iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Argos 2015

Started by Puffergas, June 02, 2015, 11:54:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

It will take some time to upload the pictures from my phone but here's the start of the pictures.

Below is my good friend Mike relighting a flare for a fellow gasser.

Wood gasifier:

The ring of fire:

One more of the "ring of fire"

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mad murdock

Cool stuff ! Thanks for posting.  :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Puffergas

A pic of the trucks lined up:

One more:

More later.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

thecfarm

Who came the farthest away on thier own power?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Puffergas

Quote from: thecfarm on June 05, 2015, 06:27:40 AM

Good question. I don't know but I kind of recall something like 1800 miles. There was too much going on.... It just seems like a dream now. I'll see if I can find out.

Jeff
Jeff

Puffergas

A couple pictures of the returning parade:

And:

Ron, our host, is driving his tractor. This event would never happen without him. Thank you Ron!

More later,
Jeff
Jeff

Puffergas

Quote from: thecfarm on June 05, 2015, 06:27:40 AM

I got a few replies already:

Tom wrote:
"It was 630 miles one way for me. Used 800 lbs of wood and 30 gal of gasoline. I think I'm just a baby compared to the others. But still one of the cheapest educations I ever got"

Carl wrote:
"My odometer showed 813 one way. About 800 lbs. of wood, and 13 gal of gasoline for hybrid driving. The trip home was very similar."

Cheers,
Jeff
Jeff

roadhunter

Now that is really cool.  Looks like around 1 pound per mile.  Thanks for sharing.

thecfarm

I was kinda wondering the range on them things.  :)  And how much they trust them to travel far from home. Interesting.
Have wood,will travel.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Puffergas

Quote from: thecfarm on June 07, 2015, 07:29:41 AM
I was kinda wondering the range on them things.  :)  And how much they trust them to travel far from home. Interesting.
Have wood,will travel.  ;D

It depends on the size of the fuel hopper and the size of the vehicle. On an average 50 miles for a small hopper and about 120 miles for a larger one.

Reliability depends on the experiance of the  builder. Wayne drove across the country and earned the land speed record for wood gas. They can become very reliable but the operator is about 75% of the equation.

Jeff
Jeff

roadhunter

I never understood exactly how it worked until I made some biochar and watched the syngas burn.  Really cool that some folks make cars that run off wood. 

Puffergas

And now some wood chunkers.

This one was powered by an electric motor or a lawn mower with a homemade PTO. The mower was fueled with a charcoal and a wood gasifier, two different units:

photo #2:

photo #3:

photo #4:

photo #5:

photo #6:

Jeff
Jeff

r.man

Great pictures, thanks for taking the time. As to the reliability of the gasifier system, with a hybrid you can run on the standard fuel if the gasser has problems.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

r.man

Puffer, as to chunkers I think that this design would be be a good choice for someone with access to branchwood, either for a cook stove, a gasifier or charcoal maker.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzPZU1Q5-bY

r.man

This one is more of a firewood processor for stoves.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqxFK9uBJao

Puffergas

Quote from: r.man on June 09, 2015, 09:00:37 AM
This one is more of a firewood processor for stoves.

This one is amazing. Must have something like planer blades in it..

Jeff
Jeff

r.man

Odds are a Rebak machine would be like a torch with an igniter if one gets to Argos. One will be there one year and then  everyone will want one. The speed is phenomenal compared to a chunker although you do have to limit yourself to certain sizes of raw material.

Puffergas

Returning from the parade around town.

Charcoal area.

Some charcoal grinding going on here. Maybe I should say sizing charcoal.

Sterling engine.

Gary Gilmore's rig. Nice inverter alternator.

Time to hit the hay.....

Jeff
Jeff

Ljohnsaw

Gasser are pretty neat but I bet that tractor would get mighty uncomfortable in the summer time with that stove right next to you!

Wow, those chunkers are amazing!  Are they chunking green wood or dry?  It seems like green would be easier and would dry out pretty quick.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Puffergas

Quote from: ljohnsaw on June 13, 2015, 02:29:37 AM
Gasser are pretty neat but I bet that tractor would get mighty uncomfortable in the summer time with that stove right next to you!

Wow, those chunkers are amazing!  Are they chunking green wood or dry?  It seems like green would be easier and would dry out pretty quick.

I think your right about the green wood.

For sure it's not an A/C unit. However a gas producer is designed to make gas that gets burned inside an engine so if all the wood got burned up in that big tank, by the driver, there wouldn't be anything left over for the engine...    :)

So about 80% of the heat ends up in the engine.

Jeff
Jeff

gww

I am surprized I missed this thread till just now.  Building a gassifier is on my "to do" list to run a generator.  I have wanted to for about 5 years and have not did it yet but it hasn't droped off my "to do" list yet either.
Cool
gww

maple flats

I also have a gasifier in my future plans. I have much but not all of the necessary parts accumulated. I bought a 15,000 watt Generac that I hope to run with it. I have a fuel tube that is 8" diameter, hoping that is matched right to run the genny. I hope to build it in the next year or 2, my wife wants it built yesterday.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Puffergas

A few more pictures..

Later,

Jeff
Jeff

beenthere

Be great if you'd put some words to what you are showing us. Otherwise... just pics.

How about telling us a bit about what is going on in the pics... ?? pls.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Puffergas

Quote from: beenthere on June 24, 2015, 02:41:18 AM
Be great if you'd put some words to what you are showing us. Otherwise... just pics.

How about telling us a bit about what is going on in the pics... ?? pls.

Beenthere,

The top is Matt's gasifier called the Vulcan. It uses wood.

The green car uses wood. Not sure what the lawn tractor to the left of it runs on.

The red lawn tractor (gasifier on rear) uses charcoal for fuel and an interesting popcorn filter.

The bottom picture is a Wheel Horse garden tractor. Think it runs on wood but not sure.

Jeff
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!