iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

controlling weeds and grass

Started by Barney II, June 13, 2013, 07:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney II

What is everyone using to kill weeds and grass, other than gravel, around a new and temporary site.  It is too much of a hassle to move everything and mow or even weed whip. ::) ???
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

thecfarm

How much of an area you killing?  :D  I use Big N Tuff from Tractor Supply. I brought back some of The Farm and a stone wall was covered in poison ivy. That stuff killed it. I also use it on the edge of the woods and my walkways around the house. Even kills cat and nine tails in the bog. Comes in gallon and 2½ gallons that I know of. The 2½ is $35 on sale,45 if not. Round Up just got to expensive for me. This stuff seems to work as well. Been using it 2-3 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BBTom

Big N Tuf is a generic Glyphosate (RoundUp).  I believe Crossbow is another. I go to the farm store and ask for the least expensive 41% Glyphosate they have.  If you add some Imazapyr in the mix, the weeds will not grow back as soon.  I have become a big fan of the mixture for under fencelines, around buildings and anyplace else I want long lasting control.  If you just want to do a small spot, you can get the extended control roundup in the big box store, which is the same mixture.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

thecfarm

Imazapyr,what is that stuff? Where do you buy it and mix it?  Always looking for something better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

When I have something that I want to "stay dead" I use Arsenal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BBTom

Imazapyr, is marketed in compounds by the trade names Chopper, Arsenal, and Assault and others, I try to ask for the active ingredient so I am not paying for the "name". Imazapyr is a non-selective broad-spectrum herbicide.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Claybraker

+1 on the Glyphosate Imazapyr tank mix. Glyph gives rapid brown up, Imazapyr keeps most stuff from growing back for a couple of years. That can be good and bad, depending on how temporary your site is. Another caution with Imazapyr, it's soil active and persistent, so there is the danger of harming nearby vegetation, except for conifers. Darned handy for killing Sweetgum.

dGarnier

Glyphosate and 24d with some ammonia sulfate will do a number on anything green.  Frens are about the only thing that come back.
love being in the woods with a gun or a chainsaw

NCDiesel

Quote from: BBTom on June 13, 2013, 08:21:11 AM
Big N Tuf is a generic Glyphosate (RoundUp).  I believe Crossbow is another. I go to the farm store and ask for the least expensive 41% Glyphosate they have.  If you add some Imazapyr in the mix, the weeds will not grow back as soon.  I have become a big fan of the mixture for under fencelines, around buildings and anyplace else I want long lasting control.  If you just want to do a small spot, you can get the extended control roundup in the big box store, which is the same mixture.

Crossbow is a triclopyr mixed with something else - 2-4-d I think.  Great for pasture weeds because it killls just about anything except grass and there are no restrictions on grazing except lactating/dairy animals.  I use it on my hay fields

So Crossbow might be good for the grassy areas around your sawmill but can't use it when you have a scorched earth policy in mind.  tank-smiley
NCDiesel
Cooks MP-32, 2016 Ram 1500, 6K Kaufman Equip. Trailer, 1995 Bobcat 753 skidsteer 1958 Ford 861 Diesel,
Youth Conservation Corps, Clayton Ranger District, 1977.
I worked sawmills as a teenager and one fall morning I came to work and smelled walnut cutting.  I have loved sawmills ever sinc

BBTom

Sorry, you are right on the Crossbow, I got my chems mixed up, I meant to say Cornerstone. They both started with the right letter, and my CRS disease kicked in after the first letter.

Can't
Remember
Shi# oops!  Stuff

bill m

There are 7 different enzymes plants use for growing. Not all plants use the same ones and Glyphosate does not affect all of them. Imazapyr affects some that Glyphosate does not. By mixing Glyphosate with Imazapyr you get almost a 99% chance of killing what you are trying to eliminate.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Brucer

Quote from: Barney II on June 13, 2013, 07:58:40 AM
What is everyone using to kill weeds and grass, other than gravel, around a new and temporary site.

I use sawdust :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

dblair

I get a product called Quick Kill at Agri supply. a quart is about 12 bucks and it mixes a couple oz to the gallon .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

beenthere

Quote from: dblair on June 14, 2013, 07:37:32 AM
I get a product called Quick Kill at Agri supply. a quart is about 12 bucks and it mixes a couple oz to the gallon .

QuoteTiger Brand ® Quickkill Herbicide, 41% Glyphosate
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ancjr

I'd scalp it, put down wood chips and spray the inevitable patches of weeds with glyphosate.  If you just kill the weeds with no ground cover, you'll make a hog wallow.  :)

Barney II

Hey this is great, I should be weed and grass free in no time.  Now all I have to do is black top the front yard and paint it green---just for effect :D :D :D :D :D :D    Thank you to everyone, now I will have time to mill-----Don
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Thank You Sponsors!