iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making rings....

Started by mrcaptainbob, October 22, 2013, 11:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

So just how does a growth ring come bout? I see the bark, then a rather large ring of soft, white wood on this old oak, but then the next rings are really thin. And, of coarse, there's a dark side to every light side of growth ring. Is the dark side what used to be bark? Does the outer bark, or whatever eventually becomes a growth ring get compressed with age?

Ljohnsaw

From waaaaaayyyy back, high school biology.  There is a layer under the bark called the cambium layer.  It produces a layer of cells in both directions (toward the center and toward the outside).  Toward the center, IIRC, is the phloem (sp) and the outside is the xylem.  The xylem take the water up to the leaves and the phloem takes the food (produced by the chloroplast) down to the roots.  Every year, a new set is produced - the old xylem becomes the inner bark, the old phloem becomes the heart wood (which is dead).

Did I get that right, professor?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

beenthere

To add to ljohnsaw:
Here is a pic of red oak, showing the annual rings and the visible rays radiating from the pith outward.
You can see the lighter cells that actually are open early wood vessels that for red oak form a distinctive band, and later in the growing cycle they are smaller and tighter together.
The following spring, the tree begins growth again and those large earlywood cells grow first. So a growth ring will be visible by counting these bands of earlywood and latewood vessels.
The radiating rays are typical identifiers of oak.  As well, the earlywood vessels are open and you can blow through them. White oak you cannot, as these vessels are closed up with "tyloses".
Most every wood has a demarcation from one year to the next that can be used to count the growth years.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

Good explanations.

If  I could take it a step further... the variances in the widths in of the rings I assume, are based on things like rainfall that year and maybe sunshine the tree received? Or stress due to draught?

P.s.    BT,  you sure get a very detailed image with your scanner.      smiley_thumbsup
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Piston

Excellent question MrCaptainBob!  I'm learning a lot from this thread. 

I remember reading in one of my tree books, I believe it was "Reading the Forested Landscape" or something to that effect, that if you count the rings to get the age of the tree, and actually date them, you can figure out a lot of history.  For instance, if there is evidence of old logging in the area, and you notice that 18 growth rings in, all the rings went from really tight spacing, to really wide spacing, then you could most likely derive that the area was logged 18 years ago, and the canopy opened up to allow more sunlight and faster/greater growth from that tree. 

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Piston on October 23, 2013, 04:13:47 AM
Excellent question MrCaptainBob!  I'm learning a lot from this thread. 

I remember reading in one of my tree books, I believe it was "Reading the Forested Landscape" or something to that effect, that if you count the rings to get the age of the tree, and actually date them, you can figure out a lot of history.  For instance, if there is evidence of old logging in the area, and you notice that 18 growth rings in, all the rings went from really tight spacing, to really wide spacing, then you could most likely derive that the area was logged 18 years ago, and the canopy opened up to allow more sunlight and faster/greater growth from that tree.

Dendrochronology. Awhile back, a very old red spruce was discovered to be nearly 450 years old and not very big, set a record. The study was looking at changes in climate. I think there is as much art involved there as science, to tell ya the truth. An awfully lot of guesses, inferences and postulation. In that particular tree, many false rings were identified. A false ring will not be entire in circumference, it will run out. That can't be counted as a new year. But often indicates a weather induced second bud break in a year. Remember, climate is just 'average' weather. Give someone some money and they can write all kinds of reports. For some this is their job, to spend public money churning out reports. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Quote from: ljohnsaw on October 22, 2013, 11:48:06 PM
Every year, a new set is produced - the old xylem becomes the inner bark, the old phloem becomes the heart wood (which is dead).

Did I get that right, professor?

I am no Professor, but your xylem is the phloem and your phloem is your xylem  :).  Xylem is the wood and phloem is the bark.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Nothing to judge for size in your picture beenthere,but guessing some rings are an inch wide? Good growth if I'm right.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

;)
The thickness of this piece was scanned from a slice of board (an old 1 x 6" fence board that was green cut 1" thick) so the rings are roughly 16 to the inch.

"Xylem up" and "Phloem down" was the saying, if I recall.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ashes

WDH has this correct.

Xylem is wood and ultimately heartwood. Phloem is created and pushed outward creating bark.

Early wood is the lighter wood that is produced when the most water is being transported leading to larger vessels or less wood density. Late wood is the wood that is laid down when less water is moving through the xylem. This wood is denser.

Al_Smith

A few years ago because of wind damage I was forced to drop the largest oak on my property .A midwestern giant with a 4 foot girth 117 feet tall ,red oak .

I could count 273 rings but I'm sure I missed some .If a person only knew what the weather was like I'm certain it could be verified from those rings .It was all there if a person only knew how to read it .

Cedar Savage

Also they look at the pattern of rings, 10 wide, 2 thin, 3 wide, 1 thin, etc. Then you find that same pattern in other trees, or buried logs, or wood from a ship, or buildings. From there you can put an accurate date on how old the wood is.
"They fried the fish with bacon and were astonished, for no fish had ever seemed so delicious before."         Mark Twain

Thank You Sponsors!