iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw?

Started by Jeff, May 11, 2002, 06:10:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Have you guys ever seen one of these? I thought it was pretty unique. The blade is almost 50 inches long.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Where do you find this stuff?? Any engraving on it? :P
~Ron

Jeff

I will let you know when I get it. Its coming by mail this week. I bought it on a yahoo auction. Aint it cool? I hope it's still sharp 'cause if it is, between that and my craftsman tractor I am going loggin!  Its got two handles Ron... ;)

Corley5

That is  8).  I've never seen anything like it
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

It says it has surface rust. I plan on trying it out if its in good enough condition. I figure if I saw through a log or two, it will clean up the rust and then I can oil it to keep it that way. If it works, of course it will become sawmill in action material ;D

Jeff

Must be raining up there to eh Greg?

Corley5

No rain yet.  It's been looking like it's going to for the past couple hours but hasn't.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kevin

How many pulls does it take to start that thing and does it have sights?  :D

Tom

Kevin,

Reminds me of the old joke of the pulpwooder who was talked into trading his two man buck saw for a chainsaw with the promise that it would triple his production.  At the end of the week he demanded his old saw back, the new one wouldn't work.  The salesman cranked it with one pull and the pulpwooder jumped back, hollering, "what's that noise!"?

Paul_H

Carefull not to fall a tree with it as a one man saw. ;)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Tarm

Tom
I got a story that will top that joke.
Harold and David where cutting up tree tops for fire wood. David would notice that Harold would some times dip the tip of his saw into the dirt when lopping off knee high branches. Finally unable to control himself further David said, "Harold you've got to stop hitting the ground with your sawtip, you're dulling the chain." Harold replied, without batting an eye, "it dosen't matter, I don't cut with that part of the bar anyways."
Honest to god guys, a true story.

Jeff

I recieved the saw today. It is marked  
Disston
U.S.A

Stacy and I went out and tried to cut a log, But it would need a sharpening job to complete a cut. It did cut and I think it would work pretty good if sharp.

woodman

Thats younger than i am it should work fine.
Jim Cripanuk

Frank_Pender

It is older than I am. :D Perhaps that is why it is not so  sharp.sharp.   :'(
Frank Pender

Texas Ranger

Jeff, I would almost bet that it was made for the Engineers in the military.  Has all the look of a device to use man power where no other form was available.  Date is right, as well.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

DanG

I'll bet you're right, Don. That would be a lot easier to pack around than a rigid, 2-man saw.  A couple of hefty sojers wouldn't have much trouble running it, if somebody was shootin' at them. :o
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Somebody shootin' at me and I'd let them run it. ::)

L. Wakefield

You'd let them run it- I'd just run  :D :D :D  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

sawman

Looks like you can wrap it around the tree, and cut a 360 all at one time. No more notching.

Maybe it's like that new adjustable wrench. It's Metric one one side, and American standard on the other. Just flip it over.

Used by the Corps for cutting trees all over the world.

'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

Tom

:P What do you do when you have cut a tree 360 degrees all the way through, Push and run?? :D

L. Wakefield

No no no- see- it's that hot-air bloon you start filling in the wee hours of the morning. You guy it off to the tree top- then you start to sawing. You know she's just-about-done- when she starts to creak and the kerf begins to widen all around. Then- with a mighty CRACK off she goes, into the wild blue yonder.

Oh, BTW, don't forget to give the guy in the balloon directions for where you want to set that puppy down, unless your sending logs to OZ. Bear in mind he will have to deal with prevailing winds. You say you forgot the guy? The ballon is-er- unmanned?  Byby, log. Don't forget to write.
   lw

L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

I have a video clip of hot air balloon logging on a video I have called "Logs on the move".

woodman

Jim Cripanuk

Ron Scott

I note that the Forum Poll indicated Stihl and Husqvarna chainsaws as still number 1 & 2 by chainsaw users.
~Ron

jindie

I hope you guys are teasing about really using this "chainsaw".  I can just see it on the Antique Roadshow worth $1000 (or more)...It's a neat whatever it is  :D

Thank You Sponsors!