iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

homemade skidder Pictures Added!!!!!!!!!

Started by timberfaller390, April 01, 2008, 01:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsrunner

Those old military vehicles sure are cool.  :) But, if you don't have the knack for keeping them running they can be very frustrating. ;) And expensive :o Don't ask me how I know. :( Check out this link www.easternsurplus.net   . They have some nice trucks. Take a look at what they call their "mudders". Definitely some potential there for "our' kind of use.

timberfaller390

The more I look at those old deuce and a halfs the more I think "theres my next log truck"
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

zackman1801

they would make beastly trucks to go down logging roads with but as far as making them drivable on roads to deliver to mills would be hard. they get such poor gas mileage that its going to cost tons of money to get them to a mill.
plus some kind of steering assistance is going to be needed because most (if any) arent power steered.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

timberfaller390

as for mileage my current rig sucks the gas so they can't be much worse and as for steering the one I have now has armstrong steering so that wouldn't be any different.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

twobears

the first log loader i ran was mounted on a army truck.the only good thing about it was it never got stuck on the landing it wasn,t made for going down the road tho.
one spring we had it towed to a new job.it popped it gear at 55 mph and busted the bellhousing.we couldn,t find a new one asap so,we had the loader mounted on a old mack truck it was like running a new loader and it was fun to take it on the road.
i do think a guy could make a decent log skidder out of one.i,de use two rear ends,the transfer case,two transmissions hooked up inline and i,de get the kits to move the brakes on to the pinon.

Thank You Sponsors!