F day. He used the glow plugs, but I didn't pull them to confirm that they were actually working.

If I recall correctly, it smoked as it turned over, and smoked black smoke once it started to catch. I'd have to pay more attention next time. I don't have any experience with these two cylinder diesels, just newer three cylinder Kubotas and bigger stuff like six cylinder John Deeres. The only two cylinder diesel I've run was a little Yanmar (and it made a racket!)

Anyway, it seemed like this thing cranked over for too long for my liking, and when it did get going, it ran noisy and rough for the first little bit, like you would expect on a cold day, not a 60F day. So my question is... is this normal for these little engines, or should they start up quicker and not have so much rattle and clank? The one little Yanmar I have run in the past did clank like crazy – it sounded like a rod was loose, but the owner of that Yanmar told me that sound was normal...

Second question is - if this slow start / clanky behavior indicates something wrong with the top end on the engine, are these sort of parts still available for Kubotas of this age?

FYI, The owner is asking $1,200 for this tractor, which does start and run and shift and get down the road, and cosmetically looks good... it's not beat up, the tin is straight, looks like it's been kept mostly under cover, etc... it comes with about a four foot Rankin PTO brush mower, too...

Thanks in advance for any advice.
-Norm.  they need the glow plugs on an 80 degree day. have a b8200 that did not have power steering ......it dose now.... it can be done. be carefull with the bushog the old b2000 had some pto problems with a bushog

StorminN

Thanks, D Hagen... yes, the knocking sound is what I was talking about... almost sounds like a rod knocking... only other diesel I've run that sounded like that was a little Yanmar 2-cylinder tractor, and my friend who owned that one said that's normal, too.
I haven't had any equipment with PTO's... conventional PTO turns clockwise when viewed from the rear of the tractor, correct?

Snowstorm, did you have something to add?

Thanks guys,
-Norm.

D._Frederick

I have a L-185 Kubota 2 cylinders and it started like you stated. If you kill it by stalling it, it will start with out the glow plugs.

This model Kubota has the design of an American tractor that dates back to the twenties, it does not have a live power take-off! When you  push-in the clutch, everything stops.

Check the transmission, mine has shift problems. The sliding gears are worn were they slide on the spline shaft.

The dealer claims that these 2 cylinder Kubotas engines are good for 15,000 hrs, just make sure that there is NO water in the fuel.

D Hagens

Quote from: StorminN on September 02, 2010, 03:45:34 PM
Thanks, D Hagen... yes, the knocking sound is what I was talking about... almost sounds like a rod knocking... only other diesel I've run that sounded like that was a little Yanmar 2-cylinder tractor, and my friend who owned that one said that's normal, too.
I haven't had any equipment with PTO's... conventional PTO turns clockwise when viewed from the rear of the tractor, correct?

Snowstorm, did you have something to add?

Thanks guys,
-Norm.

And the knock actually sounds loud and comes from the bottom of the engine? Yup that's normal and sometimes it's there and sometimes it purrs like a kitten.
K I'm trying to think about the PTO and which way it runs, scrating my head on that one!
I know I had this bif 4 wheel Russian tractor years back that a brute and it's PTO worked backwards. :o

isawlogs

PTO on that one turns normal. Normal to me would be like the JD and the Mf.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

StorminN

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies!

Sounds like the engine noise is common, that's good.

I confirmed that the PTO does turn clockwise when viewed from behind the tractor (conventional US style, correct?), and it the PTO does stop when you push in the clutch (not great).

Had a few guys say I can't buy a decent riding lawnmower for $1,200 so I should jump at this one – but I'm still a little leery because I called my local Kubota dealer and the handful of parts he looked up for it were all listed as "discontinued". Do any of you guys know of a source for parts for these older machines?

D_Frederick, I will go back and run it again and run it through the gears. It's three speed + reverse and high and low range, so eight altogether.

Snowstorm, what sort of PTO troubles did you have with the brush hog? Did it tear up the PTO gears?

Thanks, all...
-Norm.

isawlogs

What are the number of parts he did run up for it , night be available at NAPA or other part store .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

If a large enough # of them were sold in the country, used or rebuilt parts should be available from tractor junkyards, of which there are many. Search the internet.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Pudge

i'm not a guy but do own a little Kubota. It's a 70's did replace the glow plugs a few yrs back. Has the same knocking sound when starting, smokes too while starting and for a bit after, but runs like a charm. I mow with it all the time and love it. I'd probably casterate the first male that tried to take it from me.... :D :D :D Won't even let my grown kids use it.
Nailhead made a cover for the pto (I guess that is what it is in the front) just so no one would run into it.

RSteiner

There is an over running clutch you can get for the PTO.  It just slips onto the PTO shaft between the tractor and the drive shaft for say a brush hog or mower. 

When you try to stop the tractor by pushing in the clutch pedal a mower or brush hog can power the tractor forward for a few feet, not good if you want to stop and hard on the PTO parts.  An over running clutch protects you and the transmission.

Randy
Randy

Stan snider

My dad has a 225 and it had trouble with the pto. There is an internal overrunning clutch that began to give out. It would give most trouble with a rear tiller, intermittently catching then disengaging, then got worse with  a mower. This little tractor was used steady on a grain auger, mower, tiller,and anything else it was big enough for. The sprag clutch was several hundred dollars so we welded it up. I hated to do that but the internal parts were not available to fix it. It has run a lot since with no trouble. The steering box on it is sloppy and needs work again. We also put in a rear wheel bearing years ago.
It clatters when it starts but always has. Stan

StorminN

Thanks folks (gals included!) for the responses!

isawlogs, the parts he looked up were starter, regulator, and some tranny parts. I think you're right about the starter and regulator, I saw on one site that those are Denso starters and cross with some car starters, etc. The tranny parts are a different story, though... would have to find a junkyard that has one, like Okrafarmer said... or else call a couple of friends in Japan, if it came down to that...

Do any of you folks have a loader or any other external hydraulics on your Kubotas? I have seen some L200's in the internet with loaders, but it's my understanding you have to modify / replumb the hydraulic loop a bit to do it... anyone know what's involved?

I left a message with the owner that I wanted to buy this tractor, so wish me luck... will post pics if / when I get it!

Thanks,
-Norm.

Pudge

I get a chance I will take some pics of mine and TRY to post them......

D Hagens

Quote from: StorminN on September 08, 2010, 01:46:55 PM

Do any of you folks have a loader or any other external hydraulics on your Kubotas? I have seen some L200's in the internet with loaders, but it's my understanding you have to modify / replumb the hydraulic loop a bit to do it... anyone know what's involved?

I have a factory loader on mine, works great but very slow.

snowstorm

if it dosent have power steering forget the loader. mine has a flow control prority valve. if anyone an older kubota without power steering. i converted mine....its not that hard to do.it works real well.

shinnlinger

Norm,

I will just put it out there...  If your going to buy a Kubota that old, why not buy a 9n?  You can easily get parts for the ford and it doesn't sound like this Kubota has any features that separate it from the AMerican Iron and the Ford will hold it's value without costing you up front like a JD.  A Massey or International might also do the trick.  You will cob up stuff and patch the Kubota until it is worthless....

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

StorminN

Thanks folks, for the hydraulic replies. I'd more than welcome any pictures... better for me than words!

Good question about the 9N's, Dave – I was wondering when / if you would chime in...

Biggest reason to not go that route is because all those 9N's, 2N's and 8N's are like gold out here. One in the same shape as this Kubota would be $4k or more, easy... with no extras. Sure, occasionally I see a Ford, MH, etc. for under $2k, but they all need something... some are still 6V, some need tires (another $800) and I think all are 3 speeds, (unless they've got the added gearbox). Most of them are listed as "a great restoration project". I don't need another project, I need something that will work. My fiancée's Dad has a 1945? 2N in great shape, that he's had for 40-odd years. He loves that thing. His would fetch $4k or more here, and it's not restored.

This Kubota is a 6 speed, pretty darn clean, Hobbs meter says under 700 hours, it's a diesel, and it's $1,200... which to me right now somehow seems much more obtainable than $2,500 or $3,500. I'm not sure I'll own it forever, but I'm hoping to make it work for me for the next year or two, until I can get something else...

Thanks,
-Norm.

shinnlinger

Fair enough, N's are cheaper out here,  Maybe 60's Fords?  I hear you on not wanting to buy a project, but it sounds to me like that Kubota is going to become a project very shortly.  Especially if you want to add a loader.  I don't know if I would bother with that.  A small 2 wheel drive tractor with a loader will spin it's tires at the slightest reason.  It sounds like the factory hydraulics are too weak to power much of a loader anyway.  You could run a slip on PTO pump, but that just adds money.  I wouldn't be surprised if that kubota has a little rectangle hanging on the right side of the engine just in font of where your right foot would go.  You can sometimes get lucky and pull the plugs out of that and can run hydraulics from there.

I would look at 3pt mounted accessories.  YOu can make make/aquire forks or carryalls that will make moving things easier and put the weight where you need it, but make sure you have enough weigh on the front to keep you from flipping it over.

Good luck!!!!

Dave

Shinnlinger

StorminN

Yeah Dave,

A loader would be nice, but that's another project. If I happen to come across one that fits easily, I might go for it... but for now the rear 3pt is the thought. I've got a set of forks I made to go on a loader bucket, I plan on modifying those with a back rack and make them fit the 3pt hitch, if I don't just find a 3pt hitch carry-all before that. My soon-to-be BIL has a little set for his 9N-ish MF, and it works OK for him.

The other thing I might weld up is a little crane thingy like this, just to carry and skid stuff around.
http://www.everythingattachments.com/King-Kutter-500lb-Lift-Capacity-Boom-Pole-p/kk-bp-yk.htm

-Norm.

shinnlinger

THose boom poles are cheap and easy enough, but they bend in half real easy if you rub one up against a tree and they would probably be unstable for skidding anything too heavy, so if you make one, make it short and stubby...

Hey, shouldn't you be thinking about a marriage and not tractors right now?????
Shinnlinger

Okrafarmer

Quote from: shinnlinger on September 09, 2010, 11:05:54 PM
THose boom poles are cheap and easy enough, but they bend in half real easy if you rub one up against a tree and they would probably be unstable for skidding anything too heavy, so if you make one, make it short and stubby..

I've currently been using a factory built boom pole for skidding logs around our landing in preparation for setting up our sawmill. If you use a factory boom pole, you don't have to suspend the log from the far end. There are ways to attach your chain about half way along it, usually, and that works fine for just skidding them around.

They are pretty cheap new, and you can usually find them used even cheaper, don't go to the trouble of making one unless you have free metal on hand and have a welder and more time on your hands than money.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

ncguy444

Bought an  L185 this summer. Got it for $1,800 cash delivered on craigslist with an old brush hog and a 5 foot pulverizer. Could tell it was mostly stored outside due to the slightly dry rotted tires and embedded leaf debris on the hood. I also have a old ferguson to30 that I use to plow snow with at my plastics shop. Really did not need another tractor but the price was too good to pass up. It is an 1980 model two cylinder that is really a nice tractor and starts up rather easy and has plenty of power to even run a 5 foot brushog if you take it easy. It is only a 18 horse with no live PTO. A live PTO is a really nice option to have when mowing or running farm equipment. Kubotas are known for their dependability  and resale value. If you bought the tractor you could use it for several years and resell it for more that what you paid for it. The only thing other than the obvious things to look out for is a thing called "grey market". This is when the tractor is made for Japanese farmers and resold in the USA  after they have been used for a few years. I guess it is hard to find and match up parts in these tractors. Check all the fluids and drive it before you decide.

Okrafarmer

Believe it or not there are grey market John Deeres too, that come in usually from Mexico or Canada and are models not sold in the US-- they can be fun getting parts for, too. And a few of them have the same model number as a US sold tractor, but are different!

Thank You Sponsors!