iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did not Bibby enough!

Started by drobertson, August 15, 2013, 08:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I've sawed enough to know better, but this one got me, no camera, sorry, but thought about it after Plenty of Bibbying, nice curved cuts, and low and behold bit at the end! saved the band, but what a chore, first time in quite a while,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Stuff happens David.

Don't ask me how I know!  :-X
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

grweldon

Please excuse my ignorance, but I don't understand this post.  It sounds like there might be some information there that would be valuable, but not unless I can understand it..

Please translate!  ;D
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

drobertson

Had a 38" butt log and thought I had trimmed the swells off enough to get my clearance and the slab cut, and I know it sounds crazy, but for whatever reason my saw will allow me to slowly cut in a curve, from either side,  anyway, thats' about it,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

"Bibby" is to trim down any parts of the log like a swell butt, before milling.  This is best done before the log is on the mill, though often done with with the log on the mill and the blade pushed as far into the log as it will go.  Then you have to back the blade out of the cut to make room for the chain saw, and trim the log on the mill.  Evidently, Dave didn't trim down the swell butt quite enough, and got the saw stuck at the very end of the cut, and popped the band off when a guide hit the log.

As for cutting a curve (I assume with the chain saw), I'm guessing that he has a .050 chain on a .058 bar, which gives it enough slop to cut a curve with his saw.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Magicman

I like the butt at the back of the sawmill except those that need Bibbying.  On those, I want the butt on the front so that I can be assured of passing before I enter the log.   Hitting the blade guide or backing out is a pain in the butt.

A 42" butt.

That butt Bibbyed down for sawing.

But here is a 45" Cypress butt on the back of the sawmill.

The Bibbying was easier because the sawhead was not in the way, but it took closer measuring.  I rotated it a couple of times with the log turner before I was satisfied that the blade guides would pass.

Even then I could only make a few passes before rotating 45° and "gun barreling" it down to sawing size.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

grweldon

Thank you for the explaination DBOYT and thanks for the pictures MAGICMAN.  Apparently "bibbying" is a term for at least one other act.  You explained bibbying as what you do when you load your logs on the trailer.  Are there any other processes that you are aware of that the term "bibbying" would apply to?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Ga Mtn Man

gr-  I think you may be remembering that wrong.  "Parbuckling" is a method for loading logs on a trailor.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

MRowsh

Thanks to all good explanations and pictures.  I do not have my saw mill yet, but I think I have learned a lot from you all.

And I guess it is a very good idea to measure twice at the big end, before the cut starts.  If I am not mistaken, The LogMaster ML2 can cut 36 inch wide. I have to go to their website and verify it.  If that is the case, I do not think I run into any such issues with all the initial logs that I have plan to cut. The biggest one which is hickory will be about 34 inches.

LogMaster LM2 with Kubota V1305 Diesel conversion.
There is a price for everything in life!!!  No free lunches!
Retired US Army.

grweldon

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 16, 2013, 11:45:55 AM
gr-  I think you may be remembering that wrong.  "Parbuckling" is a method for loading logs on a trailor.

You are correct... that's the term.  It's tough getting old when you used to be sharp as a tack!

Magicman

When you get a little older, you will not remember what a tack was or that it was sharp.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

Was the term "bibbying" around before "bibbyman" and he chose his handle based off of that or did bibbyman get known for shaving logs down to size and then the term "bibbying" came along?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

beenthere

As I recall, Bibby made one of his good posts about how to get a large oversize log down to size on his bandmill. As others wanted to refer to his well-described method (which I recall as including the gun-barreling technique which I think was a Bibby-given name), then it was easy to say "bibbying" the log on the mill.

I could be remembering wrong, but that is the way I do recall it.  :snowball:   ;D

I suspect Bibbyman's handle came from his wearing of the bib overalls. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

The method of sawing off oversize parts of a log was invented long before my time. I know it as barrel sawing.  I may well have been the first on the Forum to post pictures and description of the process as done on band mill.

I use this method when quarter sawing also. It removes most all the bark that would be edged off anyway and makes flats at 45° that can clamped against when sawing the quarters.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

drobertson

I am new to the forum in respect to some of the others, and did this for logs that were over the size limit before knowing the correct term ;D  but it fits quite well, and I kinda like it when I don't get greedy ;D  practice makes perfect,   david

redprospector

Quote from: grweldon on August 16, 2013, 01:58:10 PM
Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on August 16, 2013, 11:45:55 AM

You are correct... that's the term.  It's tough getting old when you used to be sharp as a tack!

As I get older, I've noticed that sharp tacks have flat heads.  :D  smiley_beertoast

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

5quarter

The WM mill is uniquely designed for Bibbying down big logs. since the head runs on a monorail, the log loading side of the mill fully unobstructed. I would not be surprised if someone here has not "bibbyed down" a 50" log at one time or another.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Magicman

I had a 52" Pecan on my sawmill.  There are things that people just should not do.  No matter how much you Bibby, the blade will only raise to 36" above the sawmill bed.  Period.   :-\   

WDH

How did you get it off  ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

Quote from: Magicman on August 17, 2013, 08:46:18 AM
I had a 52" Pecan on my sawmill.  There are things that people just should not do.  No matter how much you Bibby, the blade will only raise to 36" above the sawmill bed.  Period.   :-\

If you are stubborn enough you can find a way.   I have cut deep notches where the log set on the bed rails so fat logs would set lower on the mill.   If you can't raise the bridge, lower the water kind of thinking.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

One piece at the time.   ;D

But as I said, "There are things that people just should not do."   :-\

5quarter

MM...you shoulda cut it. either would have killed you or made you famous... ;D I've cut many logs that were way too big for my mill. stoopid? yes. impractical?. yes. unprofitable? mostly, yes. Incredibly fun and worth the brag?  most definitely yes.   ;D 8)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!