iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cheap water pumping

Started by mike_belben, May 27, 2021, 10:36:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

looking through my junk pile for a means to manage dry season garden irrigation, and it donned on me the pile of appliances out back all have pumps.  i popped one off, 120VAC, 2 wire only, just 45watts and with a big open plastic impeller that can move small debris such as rain water will surely have.  its been outside in the rain for years.. plugged it in and it hummed away.  a scrap of radiator hose adapts it to pvc or NPT for fittings, whisper quiet and it moves a LOT of water for the tiny power consumption.  just a thought for you off grid watt misers looking to go all homesteady and what not.  dont overlook roadside appliances.  theres AC shutoff solenoids with hose connections in there too.  you could open a hose and turn on a pump with one light switch.  or better yet, a timer.  irrigate at 3am without even being awake.

might make a decent solar hot water circulator too. 
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

if you have access to a creek you can make a ram pump
no power needed to pump up hill

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=creek+ram+pump
"let the machines do the work"

mike_belben

my creeks run dry just as i need them  :D
Praise The Lord

peakbagger

I rigged up a system to pump out of an old shallow well to poly tank someone gave me. The poly tank is on top of pile of split wood I stacked. I pump up out of the well with a plastic bilge pump to an intermediate barrel and then pump up from the barrel to the tank with second pump. I used three solar panels sitting around the house from a prior project. Two of them are in parallel to run the pump in the bottom of the well and a single one pumps from the barrel. I have couple of float switches to shut the pumps off when the tanks are full. I dont get a lot of pressure from the poly tank but enough to water the garden.

Glenn

peakbagger

I have 2 1000 L square tanks on 8x8 cribbing.  The bottom of the tanks are about 4 1/2 feet off the ground.  I have a garden hose attached to the tanks and find it perfect for watering my orchard.  Way better than doing it with buckets !

peakbagger

I agree, I just wish I had enough height on my tank to be able to support a soaker hose. I have tried a couple of varieties including stuff that is claimed to be good for low pressure but they work for awhile and then slow down to nothing. I have flushed them out and got a bit more use but a fee days later they stop flowing. I finally started punching holes in one section and had a pseudo drip system. I decided to hold off spending any more money and I use an old fashioned whirly bird sprinkler that covers about 6' so I need to move it around. I might try drip tape next year.

DDW_OR

Quote from: mike_belben on May 27, 2021, 03:14:21 PM
my creeks run dry just as i need them  :D
during the flood stage divert some of the water into several LARGE black water tanks.
the clear or almost clear tanks allow algae to grow. the black tank stops sunlight

mike_belben

I just rigged up all the roofs for water collection and we are back to having rain again so im good.  
Praise The Lord

taylorsmissbeehaven

I collect water off the barn into totes painted black. I remodel a lot of bathrooms so those 80s jaccuzi tubs come out a lot. Pretty nice 120v pump under them that works great to keep water moving to the garden. Pretty easy to score if you keep an eye out and pretty easy to rig up. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

HemlockKing

I'm about to drill some wells myself because of the droughts lately(close to garden), I'm using a post hole manual auger welded extensions for 30ft, will take a few hours but I should be able to get 25-30 for down, PVC pipe drilled holes everywhere slides down in the bore hole comes out of the ground 4 ft, install smaller pvc inside larger and this one will connect to the pitcher pump which will sit on a block of wood with adapter to accept the pipe on it. I may put 3 or 4 of these around the property as "water fountains" or whatever. I suspect a hole 6 inch assuming bottom 10 ft fills with water will be anywhere 50-100 litres at the ready.
A1

SwampDonkey

You folks are more genius than me ;) I'm up on a ridge so all the water is 'down there'. Been hauling from the creek with a 30 gpm Honda pump into a 60 gallon tank. Since it's all hill here, I park the buggy uphill and hook on the garden hose without a nozzle. With a nozzle there is not enough pressure to do much good. I just use my fingers to control the spray pattern of the water. I don't think I burn more than a tank of gas all summer. And those tanks are not very big on a little pump. But sure wish the weather patterns were back to normal. Never had to water a garden in years past. ::)

Down the road 1/4 mile, if you could tap into the artesian you don't need a pump. When the neighbor dug the house well, that was like old faithful. It's a bit of a problem for my brother, as it surfaces near his property and keeps that corner wet all summer. Black dirt in there. I know where there is an old lumber camp site in the woods, water is artesian, camp long gone. 2" water pipe still there, 6 feet in the air, shoot'n water out. :D Gulquac stream, had to go in at 10 mile gate, from Plaster Rock mill. Haven't been there in over 30 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DDW_OR

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 19, 2021, 02:53:00 AM
You folks are more genius than me ;) I'm up on a ridge so all the water is 'down there'. Been hauling from the creek with a 30 gpm Honda pump into a 60 gallon tank.
have you thought of a Ram pump.
it uses water flow from the creek/river to pump water up hill.
runs 24/7
have it filling a water tank ontop of the ridge.

thecfarm

HemlockKing, drilling by hand 25 to 30 feet?  :o  I would start to hit rocks about 2 feet down.  ;D  
But saying that, I was able to drive a 6 foot grounding rod into the ground. I thought sure I would get about 3 feet and have to cut it off.
Wife was in the shower yesterday and I got the call, NO Water!! First thing I ask, you got electricity?  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

Quote from: thecfarm on June 22, 2021, 05:10:33 AM
HemlockKing, drilling by hand 25 to 30 feet?  :o  I would start to hit rocks about 2 feet down.  ;D  
But saying that, I was able to drive a 6 foot grounding rod into the ground. I thought sure I would get about 3 feet and have to cut it off.
Wife was in the shower yesterday and I got the call, NO Water!! First thing I ask, you got electricity?  ;)
Yeah I may fail or have to try a few different spots lol , I have a few areas in mind that mostly make up clay as far I can tell from digging 3 foot down. In areas where it's more Stoney the first 2-4
Ft make up of decent stone but nothing much more than a basket ball size, below that it's turns gradually finer until it's basically crusher dust/rock. 
A1

HemlockKing

About 5 foot deep here. Been using this on driveway
A1

DDW_OR

yep you got it all for a good road bed

First - big rocks
Second - medium rocks
Third (Top layer) - fine gravel and sand

have you ever panned it??

mike_belben

Oh lordy i wish i had a gravel pit.  Ive hand loaded and set entire demo'd foundations for road base.  Have collected the new layers of rocks from fill dirt piles exposed after every rain.  Free aggregates are hard to come by in clay country. 
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: DDW_OR on June 22, 2021, 10:30:50 PM
yep you got it all for a good road bed

First - big rocks
Second - medium rocks
Third (Top layer) - fine gravel and sand

have you ever panned it??
If you mean for gold no lol but it might be worth doing that I'm next to a fair size river. And yep I take the biggest rocks I can manage into a wheel barrel, atv trailer etc and lay that down for the bottom and then 2nd layer is decent rocks up to football size with soil then I try to only get that fine rocky bit for that top. 
A1

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on June 22, 2021, 11:17:30 PM
Oh lordy i wish i had a gravel pit.  Ive hand loaded and set entire demo'd foundations for road base.  Have collected the new layers of rocks from fill dirt piles exposed after every rain.  Free aggregates are hard to come by in clay country.
I have full on ridges and hills that's made up completely of this stuff I'm definitely fortunate with good fill. This is why I got rock quarry's in any direction I go when i leave my land lol 
A1

mike_belben

If youve got a lot of quartz in there, placer gold isnt unlikely.
Praise The Lord

peakbagger

Its going to be a dry summer, my solar well pump setup is no longer working as the water table dropped too low. I need to go with a positive displacement pump instead of an open impeller centrifugal bilge pump. I had a Nemo pump picked out as its the least expensive option I could find. They are on on backorder but should fit pretty well with the panels I have. Its a standard Shurflow type pump that a separate company converts to a submersible. 

chep

Check out bunyip pumps on the YouTube 

Pretty neat concept 

peakbagger

Thanks, it looks like ram pump which is great if someone has low pressure supply and wants to boost it up, unfortunately I do not have low pressure supply. The ram pumps have even fewer parts

mudfarmer

You will like the Nemo. Mine is only at 25ft but has pumped a lot of water.

peakbagger

I got the Nemo and was ready to hook it up and my poly tank sprung a leak. I need to fix it before the Nemo goes in. The tank was free about 20 years ago and I really do no know how old it is. It didn't have a steel frame and sagged when it was full and is leaking at a crease. Worse case is road trip to pick up a tank with cage on craigslist. 

It does look like a nice unit. 

Thank You Sponsors!