iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Research into Hydrogen Storage

Started by SwampDonkey, March 09, 2007, 06:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Breakthrough in the safe storage of hydrogen for on demand uses

"The challenge is to find a safer, more efficient and economical way to store hydrogen so that it can be released on demand," explained chemist Sean McGrady, the lead researcher on the project. "The way to do this is to turn hydrogen into a compound — a solid — so you can use it when you want, safely, in the amount you want."
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Wenrich

That's almost old technology.  Stan Ovshinsky already has a system to store hydrogen as a solid and has been testing hybrid cars using this technology. 

http://www.ovonic-hydrogen.com/home/home.htm
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Ron it seems you are right. Or it's a very similar technology. Unless there is something unique that I'm not reading.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treebucker

Hum, seems I saw one a few years ago that was quite different. It used boron. The boron combined with the volatile hydrogen (in the tank of the vehicle) and was rendered into an inert compound. When the fuel cell needed hydrogen the compond was broken back apart using a catalyst. The hydrogen fed into the fuel cell and the boron sent back to be reused. The process extracted the amount demanded on a continous basis so the only on-board hydrogen was in the lines feeding from the converter into the fuel cell. They showed a car that was equiped with a working prototype. They were very confident in its cost and practicability. I never did hear any more about it after that.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

dboyt

You can easily make hydrogen easier to store by combining it with carbon.  The process can yield anything from simple (methane) to complex (propane, alcohols).  My question is, what advantage does hydrogen have over batteries?  When you come down to it, hydrogen is simply a means of storing the electircal energy it took to break apart water.  Seems like we're being told to be patient and wait for hydrogen technology, when viable solutions are right under our nose.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Modat22

I've read that halides are great for storing hydrogen. You pump hydrogen into canisters containing halides at a cool temperature and it gets absorbed by a crazy extent at no pressure. When you need the hydrogen you switch on a heater to heat the halides and the hydrogen is released at a pressure. When the heat is removed the pressurized hydrogen is reabsorbed. Problem is halides don't like oxygen or CO2, as more O2 contamination occurs the halides loose the ability to absorb hydrogen.
remember man that thy are dust.

Thank You Sponsors!