iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

saw selection

Started by hisliptree3, May 13, 2012, 05:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hisliptree3

hi im in the market for a new saw and was wondering what to go with. i have a lot of different tree sizes and i need a decent saw, does not need tons of power. i was also wondering if i should go with stihl or another brand I'm open to any of them. i really want to stay less than 300$ and bar size around 16 inches or so. thank you for any suggestions.

lumberjack48

Heres 2 great saws for $300. that will do the job.

MS-250 Stihl or 445 Husqvana
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ianab

Often what your favourite dealer sells has a big influence.

QuoteMS-250 Stihl or 445 Husqvana
Yup, those are good choices, but you can look at Oleo Mac, Dolmar / Makita, J-Red, Echo as well. They all make saws that compare to those models.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

John Mc

About now is when we all start chipping in with suggestions on how if you're willing to spend $X more you can get the whiz-bang, super-deluxe, perfect saw for what you're cutting.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mad murdock

If money is tight, you can get a good value in a good used saw shopping on Craigslist, or look in the local classifieds, I have been given a few good non-runners for free, latest ex, a stihl 075 that required a little elbow grease and 30.00 worth of parts, and now have milled close to 1,000 bd/ft of lumber with it. I recently picked up a homelite 360 for $30. Just needs a $10.00 carb kit in it. I am going to a saw shop next week and buying 4-5 saws from their bone pile for $80.00(4 10-10 McCulloch's, 2 of them runners).  I guess if you are a little mechanically inclined or at least willing to learn, you can get a decent saw for little $$.  Thee is a lot of guys on this forum and others who are willing to impart their knowledge to help a guy get pointed in the right direction.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

clww

I'd recommend that you check out the local CL, too. The last two saws I bought was from there. The latest is a  MS460 that I paid $500 for. The one before that was an MS361 that I paid $375 for.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

John Mc

You can definitely find some good saws on Craig's list or eBay. Sometimes it's tough to tell if you are getting a good saw, or someone else's problems. If you are not familiar with chainsaws, it might be worth asking a friend who is to help you pick one out.

Some dealers will also sell used saws on occasion. The upside of this MIGHT be that he's gone through it and checked it out. The downside is that he needs to make his profit as well, so you'll likely pay a bit more for the same saw than if you bought it direct from the original owner. It is a way to start a relationship with a local dealer, however.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ladylake

A Echo CS400 off Ebay for just over $200 is one nice saw that really cuts.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Quite frankly a saw off flea bay is a dice roll .Most are sold as is if you read the ads .I've done fairly well but I also never paid too much either assuming they would all  need repairs .

If you can't repair saws you'd best not buy a flea bay saw .

Craigs list you're only dealing with the seller not the entire world .Also as has been mentioned take somebody with you if you don't know what to look for in a used saw if you go that route .

ladylake

Those Echo CS400 saws are new in the box but most  need the limiter caps pulled and tuned before they are used, not after 3 tanks.  Also a muff modd really wakes them up.  With both of those done they are a 13# ready to cut saw that cuts faster than most 15 to 18# 50cc+ homeowner saws.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Well just a couple of observations on these things .First it's a tiny little 40.2 cc saw .It might be okay ,I really can't say .

They list on flea bay from about 165 up to 240 or so ,plus shipping .Several sellers are second party type dealers and assume no liabilty in the transaction and some charge a restocking fee regardless of it's defective or not .

Now I'm not saying they won't work however the OP was asking a question obviously because he's unknowledgeable concerning chainsaws .

Now this is just an opinion  which I'm entitled to but it appears several venders have somehow acquired a box car full of basically "box store " saws and are peddling them on flea bay .

As such just how much more would it cost figuring shipping etc. and the hasstle to just buy the thing at the box store to begin with .At least Lowes,Wall Mart and Home Depot honer their warrentees .These flea bay people do not .--something to think about or argue such be the case --- ;)

ladylake

I know a lot of people don't but everyone that runs a saw should learn how to tune one, it's not that hard and will save them a lot of money.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!