iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How should I mill car siding in the Upper Midwest?

Started by Small Slick, March 26, 2014, 12:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Slick

Two questions really; how wide and thick and what species? 

I acquired some rough sawn hardwoods that is random dimensions. I plan on using it to make tongue and groove car siding paneling. It is a variety of species and that is the way I plan to instal it; random no pattern.  I'm thinking of ripping it into three widths to continue the randomness; also maybe less waste.

What size should I rip them to previous to kilning and planing?

I also don't have enough lumber to complete the project. So for us in WI, MN, MI and similar. What are your suggestions for species I should use and ones I should avoid?  How thick should I saw the boards?  I'm hoping to work with a log buyer to purchase a mixed load.

John

Small Slick

Red Good

I have no idea , but curious what is car siding ? Good luck . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Brad_S.

I don't understand the question either.

When you say car siding, it brings to mind a job I did for a railroad restoration group. That is the only time I've ever heard of something called "car siding".
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

It's T@G with a cove cut on the tongue side, used a lot in years past.  type in car siding on your search .   I think they used pine quite a bit for it.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Barney II

From some years past---but not too many :D   Car siding according to the white pine profile chart is 1x8, tounge and grooved, 3/4 thick, with a v groove going the length of the board and is generally pine.  The groove would be down the center of the board to imitate a 4 inch board.  It was originally intended to represent the siding that would be on the old style box cars.  It can be used outside as well as inside.  It is still sold and is or can be a favorite for inside paneling.  Anything not of the above configuration would probably not  be considered "car siding"  I have  sold many miles of this over the years.
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Chuck White

Hmmm, learn something new every day on here!

Thanks for the clarification!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LittleJohn

I personally would stay away from "varying" widths, its hard enough to find pieces to fit/piece together when everything in the same width.

In regards to mixing species, I don't think its a problem as long as you can spread the species around to get some variety of color and grain. *** and the WIFE APPROVES

jwilly3879

Around here that would be center bead T+G or sometimes called center bead v-groove T+G, the back side is flat, no V or bead. I used it a lot for porch ceilings or wainscoting.

red oaks lumber

what john means by carsiding, out east they call it v-match midwest its refered to v-groove paneling
the profile name is wp4  the slang term carsiding is actual 1x8 with a v in the center as well.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

BackwoodsUSA

Small Slick -- I'm in northern Wisconsin (Florence) ... my cabin walls are all t&g car siding ... combo of red and jack pine, finish milled to 3/4" thick ... as far as species, any of our pines (white, red, jack), spruce (white, black), and fir (balsam) will give you that knotty pine look ... tamarack is more of a reddish wood  ... avoid Hemlock, you'll get some splitting along growth rings, plus they don't regenerate well due to deer browsing ... although considered a hardwood, aspen (quacking, big tooth) will give you a whitish and smooth grain, almost like hard maple ... i avoid the "hard" hardwoods (oak, maple, cherry, birch) for car siding as you'll have a hard time with the nail gun, or you'll be pre-drilling lots of small holes.

Small Slick

Car siding must be a regional descriptor.  I did some asking around my work and most people know what is meant by car siding.  I did a little research on the Web and there is a connection to rail road box cars, hence the name.  This reminds me of when I worked construction on the West Coast; I called things by a name and then was asked "what the heck are you talking about?!?!". ??? ???

Red Oaks Lumber is right with the description and I am sure he is right about the blade profile as well.

Will I have trouble shooting a 16 gauge air nail through the tongue on paneling like this made of hardwoods?

John

m wood

All I was picuring was an old Plymouth or maybe a Jeep Woody with a surfboard sticking out the back :D.  Shows ya what I know ::)
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

red oaks lumber

john
install will not be an issue, you may need to adjust your air pressure slightly, otherwise its nice to install
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!