iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine Tar Question

Started by Gideon_70, January 15, 2015, 09:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gideon_70

I have a LOT of pine that was given to me.  It's a combination if long leaf and loblolly.  Most of the logs are over 12", and many of them are pushing 22"  I love these logs, as they are almost all 16' long.

I cut the first day and saw that my blade was getting pretty pitchy, and I turned the mill off at the end of the day and went home.  The next day, lol, the blade was frozen solid in pitch.  Was NOT going to move. 

I have a crappy lube tank, and I added some cheap dollar store pine sol to the water, and it helped a lot, but the pitch is still building up over time.

Any ideas?  What do you guys do to keep it under control?
You cannot reduce crime by disarming the victims!

tmarch

I use diesel mixed with chainsaw bar oil.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Gasawyer

I use pinesol (1-2 cups to 5gal)mostly except for sawing heart pine then I use tide for cold water (2 cap fulls per 5gal). As a rule if it is building up more flow and run for 5-10 sec. after exit of log to clean off buildup. Some jobs use approx 5gal an hour worst case, normal pine sawing 5 gal every 1.5-2 hrs.

What are you running for a mill? Good luck!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

drobertson

sounds pitchy for sure, I've also tried the cheaper pin-sol, never to go back,  I hate to say this but will now,  a lil dose of simple green helps too, started it just a short time ago.   some of that pine will build up especially if it has sat for a short while. not sure if yours has or not.  I have a scrapper(an old skinning knife) ;D I run on the blade every so often just to keep the pitch honest.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

I like to let pitchy pine sit for a wile before milling, Ideally until the pitch on the end of the logs starts to turn white. For real pitchy logs you need petroleum, be it diesel or diesel and oil mix. I use clean drained ATF applied with a wick. Once a band is pitched up stop and scrape and wipe clean with solvent. For intermittent bouts with pitch use a spray can of stuff like WD-40 sprayed on often. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

kelLOGg

It is observations like you made that encouraged me to lube both sides of the blade. I use a diesel wipe. A Forestry Forum search on the subject will bring up a lot on the subject.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Joe Hillmann

Straight pine-sol or straight diesel.  Just a few drops after each cut should keep the blade clean.  If it is really bad you can let it drip as you are cutting.

Thank You Sponsors!