iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

40 acres of Post Logging Clean Up

Started by SkidrowJoe, December 23, 2017, 05:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkidrowJoe

I have a client that has had 40 acres clear cut, with the end intent to become an orchard.  The site is now mainly tree tops and smaller (<14" diameter) logs.  We are tasked with cleaning up the debris, and are looking for advise on machinery to employ.  I was thinking a tub grinder and forwarder.  But Im open to any insight, we are mainly a tree service.  Our client is very trusting of our operation, even though I told him to hire someone more versed in this work.  I would even work in tandem with someone in the area, Charlottesville, VA.

Thank you in advance!
The stumps of today are the ceilings of tomorrow.

Skeans1

Stump removal required too? Out here a lot of guys use shovels with inserts or power clams for brush clean up some also have pin on or brush blades setup for cats.

D2 Cody

What about a dozer even if it is a 6 or smaller with a flip up rake and ripper to grub out roots. Could also have a track hoe there working in tandem to dig stumps out and also have a rake attachment and thumb for hoe to help pile. Once the rakes go through you could take a blade and windrow the left over small stuff and use a scraper or loader to move and bury it.
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

nativewolf

SkidderJoe, I'd get to work with someone that has a mulcher or soil stabilizer.  If they want to really go to orchard than they will want to remove all stumps but not loose the topsoil.  I can post some pictures of our fae soil stabilizer on our Case7130 but it would have to after Christmas.  That would work but it is not fast or cheap.

A mulcher will be faster but you won't get all the stumps out.  Avoid dozers at all costs, that is not what you want in my opinion.

What type of orchard?

How many rocks?

Normally around Charlottesville you'd see grapes but I guess there are some cider distilleries round there too.

Send a PM if you want to discuss, it is  topic second only to walnut in my attention/priority
Liking Walnut

landscraper

I owned/operated a horizontal and then a tub grinder in Central VA for 10 years but eventually got out of it, too much headache, not enough good help.  If you are going to do the grubbing yourself and just need a grinder you could try: C.W. Hurt Contractors (Vermeer tub), Lowe's Recycling Inc. (Bandit horizontal).  Tapscott Bros. has (or had) a tracked horizontal grinder.  All 3 of those guys are in/around Charlottesville.   Eastern Clearing in Bealeton (Fauquier) could do the entire job if you wanted to hire it out turnkey, they have all the equipment needed. I've been doing work like that for 25+ years, if it was me I would take a couple excavators in to stump and stack, bring the grinder to the piles, windrow the mulch and let it compost for a few years then screen the fines out of it.  Don't lose your topsoil in the clearing process, it's generally pretty thin to begin with around here and you'll never get it back.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Thank You Sponsors!