iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ridge Beam full log cut

Started by Ladysmith, March 31, 2016, 08:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ladysmith

Hello. I am seeking advice on how to handle a top ridge log. I am putting a new roof on an old cabin, changing pitch from 4/12 to 10/12. My plan is to use 8 inch full logs, with 12 foot rafters . if I cut the rafters at 50 degrees top end and butt them together on top of the ridge log, can I shave the ridge log and rafters to 50 degrees each for more log to log contact? I really don't know how to scribe and don't want to mess up any logs. Thanks.
Rich

Brad_bb

Post a pic of what you are describing.  This post will likely get moved to the timberframing and log building forum.  Send the moderator a note if you want to do that.  That is where this question should be.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

I guess my questions are will this be a supported ridge log? That means the log is under the rafters and supporting them? or will the rafters join into the sides of this ridge log?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ladysmith

The ridge log supports the rafters. Gable ends will support the ends of the ridge log. Ridge will have mid span vertical support log. Building is 20Lx14W. Gable ends will be framed lumber then covered with 1/2 logs. Is it best to flatten the log rafters and ridge beam where they intersect ? thanks.
Thanks.
Rich

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Ladysmith on April 01, 2016, 06:41:12 AM
Is it best to flatten the log rafters and ridge beam where they intersect ?

You could but don't cut off too much. Just enough to make a nice bearing surface.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

jander3

Ridge log with dimensional rafters.   Flattened the top and added some nailers so I wouldn't have to mess with various bird-mouths at the peak. I scribbed the cut where the contacted the ridge.  Not too difficult. 

If the rafter are small poles, sometimes you just nail them on.  You can cut the ridge to the angle you are looking for. 

On the old trapper cabins, folks would drop in a purlin log on each side of the ridge and nail some 1"-2" planking to the ridge and purlin and plate log.

Ladysmith

Thanks Jon, this helps a lot. Looks like we are both redoing roofs on old trapper cabins.Rich
Rich

Thank You Sponsors!