iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 460 scored jug and piston

Started by Randy88, July 02, 2016, 06:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy88

Thanks for all the replies, we try not to run the saws completely out of gas, mainly because they take more pulls to get them back running, that and I hate being part way through a cut and run out of gas, the chain usually needs to be tightened before we run out gas, so we just hand off the saw and someone is always fueling and adjusting the chain on the saw, anytime a saw is handed off, it always gets fuel and oil anyhow.     

If I know they are going to sit for a long period of time, I wait till I'm home and the saw is cooled off and I dump the last of the gas out, start them up and let them idle empty is my usual method of doing it.   

ZeroJunk

Couple of thoughts. That saw has limiters on the carb and unless the mechanic has moved them the saw could be on the edge of being too lean even all the way CCW against the limiter. And, it is really hard to tune a saw unless you have made a few cuts to get any excess fuel out of the crankcase and everything up to operating temperature. If you start the saw and put a tack on it the saw will lean out quite a bit from that point when you start using it. Now, you can tune it several hundred PRM low to allow for that. But, if a man tunes it cold close to max no load RPM it will not be in tune when you start using it.

Texas-Jim

Randy88 I'm not a big fan of running a two stroke out of fuel as a storage idea. Yes I know most manufactures recommend that including Stihl. I look at it this way, when you run out of gas you run out of oil. Then restarting it theres very little oil in the crankcase when it fires up. Remember these things dont idle at 6 or 7 hundred RPM, they idle up around 2500 depending on the engine. I could be wrong but I just dont want my saw without oil when its running that fast.

I store mine using Stils moto mix, i dont run the stuff because its 8 bucks a quart but at end of season i do drain fuel and replace it with moto mix, start it and run it till moto mix is in carb. Main reason is theres no ethynol in it and it has a stabilizer in it and shelf life is high enough it will start right up next year every time.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

farmguy

Sthil brand oil has fuel stabilizer in it allready

Thank You Sponsors!