iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

vegetable oil for bar oil ???

Started by sandsawmill14, May 04, 2016, 07:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawhereJoe

Holmentree, are you just using straight up canola oil or are you using the canola based bar and chain oil?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

DelawhereJoe

Like right off the grocery store shelf, canola oil...?

HolmenTree

Yep right off the grocery store shelf Joe
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Canadiana

A good friend works for an environmental disaster clean up company. For petroleum spills in dirt, dirt is moved to company property and routinely turned over until it is tested safe to be released. I am not a qualified professional on the subject. This company is a major one.
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Ianab

Yes, regular oil will be broken down by microbes in the soil and oxygen etc, over time.

This is why a TINY bit of bar oil mixed into the sawdust and chips you leave in the forest isn't really a problem. It's going to break down in a similar way to the sawdust itself. The amount matters of course. A large puddle of oil (or a big heap of chips) might take years or even decades. But by the time the wood has rotted, so has the oil.

Of course vegetable oil oxidizes and breaks down even faster, and is pretty much non-toxic, so it has it's uses.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

This polution business has taken an interesting turn,more so I think for the popularity of the subject than any facts .Al Gores' theory of grazing animals are breaking down the 0zone layer is just plain  nonsense .Imagine that cow farts ruining the planet,bullocks.

Like everything else they just go nuts .EPA mandated things like non adjustable carbs and the like on small engines.Chainsaw oilers that just barely oil the chain.Ethanol laced gasoline ,made from corn of all things. More so a method for Central Soya, Monsanto ,John Deere to make more money but not really solving a problem as if there were one to begin with .

On the bright side in the 60's you couldn't buy a car that got 30 miles to the gallon unless it was a VW .Then again gasoline was 27 cents a gallon but the average wage was 2 bucks an hour .

So salad oil for lube is just an option for those who would care to try it  .They also make a water based lube which I assume is just water with a thickening agent .Industrial KY jelly in some respects .I doubt it would work in a cold climate ,turns into ice ,hard water in a true form .

sandsawmill14

my opinion of al gore would get me sent to the wood shed or worse >:( >:( >:(
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Al_Smith

:D Woodshed,aye .Poor old Al, seems some guy ,Chad I believe in Florida just hung around too long and cost him the election .It was toss up anyway .However at a later time he managed to win the Nobel prize in spite of that blarney .Tipper set off to find greener pastures perhaps devoid of bovine flactulations .

Of course all this blarney has nothing to do with salad oil .On same though I spied a field of yellow topped plants of late .Probably 40 acres or more within two miles of me .I had no idea that stuff was planted here in the giant corn field of the midwest .Too many yellow plants I would think to be some sort of weed .

49er

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 07, 2016, 06:50:02 AM
This polution business has taken an interesting turn,more so I think for the popularity of the subject than any facts .Al Gores' theory of grazing animals are breaking down the 0zone layer is just plain  nonsense .Imagine that cow farts ruining the planet,bullocks.
Yes, methane gas is polluting the planet. If that is true then when we shot all those millions of Buffalo, back in the eighteen hundreds, we stopped an ecological disaster. Correct? ::)
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

I was reading during WWII rapeseed oil was used by machinists as it was superior to sticking to wet steel or something like that.
Then the Canadians took the high acid out of the oil which made it edible for human consumption.

Gearbox

I your saw sticky . Any veggie oil I have used for other uses turned to a sticky goo then dried hard . I would think if the saw sat for a month the chain would be stuck in the bar .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

49er

Quote from: Gearbox on May 07, 2016, 10:52:28 AM
I your saw sticky . Any veggie oil I have used for other uses turned to a sticky goo then dried hard . I would think if the saw sat for a month the chain would be stuck in the bar .
Imagine what it does inside your body. Flax seed oil makes a dandy wood finish.
I cook with coconut oil myself.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

HolmenTree

No the pure canola I use doesn't have a sticky problem, only if left to sit for a long time on metal in the open
Like I said if you use you saw regularly use it if not use regular petroleum bar oil.

I hear alot about veggie oil used in saws and I wonder what kind of oil it really is.
I hear some use old discarded deep fryer oil , imagine the crap that would contain and putting that into your saw.

Al_Smith

Some have reused old cooking  oil for biodiesel I'm told .The down side if  used fry fish is it emits odor like French fried fish .Kentucky fried chicken might be a better option perhaps .---ya know this bar oil thing has grown legs about like the oil wars --- 8)

sandsawmill14

drying out and being sticky is the luck i've had too but that wouldnt be a problem with my saw  :) theres not 3 days a month mine is not run at last a few minutes ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 07, 2016, 11:44:26 AM
Some have reused old cooking  oil for biodiesel I'm told .
I'm sure it is possible  as you'd need a multi million dollar operation to do that to make it profitable .
But we're getting a little off topic about someone straining that used fryer oil through a sieve ..

Al_Smith

Oh it's only slightly bent off course  ;D .On the subject though what about straining old fryer oil through those home made filters made of toilet paper rolls some have strained used crankcase oil through .Oil is oil and that would be an option for the "super" recyclers .Now I'm not going to do it but somebody might run with it .

A ten foot section of 4" pvc pipe,4-5 paper rolls and three days for it to dribble through the filters . Not counting cost of the filter the oil in essence would be free .You can't get it any cheaper than that .

HolmenTree

Still don't know if that would get the high acids out of the oil though.  I'm no expert on the subject but I think high acid content in bar oil would cause more oxidation and corrosive problems.

Ada Shaker

Just wondering how the viscosity of canola or other oils affect the sharpening process of the chain, does it just slip'n'slide?.
On a lighter note, I've heard of some that have used spent engine oil to lube, but seriously don't know how effective this would be....
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: 49er on May 06, 2016, 09:28:26 AM
  I have never tried veggie oil or canola oil as bar oil, however, I think that is a better purpose for it than as a food. Have ya ever tried to get splattered veggie oil off a range hood? Next to impossible. I hear they use Benzine to separate the oil from the veggie and Benzine is bad stuff.
  I think I'll give some a try in my saw.

When I was younger the old man had a restaurant. We used to clean the coffee machine, fridges, bar, ice maker, anything made from stainless steel with gin. Mind you, gin in those days and where I was located at the time was pretty cheap (about 2-3 bucks a bottle). However, metho works just as well, and mixed with water 50/50 works great as a glass cleaner and is the only thing I ever used to clean tinted windows on my vehicle.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 07, 2016, 06:50:02 AM

Like everything else they just go nuts .EPA mandated things like non adjustable carbs and the like on small engines.Chainsaw oilers that just barely oil the chain.Ethanol laced gasoline ,made from corn of all things. More so a method for Central Soya, Monsanto ,John Deere to make more money but not really solving a problem as if there were one to begin with .

On the bright side in the 60's you couldn't buy a car that got 30 miles to the gallon unless it was a VW .Then again gasoline was 27 cents a gallon but the average wage was 2 bucks an hour .

So salad oil for lube is just an option for those who would care to try it  .They also make a water based lube which I assume is just water with a thickening agent .Industrial KY jelly in some respects .I doubt it would work in a cold climate ,turns into ice ,hard water in a true form .

Why Not, Dinosaur farts ruined the planet millions of years ago, it's just taken millions of years for it to recover. :D
                             AND

Al_Smith

The subject of flatulation could grow legs I suppose .They claim termites are the worst offenders .Perhaps we need more ardvarks .Al Gore ,where fore art thou when we need you? This is serious business . 8)

Al_Smith

Okay enough feeble attempt at humor at o-dark thirty in the morning .

This recycled veggie oil business ,I read just yesterday about recycling fryer oil .They use scraps of old blue jeans for filtration .They claim it does a pretty fair job however no method found by experimenters can rid the stuff of smelling like a fish if used for that .

red

French Fry oil has been used on scuba driving boats for 20 years
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

DelawhereJoe

And thats why divers get attacked by sharks so often....

Thank You Sponsors!