iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Sawmill

Started by Kurban, November 21, 2015, 11:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kurban

Greetings to all,

I want to share couple of things with regards to my build in the hope that it might benefit somebody who is new to the task as I was.

First of all, I had never built anything of this magnitude before and was not certain how it would come out and am happy to report it has been a wonderful experience except for one accident that I will detail below...

I acquired three plans and due to its simplicity and solid build decided to go with Linn Lumber. The other was a very complicated build sold on ebay called the TX sawmill.

I must say that by personality I have never followed directions (cannot cook out of a cookbook!) so my build is based on Linn Lumber but with my measurements and modifications (detailed below). Another reason for this is because I wanted to minimize cost and use whatever I have accumulated in metal scrap etc.

There are several modifications to Linn Lumber design:

1) I have build my own track and log dogs.
2) I used a heavy duty compression spring to tension the blade. It is about 1/2" thick coil by 2" diameter and about 7" long.
3) I used a 3 phase gearmotor to raise the head. It is about 60 rpm and is appropriate speed for the 5 tpi acme rods. With a drum switch, it is a easy to raise and lower the head. I used a belt between the gearmotor pulley and the acme rod as slipping is preferred to breakage at the end.   
4) As a main motor I used a 10 HP 3 phase 1740 rpm motor.
5) As the roller guides I bought some flange bearings, and chucked them to my lathe and smoothed them and cut grooves in them.

I then built a log arch wide enough to drop the log onto the sawmill track. The sawmill has a removable axle just to move it around. When in use I remove the axle and level the sawmill.

I just uploaded some pictures into a gallery in case some of you want to see the end product.

About the minor accident: I am new to welding so when I was using the arc welder, the butt of the welding rod at the end fell into my boots and burned my heel so badly that it took 3 months to heal.

sandsawmill14

sounds like you have it figured out :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

muggs

Man that sounds painful. You have 3 phase power?    Bob

Kurban

I have a rotary phase converter rated at 20 HP that is handling it easily except for he 60 amp breaker that occasionally trips.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kurban on November 21, 2015, 01:09:21 PM
I have a rotary phase converter rated at 20 HP that is handling it easily except for he 60 amp breaker that occasionally trips.
My 20hp converter take a 100 amp breaker...
Are you sure thats not what you need ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kurban

The literature I followed recommends a minimum single phase breaker of 50 amps and a maximum of 75 amps for the 20 HP 15 KW RPC. So I went with something that is in between. Another thing is that it is very hard to find electrical supplies for 100 amp line (breaker and wires). If I end up using the mill more often, I would have to upgrade to a minimum  of 75 amp breaker.
Sal.

beenthere

Kurban
Click your forum name and it will take you to where you can update your profile with your location. Will help to respond to your discussions.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kbeitz

Quote from: Kurban on November 21, 2015, 09:14:03 PM
The literature I followed recommends a minimum single phase breaker of 50 amps and a maximum of 75 amps for the 20 HP 15 KW RPC. So I went with something that is in between. Another thing is that it is very hard to find electrical supplies for 100 amp line (breaker and wires). If I end up using the mill more often, I would have to upgrade to a minimum  of 75 amp breaker.
Sal.

Out of my instructions.

This is for a different unit off the internet.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Don_Papenburg

My 50 hp air compressor recommends 200amp breaker and 4/0 wire.  Going to a larger wire will help some with out the restriction of power. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Thank You Sponsors!