iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2021 Annual Forestry Forum Pig Roast August 6 & 7th, 2021!

Started by Jeff, June 09, 2021, 11:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

I did some trout fishing here in MO a few days ago and realized I needed a few more lures  before I come to Michigan.  I picked those up at Wally World today.  I've got some streams picked out around the Harrison area that I will try.  Are there any rules I should know about as far as lures.  I'm used to using little Rapalas for trout and spinners with treble hooks.  Just want to be prepared if there's any rules about hooks.  Barbless?  No trebles?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Jeff

I'd download the fishing guide from the dnr site to be sure. Your going to need a non resident license to fish here.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Jeff.  I have the site open for the license right now.  I'm guesing I'll have to get a week license.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Bill, I looked and just as all other states seem to be doing for the last 20 years MI really soaks the non-resident for licensing fees. My state is worse than most I'm sure. MI gets $10./day or $75/yr and you can get it online, not sure if you need to print it out or can just keep it on your phone, which my state allows. I did not see the one week license, that would be more better. I found the fess here: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79119_79146_82448---,00.html and that page also has links to various regs.

I am wondering what day you plan to arrive at hidden Hill. I hadn't planned on bringing gear, but I suppose I could, just don't think I will have time unless we arrived a day earlier than we planned by driving straight through. If my wife finds something to keep her interested, I might be persuaded to tag along even if I don't fish. I have been known to spend a very enjoyable day just poking around and flipping over rocks near waterways. ;D ( I am easily amused.)
 Oh and, you NEVER have enough lures, everybody knows that!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

Tom, I will be arriving on Monday evening and plan to fish tuesday, wednesday and thursday.  I imagine I will do a lot of driving around looking for spots since I don't have any insider info.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Well in the past I have found walking around a populated campground can be a fruitful source of local information. Good luck, I'm sure you will have it figured out by the time I get there.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Texas Ranger

For those of us stay at homes, we like pictures, videos, daily, and with ID's.  Lots of new folks.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Texas Ranger on July 26, 2021, 07:09:22 PM
For those of us stay at homes, we like pictures, videos, daily, and with ID's.  Lots of new folks.
I'll do my best @Texas Ranger 
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

QuoteNo trebles?
No trebles, no worries, only good times when you go to the Pig Roast. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Crusarius

Well shootsky!

I guess you guys all got the hotel rooms. hmmm now what?

Wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it till a couple days ago. now I need to figure out a place to stay.

Jeff

Clare and houghton lake are not far. They may have something.

church

Jeff & Tammi,
Although my wife & I have only attended one of your pig roasts it was / has been a good memory to have as part of our lives. While wanting to attend several times over the past few years, life had other plans. This year even with such a late notice / decision it looks as though we me be able to make the 30 minute drive to attend this year.
Church

Howdy

Rental cars are still unavailable at an affordable price, I just don't think paying enough to own a car for just a few days use is a good financial plan. 
 smiley_greg_walking_stilts

I will be flying into Chicago Thursday morning 5 August, and heading toward Harrison. 

Any ideas or suggestions as to the best way to get to the Pig Roast?  
Howdy
smiley_old_guy 

Jeff

I hope you get it figured out Howdy. Its a tough time to be traveling without a shored up plan.

trapper

can you take amtrack to colmbus wi?  35 miles from us.  we are leaving for harrison fri morning and will be there in time for supper, 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

GAB

Quote from: Howdy on July 28, 2021, 01:46:23 PM
Rental cars are still unavailable at an affordable price, I just don't think paying enough to own a car for just a few days use is a good financial plan.
smiley_greg_walking_stilts

I will be flying into Chicago Thursday morning 5 August, and heading toward Harrison.

Any ideas or suggestions as to the best way to get to the Pig Roast?  
Howdy
smiley_old_guy
Howdy:
Somewhere not to long ago someone mentioned that renting a moving van was easier and cheaper.
I do not know where they were or who mentioned it.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Howdy

Trapper, thanks for the kind offer, I will be arriving on Wednesday and staying till Sunday so I have sadly realized "buying" a rental car is the most convenient way to get to the Pig Roast.  

GAB great idea and I seriously considered Uhaul.

I looked into Private rental cars, getting a truck from Uhaul, and taking the train or bus to mid state Michigan then walking, jogging, and skipping my way to Harrison.  Uhaul was the cheapest at $350 for four days, private was next at $400, and a rental car was $436.  Getting to Uhaul or the private with luggage, a big heavy box full of fragile stuff and me was more trouble than it was worth.  The rental car place was at the airport, and a shuttle bus would provide me transportation to pick it up so the convenience sealed the deal.  

I GET TO ATTEND THE PIG ROAST !!!!  See y'all there.

doc henderson

Howdy, so glad.  I do not know what day I will be able to leave.  my plan was to leave Monday, now not sure with work.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

terrifictimbersllc

Glad to hear you got it worked out Howdy see you there!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

First time attending. Looking forward to this. Saw the food itinerary. Is there a sign up for other food and such to bring? Is there a donation "hat"? What do you need? Thanks. See you Friday!
Ken
Lowell, Michigan

Howdy

Good news /Bad news

Up for your lodging pleasure is a lovely studio cottage on close by Budd Lake.  Such a deal and so close to the Pig Roast too.  You will have to drive right by this incredible spot every time you travel the road to Jeff's house.  

I reserved the cabin for Thursday through Sunday and now have the opportunity to share with you my reservation. No scalper pricing here, I am willing to pass on the great deal I received when I booked the comfortable cottage right on the water.  Four days away from the cares and worries of life, four days of fun and frolic, four days of Pig Roast!!!!!

Cost is only $250.  I paid a non refundable deposit of $125 and am just looking to recover some of the expenses I will be out due to changing plans.  

If you are still looking for the perfect place to stay drop me a line and put your mind to rest.  

[font=Segoe UI, Segoe UI Web (West European), Segoe UI, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, Roboto, Helvetica Neue, sans-serif]Lakeside Waterfront Lodging[/font]
515 E Park St, US Bus 127, M-61
Harrison, MI 48625
1-888-999-1145 or 1-989-539-0706

doc henderson

sorry howdy.  similar situation for me,  i reserved camping spot, and our trailer is getting repairs and not done.  I had an offer to stay with someone at the campground, but have now rented a trailer to bring.  I would be out about 1500 bucks if I backed out now.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

firefighter ontheside

I think @Crusarius was looking for a place to stay.

We got home from Branson about 2 and have unloaded the stuff I don't need and I put some more clean clothes in there.  Had a guy come and buy a little wood from me.  Now I'm still hooked to the camper and ready to leave in the morning.  I need to fill with fuel first thing in morning as I'm well under 1/4.  Thats what happens when I don't get fuel on the way home from Branson.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

doc henderson

i hope to leave tomorrow afternoon or early Tuesday.  hope to arrive later Tuesday or early Wednesday.  

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 01, 2021, 05:24:53 PM
I think @Crusarius was looking for a place to stay.

We got home from Branson about 2 and have unloaded the stuff I don't need and I put some more clean clothes in there.  Had a guy come and buy a little wood from me.  Now I'm still hooked to the camper and ready to leave in the morning.  I need to fill with fuel first thing in morning as I'm well under 1/4.  Thats what happens when I don't get fuel on the way home from Branson.
And so it begins..... 8) :D fishin-smiley

Thank You Sponsors!