iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone drying wood in southeast Missouri?

Started by slanted6, April 28, 2021, 11:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slanted6

Getting ready to saw wood for bed of my son's pickup. Wondering if there is anyone drying wood in the southeast Missouri area.

firefighter ontheside

If you're looking for a kiln for green lumber, I can't do that.  I'm located about 35 miles south of Stl.  My kiln is only for already air dried lumber.  Wood for  a truck bed doesn't need to be dried more than about 15% in MO.  You can do that just air drying, but it will take a year or so.  You could speed that up by bringing the wood inside with a fan.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Texas Ranger

Solar kilns cheap and effective, mostly wood frame, fans, and plastic sheeting.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

boardmaker

I'm not sure if I can help, but I may be able to point you in a direction.
First, where are you actually at?
What species of wood and thickness?
Any idea of how much bd footage?  If it's just for a pickup bed, that's not a huge amount.

Like firefighter ontheside said, you might be able to do this without a kiln.

slanted6

Boardmaker: Not far from Cape Girardeau. Son is undecided on species at this time. Most likely oak. 5/4 x 8" wide x 8' long. I calculate 66.67 board feet. Meant to reply sooner but had to find my notes. Thanks.

boardmaker

Like has been said before, most guys air dry for several months up to a year before putting it in a kiln.  
Are you able to do that?
You could put it in you basement or garage on stickers.  After a few months, put a fan on it.  It will dry fairly quick but you won't be able to sterilize it or get it down to 6-7%.

What is your timeline until you need it? 
Is this for a utility truck bed?  Or is it for a show truck with a wooden bed?

I don't know of any smaller kilns around here.  There's quite a few very large sawmills that have them but not many smaller mom and pops.  I'm also not sure if any of the large mills would do an order that size.  If you want to try to call them, let me know.

If it's for a utility bed, I'm not sure I'd even dry it.

slanted6

Thanks for the reply once again. It is for show. 

btulloh

You can buy enough kd white oak for a truckbed for pretty short money. 
HM126

slanted6

I agree with you, btulloh. Sentimental reasons for doing this. Wood would come from my dad's property which has been in the family for over 100 years. At almost 89, dad is still sawing lumber and my son would like for the wood to come off the property and be sawn by him.  Milling goes back a way in the family.  Great grandpa, and grandpa milled. Dad started with a "well" used circle mill, now on his third WoodMizer.

btulloh

Well that's a whole nother thing and a great reason.  I think someone already mentioned making a small ad hoc kiln for this job. Could be some rigid insulation duct taped together with a small home dehumidifier inside. Hard to find someone with a kiln business to take on a small amount of material.

I'd love to see pictures of the truck sometime. 

Best of luck. 
HM126

boardmaker

What type of mill does your dad have?  I'm guessing a circle?

Once you get the lumber sawn, let us know.  Hopefully we can help you find a way to get it dried that fits your timeline.

slanted6

Circle mill retired long ago. Dad's current WoodMizer is a LT40___. Don't remember the last designators. 

Thank You Sponsors!