iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Service Tax

Started by ncsawyer, January 21, 2016, 05:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncsawyer

NC has implemented a tax on services effective March 1st.  Thankfully it is only repair, maintenance, and installation, so it does not affect me yet.  But I can see where they might expand the list of taxable services in the future where I could find myself having to collect sales tax on my milling services. 

Are there any states out there now that collect sales tax on milling services?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

terrifictimbersllc

State doesn't collect sales tax, the vendor does.  In CT, RI, NY the sale of the service of sawing lumber for customers from their logs, is subject to sales tax.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,55938.msg809496.html#msg809496

Your state may allow exemptions from paying the sales tax for certain customers.  The ones I am familiar with require the customer to give the vendor (sawyer) the proper form.  One instance is the sale of services to another business which sells a product on which this business collects sales tax.  In CT this form is called sales for business resale.  Another is a farm permit which alleviates payment of sales tax on the sawing of lumber that is used to build a new farm building or expand the footprint of existing construction.   In both cases the sawyer would not charge sales tax to the customer.   Having the proper form in possession, if such was used properly,  alleviates the sawyer of the responsibility of owing the sales tax to the state.

In all of the above we are talking about sale of a service (e.g., sawing), not sale of goods (e.g. lumber).

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ncsawyer

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on January 21, 2016, 06:07:10 PM
State doesn't collect sales tax, the vendor does.  In CT, RI, NY the sale of the service of sawing lumber for customers from their logs, is subject to sales tax.

It works the same here in NC where the burden of collecting sales tax falls on the vender.  However, I think the vender is compensated slightly.  If the sales tax is 6.75% the vender only has to send in 5.75% allowing them to keep 1% for their trouble.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: ncsawyer on January 21, 2016, 06:15:20 PM

It works the same here in NC where the burden of collecting sales tax falls on the vender.  However, I think the vender is compensated slightly.  If the sales tax is 6.75% the vender only has to send in 5.75% allowing them to keep 1% for their trouble.
Yes that's how NY does it.  Not CT or RI (presently anyway).
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WV Sawmiller

WV already taxes sawing services. I investigated this last year before I ever got my mill and started my business. I confirmed I have to collect sales tax on every sawing job I do. I first thought since was a service I could avoid it but the tax people were real clear from day one.

Good luck in NC. Politicians are looking for money everywhere they can get it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

ncsawyer

Do you have report and pay the sales tax quarterly?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

Tom the Sawyer

Kansas requires sales tax, at the local prevailing rate, on milling services.  Vendor collects the tax and reports periodically.  Due dates vary by the size of your account.  I am on the quarterly plan.  Large businesses may be paying monthly, in advance. 

Cutting or pruning trees, or mowing grass, is not taxable because trees and grass are considered to be "real" property.  Once severed, they are considered "tangible, personal property" and anything done to them is taxable.  Milling lumber, splitting firewood, raking grass - all taxable. Spraying a field is not taxable, the cost of the chemicals is taxed.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Magicman

Oh the web that we weave.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: ncsawyer on January 21, 2016, 06:58:31 PM
Do you have report and pay the sales tax quarterly?

I report and pay WV Sales tax monthly. My wife has a photo business and only sends hers in annually. I guess it is based on the estimated income we each reported when we applied for our WV business licenses.

Oh btw, we do not get any compensation for collecting and reporting WV sales tax. I collect, report and pay 6%. Some of my clients are farmers and have a tax exemption number and if lumber sawed is for their use on their farm they do not have to pay sales tax. I just get a copy of their tax exemption number and keep it on file with their invoice/payment record.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jmouton

exactly    ,,, magicman

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Chuck White

smiley_curtain_peek  :-X
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

Yup, the tax man and the devil share the same address
Boy, back in my day..

starmac

No taxes here state or sales, except property. Some towns do have a sales tax, and some towns don't even have property taxes.
When I lived in New Mexico EVERY penny that changed hands was taxed, it really didn't matter what it was for.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Cedarman

Quote from: ncsawyer on January 21, 2016, 06:15:20 PM

In Indiana we get .73% of the sales tax collected as payment for our efforts.  If I collect $100.00 in sales tax, I get 73 cents. I would guess in NC it is the same, you get 1% of the sales tax not 1% of the sale.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

terrifictimbersllc

Pretty sure NY is 5% of the collected sales tax, up to $200 maximum.   It's called a vendor collection credit.

Percy

Quote from: Cedarman on January 22, 2016, 07:41:19 AM

In Indiana we get .73% of the sales tax collected as payment for our efforts.  If I collect $100.00 in sales tax, I get 73 cents. I would guess in NC it is the same, you get 1% of the sales tax not 1% of the sale.
Whatcha gonna do with it all?? :D:D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Cedarman

Quote from: Percy on January 22, 2016, 10:44:39 AM
Quote from: Cedarman on January 22, 2016, 07:41:19 AM

Whatcha gonna do with it all?? :D:D
Wait a couple months and buy a cup of coffee. :D :D
I might have to declare it as income and pay fed , state and local tax.  So might take 5 months to get my coffee
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!